new sound on old classic movie

Options
PETERNG
PETERNG Posts: 918
edited October 2001 in Music & Movies
I’ve just looked at the new release “Terminator” movie; the label said:”new 5.1 sound remix”, hah? Can someone give me a hint? How could you be able to re-produce a new DD 5.1 track from the original mono recording? Any idea?
Post edited by PETERNG on

Comments

• Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited October 2001
    Options
    This is an interesting one. This is a completely new, reconstructed soundtrack. Some people say it's missing some of the original stuff (the "metal on metal" sounds, gunfire, etc.). Cameron had a hand in it, so you can't really fault it, and I haven't heard it yet so I can't make a comment on how it sounds, but it has caused some controversy.

What's it sound like?

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • PETERNG
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Anyone bought this movie yet?, please share your comment on the DD track...
  • Micah Cohen
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Oh, DUH! I did. I freaking bought it, and completely forgot to tell y'all about it.

My advice is, if you at all like this movie ("Terminator 1") and are NOT a completely nit-picky person about remastered and reconstructed soundtracks -- as opposed to being nit-picky about widescreen vs full screen, which is fine -- and you are a Cameron fan, then you should really get this disc pronto.

When you hear people say that DVD is like seeing a favorite movie again for the first time, this is what they mean.

Okay the soundtrack is completely re-engineered. But it was done with the consent of Cameron and the sound guys. And it results in a completely enveloping DD EX (6.1) soundtrack that is heads and shoulders more involving than the old mono soundtrack (which is included if you want to be picky about it). There's very aggressive surround action, and even some deep bass. And the film itself is a new print, new master, dark blacks and great detail for a low budget B-type 80s sci-fi flick.

I personally think this is a far better film than T2, which is all moral and crap -- when the terminator CRIES, I check right the hell out. T1 is a flat out kick **** sci-fi adventure story with loads of explosions and big guns (and Bill Paxton in a funny, forgotten bit part!), and a passably acceptable story. And it's far more organic than any CGi-laden effects-fest. T2 is a ****. T1 is healthy, solid BM.

Plus, this disc has tons of extras on it, including a new 90 minute documentary with Cameron!

Great disc. Buy it! (I got it for $19 @ Suncoast Video, completely worth it.)

"I'll be back."

Micah!
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• PETERNG
    edited October 2001
    Options
    and I'm fine with all of that, but please clarify: the movie is not in WS format?
  • Micah Cohen
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Uh?

No, the movie is in the only format that is correct: w-i-d-e-s-c-r-e-e-n OAR, anamorphically enhanced for 16:9 TVs, and it looks glorious.

No pan & scam here. Now go get it!

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Thanks for the review Mr. Micah. I bought it last Tuesday and have yet to crack the seal. Gonna hav'ta now!

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2001
    Options
    When does the Terminator CRY?????

I don't recall that part.......AT ALL.

Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2001
    Options
    ...what friggin movie were you watching?? Ahhnold does not cry. Except when Maria shows him that hers is bigger. Is this some commie trick to get us to buy it just to see if he does??

Pretty sneaky, sis.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Micah Cohen
    edited October 2001
    Options
    You know what I'm talking about; when the "good" terminator (in T2) asks about the kid crying, and gets all weepy himself over the fact that he has no feelings... Awwwww. I really FEEL for him, he's so SWEET and moral.

Screw that. That's clown ****, man. Dumb **** demo scene flick.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2001
    Options
    I re-read the original reference. I thought you were talking about the first movie....Yeah, screw that. I'm thinking the 10 million that he got to make the movie would sort of cushion the blow.....

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • PETERNG
    edited October 2001
    Options
    okay Micah, you give me no choice... I will buy the DVD today...