DVD players

tpeter
tpeter Posts: 65
edited September 2002 in Electronics
I have sony progressive scan DVD and it is an ok player but i notice when i have RED on the screen i can see lines an blurs around the image. Example would be like the tail lights of a car at night.
Does anyone know whay it does this and what is a good player that wouldnt do that.
I use monster component cables.
Polk LSi 15
Polk LSi/C
Polk LSi/FX
SVS Ultra
SVS PB3000
Monolith 15 THX
Denon 3700h "switching to Onkyo rz50"
Monolith 7 AMP.
Post edited by tpeter on

Comments

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited September 2002
    What kind of TV do you have?

I have simmilar problems, but it's my TV (older 27") - does it only do it with DVD's or when you watch regular TV as well?
  • tpeter
    edited September 2002
    I have a 51 inch HDTV sony, yes it only does it on DVDs and mainly reds.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_4/dvd-benchmark-part-5-progressive-10-2000.html

If you go to that site and scroll down to where the TOY STORY picture is, That is the same picture i get. I havent read that whole article since its huge but i just want to no if anyone has a DVD player that doesnt do whats in that picture.
    Polk LSi 15
    Polk LSi/C
    Polk LSi/FX
    SVS Ultra
    SVS PB3000
    Monolith 15 THX
    Monolith 7 AMP.
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited September 2002
    I believe this is an earlier DVD software Bug. Zoran provided the software to alot of players that have this problem.

Here is my FAV. site for tweeking the Bigscreen.

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited September 2002
    Sounds like a problem with the TV. Have you calibrated your set with the Sound & Vision Magazine HT tune-up disk, or the Avia disk? Using either of these will get rid of the red push.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • tpeter
    edited September 2002
    If it was the TV why does it only do it on DVDs. The reds are fine on normal broadcast.
    Polk LSi 15
    Polk LSi/C
    Polk LSi/FX
    SVS Ultra
    SVS PB3000
    Monolith 15 THX
    Monolith 7 AMP.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited September 2002
    Agreed with calibrating the TV.Use a test disk.

In general Sony DVD players have a slightly soft picture.Some believe it's pleasing to watch, some get annoyed by it.My partner has the Sony dvpns900v.It's a killer player but on the soft side in picture when compared to the Pioneer Elite Progressive players.

Preference plays a big role here.The Pioneer Elites are razor sharp and detailed.They are in my opnion the best on the market for the money.
    But in your case I wouldn't runout and get a new player just yeat, get that tv serviced and set it up with a test disk or get a certified Tech to do it for you.I think your problem alies there.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.