Parasound P/HP-850

audiobliss
audiobliss Posts: 12,518
edited May 2006 in Electronics
In case you didn't notice, I snagged a Parasound P/HP-850 stereo preamp from ohskigod. Was selling it for a steal of a deal, and I had decided I was/had planned to spend too much on audio, so I left a tube pre for another day and jumped on this instead. Ohskigod was nice enough to also throw in some Outlaw locking interconnects. Wow, they're nice! I'm sure I know how to use the m correctly...I just screwed 'em on 'til the were tight and then shoved 'em on the RCA jacks. How are you supposed to do that?

Now, to the preamp...

This little thing is amazing! I wasn't really sure if I'd be able to hear a difference going from my Yamaha RX-V1400 receiver as a preamp to this Parasound, but boy was there a difference! So much so, I'm no longer really 'searching' for a better system. If I fix my placement, I'll be completely happy with what I've got.

I read so much about people saying new/better components 'lifting a veil', as if their system sounded muffled the start with. I can't say as that's what I thought when I heard my new preamp, but I've since thought about it and I've decided that that idea is probably applicable.

The bass has improved once again. It became more forceful when I added my ASL monoblocks, and once again now that I've added the Parasound. The highs are also not as shrill/harsh on some CD's/tracks as they were before, but the Parasound has not completely done away with that, either.

The first and most noticeable difference is the volume. The first few degrees of rotation of the volume knob make a BIG difference! Just a degree or two and you're good. Two more degrees and you're LOUD. But then today I was really rocking out to it, and after the first few degrees the rate at which the volume increases drastically decreases. I had it turned up fully a quarter of the way earlier today. Based on how fast the volume increases for the first little bit, I thought I'd never turn it up that much.

One question about the Parasound, though. On the back it has two sets of outputs. One is 'Normal' and one is 'Direct'.
Normal - These are the jacks you can use with any power amplifier. They connect to circuits that block DC which might be amplified through the amplifier.
Direct - These are directly coupled and are used where you are certain your amplifier either blocks DC with a capacitor at its input or bypasses DC with servo circuits. The Direct ouput should sound a little stronger and clearer.

I just hooked my ASL's up via the Normal outputs as I'm not sure if they can handle the Direct outputs or not. Should I just keep 'em hooked up to the 'Normal' outputs?

I apologize for not having as many photos of the box, the unpacking process, etc. as usual. I just couldn't seem to practice any self-control as I ripped my new preamp out of the box. So, you'll just have to make do with some pics I've snapped of it sitting in my 'system'. I decided to put it on top of my Rotel RCD-02, as the CDP is much heavier than the pre. You can also see the ASL's in their full glory since I took the covers off earlier today.
Jstas wrote: »
Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
In Use
PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
Epson 8700UB

In Storage
[Home Audio]
Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
Post edited by audiobliss on

Comments

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited May 2006
    I'm using the "normal" outputs on our 850 to the amp. If your amps. have gain controls,you might try setting the volume control on the pre to about 11 clock,and then adjusting the gain on the amps. to a "normal" listening level.

I enjoy the 850 very much,for the money,it has to be one of the best pre-amps in its class...I plan on trying to move into a tube pre one day also,when I do I will use the 850 in a "shop rig" that I'm going to set-up...doubt if I ever sell it.
  • audiobliss
    edited May 2006
    Mike Reeter - I notice from your sig that you're using a Rotel RCD-1072 CDP and a Parasound DAC. Does the Parasound make a drastic difference? The 1072 is such a good CDP, I wouldn't have thought it too common to use an external DAC with it.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited May 2006
    I should have kept my 850 when i went to a tube pre, i sold it .. always something to regret in this hobby. along with selling my dynaco st-70.. now i want that as a combo if that don't beat all..

Great pre-amp (for the money) and does sound great!
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited May 2006
    I've got one of these in the bedroom rig and love it
  • adam2434
    adam2434 Posts: 995
    edited May 2006
    Congrats on the purchase! That rounded out your system nicely.

I was also looking at that Parasound when I decided to try my hand at entry-level separates vs. a receiver. I went with the Cambridge preamp, only because it had a remote.

