Reciever choices..

Options
bobbyk
bobbyk Posts: 4
edited October 2002 in Electronics
Just got the new RTi 150's.
Wondering what reciever to choose..I'm looking at HK AVR 320 and Yamaha HTR 5590.

Any suggestions????
Post edited by bobbyk on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Very cool man..Welcome to our humble forum..or is it??????

anyway with the caliber of speakers you just picked up,Id consider more of flagship level like Denon avr4802 or avr5803.
    Pioneer Elite vsx47tx or vsx49txi.If you can have it Id run over to a Tweeter near you and check out the B&K avr307.It's going disco as the new avr507 is out.Another would be Rotel rsx1055 or rsx1065.

Marantz sr18 is really nice.........I 'm not sure if they have a new model out yeat or the correct model for there flagship.I listened to a couple of there receivers and was Impressed everytime.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited October 2002
    Options
    What's your budget?

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    Options
    He murdered it on mains.......I believe he would want supporting cast I believe.
    Dan
  • bobbyk
    edited October 2002
    Options
    I'm budgeting around $1500(cdn dollars)...
    Just bought new house so a bit tight..U know how it is..

I ran the fronts on a "POS" Pro logic reveiver and they came out quite good.I guess they require a brak in period as well..

Don't U think HTR 5590 can run them well???
    It is 110Wx6
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    Options
    It's you call dude.I just perfer a warmer sounding receiver like Deno or Rotel.The Rotel rsx1055 you should check out.Don't rush into any peice or go solo on what any of us recomend.Its a starting place but it's an entire mating game that needs to be played.............
    Dan
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited October 2002
    Options
    EDIT: Ok thats about $950 US.

For that price range check out Rotel, Denon, and NAD.

I own an HK, and at this point I wouldn't recommend them because of a few small problems I've had.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited October 2002
    Options
    phuz, what kind of problems did you have with h/k?

I have the 520 and so far so good... I think anyway.
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • schumach
    schumach Posts: 199
    edited October 2002
    Options
    If you are thinking of the HK 320 you might want to wait another month for the 325 or 525. If you still want to go with the 320 or 520 you will get a better price at that time. You can check out the specs on each of these units on onecall.com, the links on the HK page are not working. Good luck and enjoy
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Hey Bobbyk, welcome to the forum. I got your email, but these guys are the guys to listen to. I'm just a marketing geek. I don't know from technical stuff.

I would choose a high quality, high current, high watts-per-channel receiver. We like Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon, HK (and the like) here @ Polk. I own NAD and Denon, and would recommend them.

And then post and let us know what those awesome RTi150's sound like!
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • rlw
    rlw Posts: 231
    edited October 2002
    Options
    For your budget, and your great speakers, I'd at least give some thought to buying a couple-year old flagship receiver.

E.G., there's a Denon 5700 over on AudioGon for USD1095 or best offer...

I only mention Denon b/c we have the 5600, and it's been used nearly every day for the past 4-5 years, and is rock-solid. I'm sure the other major players are equally as reliable.

IMHO, there's nothing wrong with a couple year old model. It might not have all the latest bells 'n' whistles, but unless you really need them, why pay for them?
  • bobbyk
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Guys,thanx 4 ur input. The reason I wanted a HK or Yamaha is because I'll get 50% off the retails price of any of them.
    I work for Future Shop hence we get factory rates.We only carry Yamaha,HK out of major brands.

Does that change ur perspective a bit??
    HK AVR 320 retails is $1299.99
    Yamaha HTR 5590 retail is $1299.99
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2002
    Options
    For the coin, the Carver C1000, can be found used in that pricerange. I would give it some thought as well.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited October 2002
    Options
    can the 320 do MP3? if not stick to the 520...
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • schumach
    edited October 2002
    Options
    I am not sure where you are getting the retail prices from, but the list price for the 520 is $999 and it usually retails for about $899. I have seen the 320 retail for $699 and onecall.com has a 10% off sale on it currently. Just thought I would throw this out there.
  • phuz
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by schumach
    I am not sure where you are getting the retail prices from, but the list price for the 520 is $999 and it usually retails for about $899. I have seen the 320 retail for $699 and onecall.com has a 10% off sale on it currently. Just thought I would throw this out there.

He's in Canada, and speaking in terms of Canadian cash.

