Hoosier21 goes analog

hoosier21
hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
edited November 2002 in 2 Channel Audio
Actually I got two. One is on the way, but this weekend I went over to Atlanta and bought a Music Hall MMF7, NICE tt, but it is a little too nice for me. I have tons of records but 80-90 percent of them are from the days when I did not handle them very well and I am afraid of putting them on the MMF7's 400.00 needle. So I am hoping the Yamaha tt and it’s 50.00 needle gets here soon. Or that I get a good cleaner SOON.

This has been a very nice trip down memory lane. I have so real nice records, my Dad worked at CBS records for 37 years and I did for 5, so I have a great collection, only wish I would have gotten more, I am sickened by the fact that a small flood at the house ruined about half of what I had! And the fact that many yard sales had taken its toll on Dads collection over the years.

As I sift through the boxes, many take me back to times I wish I could do again. There is so many lp’s that I have that I do not have on CD and playing them has been a great treat. Artwork on the jacket and liner notes on the sleeves, a forgotten pleasure.

The bad part, as great as it has been playing all these records, there is a downside.
1. No skip button. Actually this is bittersweet, you have to listen to the whole side of the record, sweet in that you sit and listen to the artist and give all the songs a fair chance instead of skipping through the whole CD in 10 min., bitter in that you have to listen to the whole effing thing, sometimes this is tiresome.
2. You have to get up and flip the record, again not a big deal, but if you are really digging the record this can break the spell.
3. Snap Crackle Pop, and other surface noises, enough said
4. These things are heavy and big, I am whining now, but Jesus.

The sound: Well it is a very nice and warm sound, you definitely hear the music, I don’t think I am getting the wide soundstage I get with CD’s but the “tone” (Madmax 001 phase) is an even trade off, there is a “rounder” feel to the music and it just makes you smile .
Dodd - Battery Preamp
Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
Outlaw ICBM - crossover
Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
Post edited by hoosier21 on

Comments

• Paul Connor
    Paul Connor Posts: 231
    edited November 2002
    Hoosier,

How are you cleaning your vinyl? It can make a huge difference, especially for older records.
  • Paul Connor
    edited November 2002
  • rlw
    rlw Posts: 231
    edited November 2002
    That's great news, and I hope you enjoy every moment of the LP experience.

A couple comments: like Paul said, a cleaner can make all the difference in the world. Those records that have been through a flood? Should be able to scrub them clean with the record cleaning machine, and play them just fine. I've cleaned off records that were pretty much covered in mold, mildew, water, and grunge.

The soundstage: doublecheck your cart/arm setup. Little things like alignment can make a huge difference to this aspect of the sound.

Suggestion: buy 1 new LP, make it an audiophile pressing of something you like. Get an idea of what your table can do.

If you'd like, you can send a couple of your dirty LP's to me. I'll clean them, and return them via media-rate mail. This will let you know if a cleaner is worth the coin.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited November 2002
    First of all, non of the "flood" records have been played. Even tho they only appear to have jacket wringles and the lp's look new and unharmed, I have not played any of those, yet, waiting on the "junker" for those.

I have only played the records that were still sealed, or looked MINT. Police: ghosts in the machine, John Cougar Mellencamp: Lonesome Jubilee a test record from Ohm speakers, Willie Nelson: Half Nelson.... oh and the Glen Fry: No fun aloud, I had for got this little jem of work.

I have nothing to clean them with YET, that is why I have only used the sealed/mint lp's.

Soundstage, ? am I using the correct term?, I have the SDA 1.2tl and I am use to having the sound expand beyond the left and right of the speaker, so far it has been limited to "between" the speakers. Now I do have depth, front to back imaging, but the left to right seems smeared and narrow, you are correct it may be a set up problem, I need some of my old set up tools back.

RLW - thanks for the offer, I will think about it.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited November 2002
    Is it true that a good cleaning and use of an anti-static gun can make a used record quiet again? Obviously a little quieter but by how much?
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2002
    hoosier21 nice, very nice tt. I once checked out the Music Hall tt. wow.. amazing. i'm sure it will sound awesome. what are you running it with? What kind of receiver or components?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited November 2002
    What's with all the hype surrounding vinyls? A lot of audiophiles seem to enjoy vinyl more. Do they bring back memories to you or do they really sound that much better compared to CD's?

Maurice
  • Paul Connor
    edited November 2002
    I have heard great things about the Music Hall TT's. Happy to hear you are enjoying the pleasures of music on vinyl. Of course I am somewhat biased.

Interest in lp's has grown in the last five years or so. I would even venture to say that the equipment is better today than it was in the heyday of lp's.

I guess for some of us nostalgia is a factor, but for me it offers a warm and pleasing sound and I can say that without taking anything away from the digital formats available today. I listen to both.

Keep us posted on your experiences.

Paul