Progressive Scan DVD Players

shiznit311
shiznit311 Posts: 95
edited October 2002 in Electronics
I'm just getting started setting up my system and right now I only have a regular DVD player. I'm looking to upgrade to a decent Progressive scan DVD player. I'm not looking for top of the line; I'm just looking for something a little better than average.

I'll be hooking it up to a 51" Widescreen Sony HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR600 Reciever, and Polk RM6600 satellites. With a PSW 350 I think I'm gonna blow the roof off the apartment complex. :D

I was thinking of the basic Sony I can get a Circuit City for $199. But with the ovetime I've worked the last month, I started thinking about getting something a little nicer. I've been checking out three on the internet, so tell me what you guys think.

HK DVD25 - I've found it for betweeen $235 and 299(with free shipping)

Onkyo DVSP 500 or 300- the 500 for about $275, the 300 for about $220

Denon 900 - found it for $240

I went to Now Audio/Video to check out the Denon but they didn't have one hooked up; told me to come back this week. SO anybody got one of these? Or know any pros and cons of each? This will be my first progressive scan so gimme a lil' help.:) Please...;)

As a side note, I'm gonna work some more OT to add a CD changer so I'm not really worried about how many formats it can play.
Post edited by shiznit311 on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited October 2002
    Take a look at Toshiba Colorstream Pro - one of the pioneers of progressive scanning technology.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited October 2002
    Id consider the Sony Dvpns900v.599.99 it's a steal,it used to be a grand.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited October 2002
    Check out this one:
    http://www.videodirect.com/panasonic/dvd/dvd-rp91n.html

@$420, it's a great value, it will play almost any disc outhere including DVD-R, DVD-RAM, DVD-A, with digital remaster function, it will play CD music like a champion, video is excellent...look in the back of the unit, you will find this one made in Japan...B & H have them...
  • jdavy
    jdavy Posts: 380
    edited October 2002
    I would splurg. See who still has a Sony DVP-s9000es in stock and negotiate. It is a top of the line 28 pound monster that has been seen for as low as $700 but could be even cheaper now since the DVP-ns999es is do out any day. I have the 9000 and love it.
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited October 2002
    Personally , I think a a progressive "scam" dvd player is a waste of money since most HD tv's will do a decent job of the 3/2 pull down.
    I would rather wait for a progeressive-scan player with newer up-coming technologies- sacd, dvd-a, HD-dvd, or even Dvd-recordable...etc.
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited October 2002
    begbie, you raise an interesting point and now I have a question...

My Sony 57" RP HDTV has 3 modes, cinimascope, interlaced or progressive... My current dvd player, Cal Audio CL 20, does not have component out and I run S-Vidio direct to the TV. so What mode should the TV be set to for the best image quality? I screw around with it alot and really can't see any difference between the modes????

Thanks in advance
    HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited October 2002
    If you a fan of SACD, the new Sony DVPNS755V is your best bet, plays SACD and amost all discs, video processcor is 108mhz/12bit, progressive scan, pricc $219 plus free shipping, heck a deal...
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited October 2002
    Personally , I think a a progressive "scam" dvd player is a waste of money since most HD tv's will do a decent job of the 3/2 pull down.
    I dissagree. You'll be hard-pressed to find an HD-Ready TV that will do as good a job as a Progressive player, unless you go with a top of the line Elite, in which you will be spending quite a bit more than a couple Franklins.

You can land a JVC (no Flicker Bug or Chroma bug problems) with auto-upscaling for less than $200. No audio problems that have plaqued Toshiba, much sharper picture than Sony and no funky black level settings like with Panasonic. Heck, the owner of Home Theater Talk, Mike Knapp compared the JVC ($200) to Sony 9000 ($1,000) and said the progressive picture on the JVC is a hair better. I'll see if I can dig up the thread on his review.
    My Sony 57" RP HDTV has 3 modes, cinimascope, interlaced or progressive... My current dvd player, Cal Audio CL 20, does not have component out and I run S-Vidio direct to the TV. so What mode should the TV be set to for the best image quality?
    Interlaced. You can only run progressive with a component connection, not S-Video.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • HBombToo
    edited October 2002
    Thanks Ron.
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • begbie
    edited October 2002
    I've been in a/v sales and I can tell you, ( depending on the price)it's not worth the upgrade.

Unless you're a true video/technophile, then go for it. I've seen the differences, been through vendor training seminars , etc. , but to most customers and myself, it's not something you will lose sleep over.
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited October 2002
    Guess I'm just one who figures if your going to spend $2,000 (minimum) on an HDTV why not spend a additional $200 on a progressive player and even better a few hundred more on an ISF calibration and make that HDTV preform like it should.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • begbie
    edited October 2002
    Wish every customer were like you Ron. We would've been very rich salesmen if EVERYONE spent that kind of money !! :D
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • jmasterj
    jmasterj Posts: 327
    edited October 2002
    shiznit311,
    I have to agree with Ron-p on this one.
    welcome to the forum, this is the place where you can get alot of
    info on just about any subject, and sometimes we talk about Polk
    speakers too. I have the JVC XV-FA90BK It is a seven disc DVD-
    Audio player with progressive scan. Cost me $317.00 inc delivery
    brought it on line at www.Vanns.com a little over a year ago it's
    been flawless. Both playing CD,s DVD-Audio disc, and DVD movies.
    The picture on my Mitisubishi 16:9 HDTV is best described (by me)
    as ice cream. You can probably find it cheaper now. I'd buy it again excellent value for the dollar.
    JmasterJ Polk to the Death
  • jmasterj
    jmasterj Posts: 327
    edited October 2002
    shiznit311,

just visited the website it's on sale for $200.00 free shipping till
    10/15/02
    JmasterJ Polk to the Death
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited October 2002
    it all depends on what you watch certan types of movies get a way better pic like animated movies
  • begbie
    edited October 2002
    Originally posted by Ron-P

Interlaced. You can only run progressive with a component connection, not S-Video.

Hbomb,

Stick with cinemascope for dvd-movies!! Your Sony will then activate its 3/2 pulldown. Interlaced is for regular tv unless you're watching pay per-view movie, switch back to cinemascope.
    Progressive mode is for the progressive signals from your dvd player or other HD sources.
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited October 2002
    It's your money,
    and buying a new DVD player is an adventure.They change it alot.Progressive scan DVD player are superior to Interlaced.The smooth Picture just doesn't happen untill you use Progressive.

there is other ways of geting the picture quality....scalers,and as Ron Pointed out, using Pioneer Elite Rear projection Sets.It's your call but guess what????Pioner Elitetv's also Improve with Progressive scan DVD Players.........ever see the Pioneer Elite DV47a on one????Try to get that kind of video with interlaced on any other rear projection tv,you'll be hard pressed to find one.

If you looking for a DVD player to use for front projectors, a scaler would be the way to go so It can improve all your non digital sources.

I know it's a tuff road but with carfefull planning you'll be fine.........good luck dude...
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • HBombToo
    edited October 2002
    Any advice on scalers out there? I have been looking into this as an addition...
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • HBombToo
    edited October 2002
    OH... BTW begbie, Thanks alot for the info... this is the first breakdown presented that I understood all the features. The sony documentation is very vague regarding this matter.
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited October 2002
    The Yamaha 6480 just dropped to $399 from $599. I think it's a really nice dvd player.