SL3000 Now available

jrausch
jrausch Posts: 510
edited September 2002 in Speakers
I recieved an e-mail today from Polk saying the new SL3000 tweeter replacements are now available. I sent a reply asking about tweeter compatability specs., who's the new tweeter manufacturer and do they match the old style tweeter in looks. I will post the reply when it comes in.
I hope they are allot better than the 2500 tweeters, I still can't get any kind of detail from them. :confused:
"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
Post edited by jrausch on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited September 2002
    Cool, keep us posted.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited September 2002
    in the effort to further my education,
    umm what is a sl3000?

-Luc
  • F1nut
    edited September 2002
    Luc,

It's the tweeter in the SDA SRS TL series.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited September 2002
    Had a feeling it was something like that,
    or maybe the new mercedes series.

-Luc
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited September 2002
    Are they the real sl3000's or a replacement version?
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • caseymou
    caseymou Posts: 327
    edited September 2002
    jrausch
    If you are interested in getting rid of some sl2500's I am interested in at least one. Mabye two if price is right.
  • jrausch
    edited September 2002
    Here is the response from Ken. He did'nt specify the manufacturer, But I'm guessing it would be a modification on the Danish Scan-Speak SD (soft dome) line. Peerless, Scan-Speak and Vifa are all in the same manufacturing group. I wish could get a couple samples to see how they are before I commit to purchasing them. The SL2500's are not a bad replacement tweet. They are very well made and have a much smoother response than the originals. They were not as transparent as the 2000's, but also do not exhibit the top end harshness that the old ones produced sometimes. I'm also assumung since the new replacements cost much more than the 2500's do, that they would closer match the more accurate sound produced by the original SL3000's.

If anyone else is looking into getting these, let me know. I'd like to compare notes on an updated thread.

caseymou: The 2500's are going back into my 5jr+'s when I replace my 3000's.

Dear Mr. Rausch,
    Lauren has asked me to respond to your request for information on the RD0198-1 replacement tweeter for the SL2500 and SL3000 tweeters. The difficulty we faced, in trying to replace the SL3000, is not being able to purchase the Polyamide dome material, any longer. The original European manufacturer, of this dome material, is no longer making that material, nor is anyone else. Our engineering department drafted a comprehensive specification list, detailing mechanical and electrical characteristics and sent it to various potential vendors. These vendors then built prototype samples and submitted them for our evaluation. The engineering department compared the vendor's efforts against the standardized requirements. A qualifying vendor was chosen and Polk supervised production began. The result is the RD0198-1 which uses an advanced soft dome material as opposed to the material in the SL3000, but it exhibits the same frequency response, power handling, dispersion characteristics and impedance as the previous units. It allows us to continue providing replacement parts that we believe will satisfy Polk owners. As always, we welcome customer feedback and encourage owners to let us know what they hear.

Sincerely, Ken Swauger, Polk Customer Service
  • F1nut
    edited September 2002
    Hmmm...."advanced soft dome material." I wonder what that really means? Are they still a tri-laminate? Are they "better" than the originals? Can they be mixed with the SL3000?

President of Club Polk

• rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited September 2002
    Am I hearin this correctly.... One replacement tweeter satisfies BOTH the SL2500 and the SL3000.

Guys, I have the SL2500's in my Monitor 10 series 2, I have the SL3000's in my 3.1TL's and I'm here to to tell you.... these two tweets sound COMPLETELY different. I have no idea how one tweeter can match both the SL2500 and the SL3000. Something had to be compromised. The replacement SL2000 tweeter in my CRS's is quite good. The SL3000's are very good. The SL2500 isn't nearly as good as the other two.

I would like to hear somebody from Polk talk more about this subject.
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited September 2002
    I'm going to agree with rskarvan....I just can't see one tweeter replace both models. If one needs to replace one(SL2500 or SL3000), I would think you will have to replace all tweeters to make this work.... That could get expensive with let say 2.3's with 6 tweeters or 1.2's with 8....:rolleyes:
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • F1nut
    edited September 2002
    Good Morning Ken & Lauren,

Could you elaborate on the above letter and subsequent questions/comments?

Regards,
    Jesse/F1nut

President of Club Polk

• mhw58
    mhw58 Posts: 359
    edited September 2002
    Could someone fill me in on the sound difference between the
    SL2000 and SL3000's?
    Thanks, Mike
    Fronts: SDA1C's
    Rears: SDA2's
    Center:CS400i
    Sub: PSW505
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited September 2002
    The SL3000 it like a 1000 times better than the SL2000, it was too easy
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • rskarvan
    edited September 2002
    And, the SL2000 is about 10 times better than the SL2500.
  • rskarvan
    edited September 2002
    Seriously though, the SL3000 is a lot brigher than the SL2000.
    The SL2000 has a sweet sound.
    The SL3000 has an accurate sound.
    The SL2500 has a limited/almost clipped sound. YUCK.
  • jrausch
    edited September 2002
    For those who own 2.3's and 1.2's do you rotate your tweeters?
    In theory since the top tweeter produces more highs and works harder than the ones below it. And Since most of the tweeters out there have aged, Would it not make sense to move them around. The lower ones should sound much cleaner and the top ones should handle the lower end of the spectrum without any problems.

Just a late night theory.

Jer
  • F1nut
    edited September 2002
    Jer,

That's a very interesting idea! If I understand the theory of Polk's Progressive Point Source correctly I think your idea is excellent. At the very least what would it hurt, I'm going to switch mine around tomorrow...more like later today.

President of Club Polk

• har_navalta
    har_navalta Posts: 957
    edited September 2002
    I like this thread it is very informative if you have this tweeters in your speakers.

I remember that when I got my 1.2TL (all the tweeters works excellent though) I'd switched them around to different positions when I'd put them back when I replaced all the grill cloth that wrap around them.

Switching to different position give all your tweets a break. I think
    this is excellent idea, Thanks Jer...

Har
  • F1nut
    edited September 2002
    Ken,

I'm still interested in more info, thanks.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited September 2002
    Originally posted by rskarvan
    Am I hearin this correctly.... One replacement tweeter satisfies BOTH the SL2500 and the SL3000.

Guys, I have the SL2500's in my Monitor 10 series 2, I have the SL3000's in my 3.1TL's and I'm here to to tell you.... these two tweets sound COMPLETELY different. I have no idea how one tweeter can match both the SL2500 and the SL3000. Something had to be compromised. The replacement SL2000 tweeter in my CRS's is quite good. The SL3000's are very good. The SL2500 isn't nearly as good as the other two.

I would like to hear somebody from Polk talk more about this subject.

Ken, please give us more info...PLEASE!

President of Club Polk

• har_navalta
    har_navalta Posts: 957
    edited September 2002
    Originally posted by F1nut 2X:
    Ken, please give us more info...PLEASE!

I second to the above quote. RE: SL3000

Ken, please give us details in comparison of the Original Specs of SL3000 and the NEW SL3000 eg. What kind of materials used, where it made, if this one matches the Original.

Your input to us is greatly appreciated.

Har