RT55 vs RT55i - Is there a difference ??

spyderman
spyderman Posts: 678
edited November 2002 in Speakers
I recently came across a pair of RT55's. I couldn't find any info on this model. Does anyone know if there is a big difference between the RT55 and RT55i? I added a Csi40, but I'm not certain if they match particularly well. Any comments and all comments appreciated.

Regards,
Spyder
RTi70 Fronts
CSi40 Center
RTi38 Rear
PSW650 Sub
Str-de1075 Receiver

Hope is on the way!

ABB

Post edited by spyderman on

Comments

• TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited November 2002
    the tweeters on the two models are different. The plain RT55's have a silkt type 1" tweeter...vs. the 1" metal of the 55i's and an updated xover...And i beleive real wood veneir also...but they should be pretty compatable sound wise
  • caseymou
    caseymou Posts: 327
    edited November 2002
    I bought a pair of the 55's not the i model and am perfectly happy with them. I paid considerably less for them than the i's too. I am still lusting after the 55i's in cherry though, that blue woofer is really nice looking. As a side note, I noticed my 55's have a dull silver colored tweet while my RTE35's have a black one. Anyone with answers for that?
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited November 2002
    i got a better question - where in the el is a RTi55?????? I WANT ONE IF THEY'D COME OUT WIT ONE!!!
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited November 2002
    It can out when the rest of the rt-i line came out.
    rt55i
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited November 2002
    not the rt55i -- a rtI55
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • scottvamp
    edited November 2002
    What the hell is a rt(capital I)55?
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited November 2002
    *sigh* ... u know the new RTIxx series? well they made a rti38, rti28, etc.......but they made absolutely NO RTI55!!!!!!!!!!!!WTF IS UP WIT THAT! lol....now u know what i talkin about? lol
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • scottvamp
    edited November 2002
    O.K. I get you now. Hey screw that 55 man. They went past that - go for the rti150. Nice little beast of a speaker.
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited November 2002
    I thought the RT55 and RT55i have the same trilaminate tweeters, the differents were the driver materials and the box finishing and some minor changes on the cross-over?
  • caseymou
    caseymou Posts: 327
    edited November 2002
    I'd sure like to know but all I ever get is wishy-washy answers. Probably one call to Ken S. would clear this all up. Who wants to make it?
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited November 2002
    i think they had the same tri-lamb tweeter but the rt-55i haves a molded baffel
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited November 2002
    if u didnt no im 14 - a kid - and i have a small room wit all these speakers in it...lol no room for towers, and i myself dont like towers preferably...and i wanted to get some rti55 with christmas money.....but there isnt ne....ohh well....
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited November 2002
    We Asked Polk before they released the New RTI line..and they said they had no Plans to replace the RT55I- Said it did not sell as well.... and they were shrinking thier product line a little bit.

so only way you gonna get something like the 55 or 55i is used ... unless you can find a new pair some shop had in the attic :0)
  • spyderman
    spyderman Posts: 678
    edited November 2002
    I think there was too much product cross-over between the Rt55i and Rti70. Lets face it, why buy the Rti70 when you can get almost the exact same speaker in a bookshelf???

Considering the cost of the Lsi series I'm sure they needed to be a little leaner too.
    RTi70 Fronts
    CSi40 Center
    RTi38 Rear
    PSW650 Sub
    Str-de1075 Receiver

Hope is on the way!

ABB

• jerryez
    jerryez Posts: 17
    edited November 2002
    Polk needs some sequencing to their numbering system. It makes no sense.
    jerry
  • Alejandro
    Alejandro Posts: 7
    edited November 2002
    Ok, I've a pair of RT55 and they sound fantastic.
    They don't have real wood and blue drivers but I love them.

Is realy impresive the sound that comes out of them.
    My Setup:
    C-5 Dual-Zone Carver Preamp.
    Tfm-15 Carver High-Current/High-Voltage Power Amp.
    TLM-3600 10-CD Compact Disc Changer
    CDP-CE545 Sony CD Changer
    MDS-JB940 Sony Mini Disc
    RT55 Biwired Polk
    Just Stereo. Nice and real Stereo.

It's not the music
    it's the sound.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2002
    My take on it, from a past discussion with Ken S, the tweeters in the 55 and 55i are slightly different, but one would be hard pressed to hear difference.

The RTxx and RTxxI series all used a Tri-laminate silk dome. They are all soft domes (silk), with vapor-deposited layers of aluminum, magnesium, and titanium, if I'm not mistaken. The NEW RTixx series does not have this 'layering', but is for all intents and purposes the same tweeter. There have been network mods from each 'jump' in the series, but they remain subtle at best.

The RTxx, RTxxI, and RTixx series (cs and fx included) should all match tonally. I don't think the new RTi series sounds EXACTLY the same as the prior version, but the tonal characteristics are still there. I think you shouldn't worry about using the new CSi series centers with ANYTHING starting in 'RT'.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2002
    Taken even farther, IMO, no two speakers are going to sound EXACTLY the same unless you are using the exact same speaker all the way around. As Russ noted, any RT series speaker will mate with each other more than adequately.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut