Picture tube or rear projection tv's?

wcostin
wcostin Posts: 25
edited November 2002 in Electronics
anyone have thoughts on the pros and cons of either? I am looking at purchasing a widescreen tv...looking at the RCA 38" picture tube widescreen and the Mitsubishi 46" widescreen rear projection. I was wondering what others views are...which is best, any problems, etc?

Thanks.
Post edited by wcostin on

Comments

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited October 2002
    anyone have thoughts on the pros and cons of either?
    Size. You'll spend more and get less (size) going with a tube.

As for picture quality, I've owned a Mits 46" 16:9 for nearly a year and a half now. Back in February I had it professionally ISF calibrated and I'll put it up against any tube TV as for picture qulaity. Out of the box you may get a better picture from a tube, but after using AVIA or going the ISF route you'll meet or beat that of a tube.

Also, projection sets are so much more versatiale for tweaking for optimum picture quality. With tubes, your much more limited.

I'll never buy a tube TV again.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • jmasterj
    jmasterj Posts: 327
    edited October 2002
    I own that mits 46 in. too, love it. fits my apartment just right the
    picture has been awesome haven't had any problems. Haven't
    seen HDTV with it yet, but digital cable movie channels, and dvd's
    played with progressive scan are candy. I thought about that RCA
    38 in. but i decided to go with the Mits. Price and value it is hard to beat.
    JmasterJ Polk to the Death
  • ted538
    ted538 Posts: 63
    edited October 2002
    just got the HD box for my 46" Mits...what an absolute amazing picture..it`s almost as good as a dvd picture..can`t wait to watch the Sopranos in HiDef tomorrow night..
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited October 2002
    Trouble is brewing on the Sopranos... the show has been tough following, but we're hoping for the best.
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited October 2002
    the olny thing is that regular cabble has so lo res sigonal i have to sit so fat back so th pic is not graney i wish hi def was cheaper and i could get it for cabble in my area
  • ted538
    ted538 Posts: 63
    edited October 2002
    going...u loaded bro?
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited October 2002
    pro-jo
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited October 2002
    yep
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • jdavy
    jdavy Posts: 380
    edited November 2002
    Sorry to be a party pooper but I like tubes. The only good projection I have seen was a pioneer. Spend some money and go Plasma.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited November 2002
    I like tubes too and one day when I've spent enough on audio I think I'll go Plasma.....lookin' mighty fine.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited November 2002
    Plasma, yeah we'd all agree and prefer that route.

Watch out for the warrantys on these plasmas or crash and burn !

Plasmas will only get better each year and because their the trendy thing to get, expect price wars over the next couple years!!
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited November 2002
    I'm with Ron - RPHDTV all the way. Mine was also ISF calibrated and the picture and color rendering is outstanding. There is no discernible visible difference between tube and RP technology. You can get a bigger picture with RP, anyway.

I have seen plasma and I am not impressed any more than I am with RPHD. Honestly, the plasma did have a better sense of 3D "depth" that was lacking on the RP, but that was about it.

According to the specs on the unit, the plasma screen resolution is no better than any other type of HDTV technology. Remember, any TV's resolution is only as good as the signal it is fed.

The only real plasma advantage is the flat thin body, which makes it easy for wall mounting. Also, the sales rep told me the same thing about reliability - plasma crashes and burns within 4 years. At $8 large a pop, eff that.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited November 2002
    I've also been told that plasma is non-repairable because they are a sealed unit. True or not I do not know, but I will never by a plasma screeen, waste of money. For that amout of coin I'd go FP and fill my wall with picture.

RPTV can put out as good a picture (even better than if calibrated properly) as plasma, tube or FP's. It's all in the tweaking and RPTV's are very tweakable, more so than plasma or tube.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.