I too noticed significant improvements vs. using a receiver as a preamp for 2 ch. I found the improvements a little harder to describe in words vs. amp upgrades. But I would say that music sounds less constricted, more open and free flowing, with less glare.

Enjoy!
    5.1 and 2.0 ch Basement Media Room: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage or Dayton IO655 on patio.
    2.1 ch Basement Gym: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2/Chromecast Audio.
    2.0 ch Living Room: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED.
    2.0 ch Semi-portable: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3/Chromecast Audio.
    Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited May 2006
    In regards to the Output jacks...stick one interconnect in your left ear and the other in your right ear.

I use a Direct Coupled pre-amp and haven't had any issues with multiple amps, including tube amps and tube monoblocks. I would be interested in what manufacturer doesn't cap off DC potential, but I'm sure they exist.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,500
    edited May 2006
    bliss

the interconnects go on the rca jack loose, then tighten it while it is on the rca jack for a tight fit. remember to loosen it before you remove them.

I never used the direct output on the parasound. as DOro mentioned, it has something to do with use if your amp has DC blocking. I would just roll with Normal.

I'm glad your enjoying it. I know this is one of those "why did I sell it" pieces, but I would rather it give someone use and enjoyment rather than take up space in my basement.

have fun bud
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • audiobliss
    edited May 2006
    dorokusai wrote:
    In regards to the Output jacks...stick one interconnect in your left ear and the other in your right ear.
    I don't hear anything...:confused:
    dorokusai wrote:
    I use a Direct Coupled pre-amp and haven't had any issues with multiple amps, including tube amps and tube monoblocks. I would be interested in what manufacturer doesn't cap off DC potential, but I'm sure they exist.
    So you think I should give it a try with my ASL's? If they don't have any DC blocking abilities, what should I expect to hear when using the direct outputs?
    ohskigod wrote:
    the interconnects go on the rca jack loose, then tighten it while it is on the rca jack for a tight fit. remember to loosen it before you remove them.
    Thanks for the tip. I'll re-do them here in a few minutes.
    ohskigod wrote:
    I'm glad your enjoying it. I know this is one of those "why did I sell it" pieces, but I would rather it give someone use and enjoyment rather than take up space in my basement.
    And I'm soooooo glad you see it that way! :D I really am loving every minute I'm listening to it!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited May 2006
    with my parasound amp, I think i preffered the normal outputs... In this situation just try both and see what sounds better, once you get an idea that one is "supposed" to be better, well you know.. :)
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited May 2006
    AB - I had to make a choice for either DC or Coupling Caps when the Pre-Amp was built....so I don't have the option of switching. I was told that it offers better slam and high end extension. It didn't change the price, so I went with what was suggested by Dennis Had. I figured I'd go with his recommendation. The Pre-Amp plays actual sound, so I am happy regardless of the choice.

I still think the IC in the ear is the best way to demo gear.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited May 2006
    Bliss...nice score.and even nicer your diggin it.You beat me to the punch
    on that one,saw it too late.Congrats and enjoy!!!!:D
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • audiobliss
    edited May 2006
    Thanks, tonyb. I certainly am enjoying it!! :D
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited May 2006
    audiobliss wrote:
    Mike Reeter - I notice from your sig that you're using a Rotel RCD-1072 CDP and a Parasound DAC. Does the Parasound make a drastic difference? The 1072 is such a good CDP, I wouldn't have thought it too common to use an external DAC with it.

Sorry for the slow response,been busy...I have noticed a difference in the poor quality recordings "remastered" ha.

Seems like the DAC has given these CD's a new life and make them a little easier to listen to.

Can't say I've noticed a "major" improvement in the sound quality of good recordings along with HDCD's...but,the whole reason I bought the DAC was to experiment and so far I like the set-up :D
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited May 2006
    Normal: Your amp does not have DC blocking (enables the PHP-850's DC blocking ckt's)
    Direct: Your amp has DC blocking (PHP-850's DC blocking ckt's are bypassed)

DIRECT bypasses some of the pre's componentry for a purer signal, if the amp employs dc blocking (which most do). If you're unsure or the manufacturer of your amp can't help, use NORMAL.

The PHP-850 is a wonderful preamp, tons better than its price might suggest.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    Old thread I know. I'm installing on today with a 1500 for my 703's. :)