New sub in town

rodneyat
rodneyat Posts: 67
edited September 2002 in Speakers
Well, after going back and forth and looking at different options I finally purchased a sub. Funny thing is...it is not the one that I originally thought I would buy. I ended up with a Velodyne CHT-15. To make a long story short, a friend of mine is an a/v equipment distributer. Their main lines are B&W, Velodyne, McIntosh and Yamaha. All of my Yamaha gear has come from them. I stopped by the other day to see what they may have in stock. Basically, they will sell me whatever they have in stock at a really good price. I was hoping they might have an HGS series sub in stock. They had a couple of older Velodyne subs and a B&W ASW 600 and the Velodyne CHT-25...That being the case, it was an easy decision. I really did not want something quite so big, but let's say, the price was right. I brought it home and I have been VERY suprised at how good it sounds. I spent a good bit of time today setting all of the levels and getting everything balanced. Another friend brought his SVS 20-39 PCi over to do a comparison. To make a long story short, we both agreed the Velodyne actually sounded better. It had more punch, low end etc and it cost me less to boot. Needless to say, I am very pleased with the sub and it has more headroom than I could ever need.
Polk RT 800i mains, CS 400i center, FX 500i surrounds, RT 35i rear centers, Definitive Supercube II, Yamaha RX-V3800, Samsung PN58C8000
Post edited by rodneyat on

Comments

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited September 2002
    Thanks for the info. I've been looking at the Velo CHT series as well.

I'm curious, what did you use to test it out? Is it mostly for HT or audio use? How does it sound with 2ch music?

The only concerns I have about the CHT series are how they sound with music, and the fact that they don't go below 25hz. Were these things not a concern for you? Thx.

For everyone else, what (musical?) subs are out there that will go down to 20hz or lower within the $300-$700 price range?
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited September 2002
    diy
    Make it Funky! :)
  • rodneyat
    rodneyat Posts: 67
    edited September 2002
    I really have not listened to any 2 channel audio in this room with the sub yet. I really do not listen to very much 2ch in this room at all. So, it was really not something I was really looking for. As far as the frequency response goes, this one goes down to 23hz which was pretty close to what I was looking for. At this point, it seems to more than meet the need.
    On the other hand, I do have another friend who is building subs now and he is selling them within your price range. I am not sure if he has had them tested for frequency response yet but he did a comparison against my Velodyne and it ran neck and neck and it is a much smaller box. I would have purchased one of his but I actually have less money tied up in mine than it would be for me to even buy the materials for one of his. Email me off list if you are interested.
    Polk RT 800i mains, CS 400i center, FX 500i surrounds, RT 35i rear centers, Definitive Supercube II, Yamaha RX-V3800, Samsung PN58C8000