I wonder, if items like the ones discussed here cost more in Canada? Either way the Canadian dollar is higher than the US dollar.
  • phuz
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by HBombToo
    phuz, what kind of problems did you have with h/k?

I have the 520 and so far so good... I think anyway.

I'm on my second 510 right now. The first had a weak main channel, and would cut out (turn off) after about an hour or two of use. This was with my R40's, so it's not like it couldn't handle to load or anything.

I haven't had any problems with the second unit, except that one of the DSP lights is slowly fading/strobing/going out.

I've also read about a lot of issues with HK quality recently. If you get a good one, then you are set... but if you get a bad unit you are in for a ride.
  • Ron-P
    edited October 2002
    Options
    I bought an HK receiver a year or so ago. Don't remember the exact model. I had several problems; the surrounds were very weak and crackling sounds at ramdom from all 5 channels at different times. There were a couple others but it's been too long to remember. Also, that damn clicking sound when adjusting the volume. Not a problem I guess, but completey annoying none-the-less. Hopefully they fixed it by now.

Needless to say, I returned it, bought a Marantz SR5000 and never looked back.

I'll never buy an HK product again.

If you've got $1500 (or $950), go seperates and skip the receiver alltogether.

If...
  • bobbyk
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Seems like HK is not a big favourite among all of U...
    I guess I'll have to stick to Yamaha or the likes..

HTR 5590 will cost me $695(cdn) inclusive of taxes..
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited October 2002
    Options
    i would have to recomend onkyo they make good solid stuff i havent tryed their new stuff but i love my 787 it rocks da house
  • Ron-P
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Yep, if it wasn't for the Marantz, I woulda bought an Onkyo. It was my second choice.

If...
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited October 2002
    Options
    I'd have to agree with several people here. I have heard from a friend who bought a HK that he had to have it in the shop a lot. Maybe he just got a lemon HK or something. who knows. He did not buy another one. He went with a Onkyo.. don't remember the model number. WHen i was looking for a new receiver. I too had a tough decision between Onkyo or Marantz. I choose the Marantz only because I got it for a better deal. I've been happy with it now for 3 yrs. It's the SR5000. A bit lacking in power but sounds good. Will probably upgrade a couple years down the road. but for now.happy with it still.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • SPEAKER7
    SPEAKER7 Posts: 355
    edited October 2002
    Options
    I have the HK 310 and so far I have no problems with it. It's a great sounding receiver but I wonder how much I missing out by not using separate amps.

However my cousin bought the HK 320 and he had to returned it twice because the receiver kept shutting down/ I guess the receiver could not handle the speakers that he was using and he finally returned it and replace it with the Denon 3802.

dc.

:)
  • schumach
    edited October 2002
    Options
    I have owned my AVR500 for over 2 years now and have never had any problems. I read somewhere that the problem with the receivers shutting down has been fixed, HK changed the part they were using.

I went with the HK over the Onkyo and Denon, because I personally liked the sound better. I think you need to listen to the different receivers on the same set of speakers and let your ears tell you what you should go with. Good luck and enjoy.
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    Options
    obey the ears luke...........
    Dan
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited October 2002
    Options
    I agree with the people who say go listen to some different products. I personally prefer Yamaha to H/K.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by HBombToo
    can the 320 do MP3? if not stick to the 520...

I have a 5 or 6 year old Onkyo receiver, and it plays MP3's through my CDR unit. How can a receiver NOT play MP3's?

Just curious
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited October 2002
    Options
    anyone??????
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • tojohnso
    tojohnso Posts: 1
    edited October 2002
    Options
    BobbyK - I have the Harmon Kardon 320 and love it. I considered the Yamaha HTR5540 (Is there an HTR5590? Yamaha didn't have it on the web page - only up to HTR5560), but after I did a bunch of research, decided to go with the HK. I'm really glad I did as a friend of mine who didn't want to spend as much as I did bought the Yamaha. It didn't have the same specs and same ablity to customize the sound in the room (ALL speaker volumes can be modified individually on the HK, but not on the Yamaha).

I read a bit about how some people noted a decrease in quality from HK, but that was a little while ago, before the 320. It's my opinion that they fixed their quality concerns as I have had both the AVR120 and AVR320 (very glad I upgraded). It was February 2002 when I received the AVR320.

By the way, I just upgraded my speakers from the RM6000 to RM7200....what a difference!