Mantis? Anyone? Rotel?

Options
phuz
phuz Posts: 2,372
edited November 2002 in Electronics
I was at a local hi-fi shop today and they had a Rotel RB990 amp (200 x 2)for sale used, $150!

I listened to it and it sounded pretty damn good, but what are your opinions on rotel? I was dead set on Adcom for a while, but I really don't know if I can pass up this deal.
Post edited by phuz on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2002
    Options
    You were a moron for not taking it home with you. Dude, a name brand like Rotel, and operational, under a dollar a watt?

Jesus, get your **** off the forum, and go get your amp....pronto.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Gotta back Russ on this one.....get the F over there and grab it.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    edited September 2002
    Options
    I'm going to back Russ and Ron.....GET IT NOW!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2002
    Options
    If you even had to ASK, you should have your **** kicked on principle alone.

Man, why can't I find stuff like that....

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • phuz
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN

Jesus, get your **** off the forum, and go get your amp....pronto.

I did just that! Just got home. This thing looks like it's never even been touched. :)

Don't make me feel stupid guys, I was holding out for a 5ch amp!

I'm off to hook it up and play for a while. I'll be back around later.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Congrats, the other Aaron:)

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Welcome to the world of seperates....

No one was trying to imply stupidity, but rather stress urgency ;)

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • phuz
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Thanks everyone. This amp is awesome. :)

Time for more upgrades.... maybe with this luck I'll find some LSi15's for $500. (riiiiiiiiiiight)
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2002
    Options
    good on ya man, hide it when Russ comes to town.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Glad to see you took it.I wouldn't pass that deal up.Did you happen to get a matching Rotel Preamp???
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • jmasterj
    jmasterj Posts: 327
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Phuz ,

I'm glad you went on and brought it. I just got a two-channel 250 watt Carver. I couldn't pass it up. Just wait till you hook it up. It's
    gonna let you hear those speakers like you never have before. Get some good speaker wire. It does make a difference. Remember what you put in determines what you get out.
    JmasterJ Polk to the Death
  • phuz
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by mantis
    Glad to see you took it.I wouldn't pass that deal up.Did you happen to get a matching Rotel Preamp???

No I'm using my HK AVR-510 as a pre. I am getting better sound out of my R40's with the Rotel amp, especially at high volumes. I'm not up on all the technical terms but it just sounds much fuller and warmer than it did with only the HK. Someday I will go with complete seperates, but right now I'm saving my pennies for a full set of the LSi line. :)

I guess all of the pre-amps these days do DD and DTS decoding? Do they have most of the same bass managemet features that the usual recievers have? I guess I'll have to come to terms with letting go of the bells and whistles before I think of seperates. Can a pre-amp make that much of a difference in the sound?

I'm sort of modeling my system after one of my friends systems that I've always been impressed by. He's one of my older friends that knows a lot about almost everything. I learned tons about pro-audio from him (used to work for him at a club) and tons of other things - so I trust his judgement - and well, his system sounds awesome so I'm trusting that too. ;)

He's the kind of guy that could afford seperates and $10,000 speakers if he wanted to - but he didn't do it so that has to say something. He's got a sony ES reciever, sony ES cd player, an Adcom 2ch amp with top of the line boston speakers all the way around and a HUGE velodyne sub. It sounds awesome so I figure the direction I'm going can't be all that far from it. That is, unless the LSi's don't compete with the Bostons? (I'm sure I'll get a non biased answer to that question!)

I'm using JPW cables, and some monster interconnects and I'm getting more and more content with every passing day and every little upgrade. I'm actually suprised at the R40's right now. One year ago I had an old JVC pro logic reciever and a mix match of yamaha, jbl, and bose speakers - and when I look back at how it sounded I cringe. I really have to say thanks to Polk and this forum (and especially everyone here) for everything. I'm still new to this, but at this point I'm thinking of giving up my career in hi-tech and going to hi-fi. hah

I'll probably pick up some transparent interconnects this weekend and do some more searching for some good deals. I'll let you all know if I find anything. :)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    edited September 2002
    Options
    The answer to your pre-amp question is YES.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mantis
    edited September 2002
    Options
    2nd that!!
    Dan
  • phuz
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Someday I'll get a pre, I'm happy using my HK right now. :) Nothing is getting in my way of the LSi15's now.

So whats all this hooplah about dual mono apms etc? Also, is there any good single source (website) to educate myself on all the ins and outs of hi-fi? I've got the basics down so I need something a bit in depth, and with all of the proper terms for technical stuff as well as descriptive terms (bright, soundstage, muddy, etc - yes I know most are somewhat self explanitory, but still....)????
  • mantis
    edited September 2002
    Options
    in short dual mono amps use seperate power supplies and caps for each channel.NON dual mono design amps share the power supply and a set of caps.

In theory this is a better design of more on the lines of monoblocks sharing one chasis and a powercord.
    Rotel makes most of there amps in this fashion.

You after Lsi 15's huh.........my advice well I was wondering how many different speakers you compared them 2??I did to many pairs for my own good.But the Lsi 15's are one hell of a speaker,they WOW me still on a regular basis.
    Dan
  • phuz
    edited September 2002
    Options
    I've listened to all of the speakers at best buy, circuit city (including their polk stuff), paradigm, magnepan, psb, definitive, martin logan, boston, B&K, and more. For my price range I liked the PSB, Boston, and definitive, but I have not yet seen or heard any reason to make a switch to another brand - besides I'm loyal. ;) I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is just something about Polk Audio - or maybe I'm just stubborn. *shrug*

I've heard the LSi9 and everything else LSi except the 15's and 25's - and I trust that they will be just as good as the rest. One of the only local places that caries the LSi15's has not set them up yet for demo, but I'm expecting a call from them in the next week or two when they get them set up.

Mantis how long would you say it took for you to break in your 15's? 5 hours? 20 hours?
  • mantis
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Break in on the Lsi15???
    Man more like 40 to 60 hours.......but they sweat in up after about 20 hours, you notice a difference in bass performance as well.
    The entire speaker starts to settle in after alot of playing time.I also use pink noise for even break in.But only when nobodies home including myself.
    Dan
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Dan,
    Just got my LSi15 (Finally!) a beaut piece of furniture, aren't they?It came with rubber feet, but no spikes in sight...Do they supposed to come with both? if not, where do you suppose I can get one? thanks, fh:confused:
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Pull that rubber foot off, and get your spike on. Right fellas? Am I high?

And yes, they are as much a piece of fine furniture/art, as they are a fine loudspeaker. Good on ya, congrats on the new addition.

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • phuz
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Russman is correct. Pull those rubber feet of and viola, spikes. The spikes are inside of the rubber feet.

Congrats, welcome to the LSi club. You'll love it!
  • polkatese
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Russ,
    thanks, you're right! It's soooo gorgeous, borderline exotic. worth the wait, definitely...LSi Rocks! thanks again, cheers..fh
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • mantis
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Congrads dude..........now the fun begins.......There should be a new section of the forum...........Lsi.
    Dan
  • polkatese
    edited November 2002
    Options
    now the hard part, finding ways to automate the burn in process while I am away...fh
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2002
    Options
    May I recommend Prodigy - Fat of the Land, my burn in selection of choice. You need not worry though, break-in is inevitable, as long as you actually 'use' your new toys.

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • mantis
    edited November 2002
    Options
    I agree with that.........It just takes longer for the process.

If your going to let them play all day while your out at work or wherever........running test tone works awesome,if you have good dynamic classical music..that works well,even some real funky jazz will work.......but don't sweat it...........they will break in ....in all due time......and they just get better with age......like fine wine.
    Dan