4 Ohms vs 8 Ohms

alau
alau Posts: 1
edited November 2002 in Troubleshooting
I bought a pair of used speakers and found out that the tweeters have been replaced with 4 Ohms while all other mid/woofers are 8 ohms. The speaker manual said it should 8. However, they sound fine.

Is there a problem if I keep running it as it or it may potential damage some other parts of the speaker.

Please advise ASAP since on one hand I want to enjoy them but the other hand I am so worry that I will mess them up. Thanks in advance for any advise & help.
Post edited by alau on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited October 2002
    Hello,
    Welcome to the Forum. Without knowing more about the original crossover design it's hard to say. How about the other speaker? Is it's tweeter the same? Is this a Polk speaker? I can offer more information if I have a few more details.
    Regards, Ken Swauger
  • Xzuluns
    Xzuluns Posts: 8
    edited November 2002
    If they sound ok then I wouldn't worry. The overall Impedance of the entire speaker is what is important. I do advise you try to find out what the original tweeters were. Best performance comes from using genuine replacement parts.
    PolkLover
  • liv4fam
    liv4fam Posts: 311
    edited November 2002
    It really depends on how the crossover is configured.
    Kenneth is right we need to know more about the design to further help answer your question but you should get those tweeters out of there and put in the right ones so the speaker has the original balance from when it was made.