Multi-channel Amp Opinions?

2»

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2002
    Oversimplification Dan. Period. IF all channels used the EXACT same amount of juice at the same time, all the time, I MIGHT by your argument. There are just too many variables in the chain to make a blanket statement like that. PLUS, people have been bi-amping with different amps for many years (before you were an itch in your daddy's pants) with pleasant results. I see your concerns but, again, I have a little real world testing on my side to there cochese and can say that it can and will work.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited November 2002
    OK,
    I see what you saying......you don't really have a anal opnion on how home theater should be carefully setup.....thats cool.

So lets go to your world.....if I wanted to use monoblocks for a 2 channel stereo system.....could I use a 100 watt amp for the left channel and a 250 watt amp for the right channel?Music listening doesn't always play the same exact things at the same exact times.So then with that logic,I could pull this off and never know the difference.....it should work.Am I off base here?

Now to add to the amp thing, both amps I would use in this setup would be from the same company,so the 2 amps at least wouldn't sound completely different.

I ask this only because I'm just trying to figure out your logic.....not a pissing match as this seems to be going this way.....I say eff the pissing match and lets talk about unequal power for a moment.

As I posted before,
    I have ran into the unequal power situation before....many times in fact.The one time that really sticks out,is the high end theater I did with Martin Logan and Proceed.7.1 setup.The main channel speakers where ran off a 250watt Proceed amp,and the center and rears where run off a 100watt 5channel amp.Now when running alot of different scenes from movies I know extremely well,I noticed the main channels overpowering the system when dynamic condisions occur....example.....the Pod racer scene from Star Wars EP1.......when the pods race around the room,when the come out of right or left channel main speaker,spl hit 107db....when the same exact moving sound entered the center,it fell off to 98db,then in the rears,it fell off to 99 db.So what I'm saying is ,it was noticable.At first I wasn't aware of the unequal power,It was my very first time dealing with Proceed.I didn't know much about there power rating's, then I researched it, and found what I found.
    What I will leave you with is I personally heard a big difference in that system,I was real hard pressd to balance the system,The SPL meter/s I was using,I basically wanted to throw it out the window.
    Now the reason the main amp was different then the 5 channel amp,as I was told was the owner wanted more power to drive the main speakers for 2 channel listening......thats fine as he owned Martin Logan Prodigy's.But in 7.1 mode for home theater,doing so made his system suffer.He should have used equal power all the way around.......figure this out, he was a tigh wad and tried to cut corners in his system where possible....**** the entire system was over 60 grand not including the room,theater chairs etc........I don't get it.
    On a smaller level I noticed similar results in my system of past.I owned 2 different power amps and it sounded different when running home theater.My last receiver was a Denon avr3801....even when taking my Lsi 15's out of the picture,replaceing them with the rt1000p's in my old 7.1rt system(cs400i,rt35i's,fx/500's,psw450)using my Rotel amp on the mains messed up the experience.......for me that is........I had to run the rt1000p's off the Denon's amps and everything was seemless again.....some of the change I believe to me that the Rotel sounded completely different then the Denon's amps........now not just Dynamic differences....but Tonal as well....So....thats what I'm talking about.
    Peace.....:)

O just thought of something.........the front 3 channels......what's your thoughts of at least keeping them all the same power....
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • TroyD
    edited November 2002
    Ok, I hadn't really considered the monoblock thing but I can address that too. I'm assuming that the corresponding L/R channels are running on the same amp.

Now, as far as your monoblock theory, it COULD work. Let's say you have a reasonably efficient pair of speakers, 2ch, how much juice do you think they are really going to use? I would say that the 100wpc amp would be sufficient in terms of power and headroom under normal conditions. That being said, under NORMAL listening conditions (assuming the amps were voiced similarly) that you probably would never know the difference. Matter of fact, George's bridged Carver's are of different power ratings (granted it's a small amount) and I can tell you that you can't tell one from the other.

No pissing contest Dan, I just don't agree with your opinion. All of your channels don't require the same amount of power. As I said, as long as you aren't clipping the amp and are operating within it's designed capabilities, it will work.

As far as the front three channels, it's not necessary. I've used a 350wpc amp for my fronts and a 140wpc amp to biamp my center and got stellar results.

BDT
  • TroyD
    edited November 2002
    Ok, I finally was able to wade through the ML / Proceed thing........I think the culprit in this case is the speakers rather than the amp. Just a guess but, In my case, when I was using the DQ's as mains in HT before I had "The Shane" up and running, I would run in to some situations sort of like you describe. I would attribute that more to the speakers not matching in terms of efficiency than I would the amps. Unless, of course the amp was clipping. That's just my opinion though.

BDT
  • mantis
    edited November 2002
    Tory....I 'll give you this....you didn't say blah blah blah and add nothing to this topic.......I respect that.

The Martin system was matched all speaker where 4 ohm.Martin Logan are one of the most demanding speakers I had ever seem....they can suck the life right out of an amp....sorta like your DQ-10's can..you need alot of power to get them to go.Martin loagan speakers dip down in the 1 ohm load alot.....
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited November 2002
    That being the case, then the amp wasn't up to the task. I've stipulated all along that as long as the amp isn't being overtasked. That's just a case of not having enough power.

BDT
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2002
    Hey, I made my opinion on the matter public, then you jumped the shark with Resume quotes and some brand-name tossing.....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    edited November 2002
    O yes Russ I did read your opnion on this topic.....I read blah blah blah blah blah.......
    Dan
  • Eddie624
    Eddie624 Posts: 77
    edited November 2002
    My dad can kick your dads ****!!! So there
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited November 2002
    Eddie624,
    I see that you have only posted 69 times, But I like you goddammit!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • jmierzur
    jmierzur Posts: 489
    edited November 2002
    Didn't know the older manuals were online.

Rotel RB-956AX