RM6600 and PSW450

tkaminski
tkaminski Posts: 11
edited September 2002 in Basic Hookup/Wiring Questions
First time on the site to post...I have the RM6600 and PSW450...My HT box is a Sony 444ES...Right now I have my setup as follows, the RM6600 are connected direcly to the receiver and I do not have the new SUB hooked up yet...When I do connect the 450, do you think I should hook it up to the LFE and leave the 6600's connect directly to the 444ES...This is how I had my old speakers setup, I am not a big fan of connecting the front speakers to the SUB...I think you get better sound with a direct connection...Also does anyone know the settings for the AMP...Any help would be great, Thanks...
Tom
Post edited by tkaminski on

Comments

• GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited August 2002
    6600's hooked up without a sub?!?!

This sounds okay?
    Can you even hear the bass guitar? Floor tom? Bass Drum? Danny Elfman's voice?

Anyway, yeah, I'd hook it up like you suggested, sub to the LFE out. Just make sure you cross your sattelites over as high as possible (set them to "small").
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited August 2002
    Hello,
    Thanks for participating on the Forum. The important consideration is to make sure the sub-woofer plays up to 150 Hz. Some of the Sony receivers allow the owner to change the low frequency cutoff point of the sub-out. If yours does set it for at least 150 Hz. If it doesn't then the best connection method is to use a right and left front speaker connection into the PSW450, this is a full range audio signal, then set the variable low pass filter on the sub-woofer to 150 Hz. In the setup instructions the fronts would be set to "large" and the center and surrounds to "small". This prevents not matching the sub's upper frequency range to the satellite's lower frequency range.
    If you are able to adjust the Sony to 150 Hz low pass setting, then keep the fronts as "large"; there is a built-in high pass filter in the RM6600 satellites, you don't want to "double filter", it would raise the combined filter point above the 150 Hz cut-off point creating the gap that we want to avoid.
    Regards, Ken Swauger
  • tkaminski
    edited August 2002
    I know that my rec. does allow me to change the freq...So if that is set to 150Hz I should be OK to connect the fronts up to the rec. directly, is that right...And if so should I set the fronts to "small" or "large"...Thanks for the input...I really like this Forum...Tom
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited August 2002
    Hello Tom,
    In that case you may use the sub-out connection with the frequency set to 150 Hz coming into the LFE input on the sub. The front satellites should be set to 'large" this avoids double filtering, if it were set to "small" this is going to introduce a high pass filter to the front satellites. But, they have a built-in high pass filter, the two filters could result in the high pass filter point going up to 200 or 300 Hz causing a gap again with the 150 Hz setting of the woofer. You would have solved one problem, but caused another. The built-in filter should prevent any overdriving of the front satellites, the center and surrounds should be set to "small" this lets the receiver's bass logic send bass to the sub-out frequency.
    Glad you enjoy the Forum.
    Have fun, Ken
  • GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited August 2002
    Ken,
    Do all of Polks Satellites have a built in HP filters? If so, are they all set to 150? I actually didn't know they did.

Thanks.
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited August 2002
    No expert here but the 7500 and 7600 series are NOT cut off at 150 Hz.........IMO
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • tkaminski
    edited August 2002
    Thanks for all of the input guys...I tried setting it up as you stated Ken and WOW...This is setup has a whole new sound that is fantastic...I have been playing with some other settings, do you have and recom. for any of the settings for the the other speakers, my rec. lets me adjust everything but the color of the speaker...I am new to testing this stuff now that I have some time to play...My room is 16 x 19, I was reading that you may want to set the rec. setting for the center about 5 feet closer that it is so you feel like the sound is in the screen, I cannot tell a real diff...Just wondering if you guys know any other little tricks for better sound...Thanks for all of the help...
  • awilki01
    awilki01 Posts: 12
    edited September 2002
    I have the RM6200 Satellites with a PSW250 sub. My Onkyo receiver does not have "large" or "small" settings. It does have crossover frequency adjustments. I currently have it set for 100Hz crossover due to the frequency response of the satellites and center being 100Hz (read that somewhere). I have talked about this in another forum, but I would like other people's opinions as well.

Do the RM6200's have an internal 150Hz high pass filter??? If so, I'm losing 30Hz of range because my receiver's max crossover is 120Hz.

Is there any audio CD's out there that help in setting up the sound?

Thanks in advance,
    Adam
  • cgravil
    cgravil Posts: 101
    edited September 2002
    as far as I found the 6200's do NOT have a cross over<I blew one> opps!!! Thank god for extended warrantees!!!!!!
    The probibility of someone watching you is directly related to the stupidity of the action in question.:eek:
  • awilki01
    awilki01 Posts: 12
    edited September 2002
    How did you blow it? Just had it too loud???