PSW350 Hookup Question and F/X ?

seryam
seryam Posts: 6
Recently purchased Polk system that includes RT1000i mains, CS400i center, F/X300i surrounds, and a PSW350 sub. All connected to a H/K AVR210. Just found out the subout crossover frequency on my H/K is at 100 Hz. My sub is currently wired using a RCA Subwoofer cable that goes from my receivers subout to a Y-connector that feeds the PSW350 Left and Right Line Level Inputs. Is the best hookup option?

Also, would I gain any noticeable system performance if I upgraded to the F/X500i surrounds.

Thanks in advance.

Andy
Post edited by seryam on

Comments

• jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited September 2001
    One thing you might want to do differently: Since you shouldn't filter the signal twice (via your receiver's 100Hz low pass, and the crossover in the PSW350) you might ditch the Y-adapter and go directly from your "Sub out" on your receiver to the "LFE In" on the Sub.

Sounds like a great HT setup to me. I don't have any experience with the f/x's, so I can't give any opinion about them.

Jason
  • elsid88
    elsid88 Posts: 38
    edited September 2001
    Andy,

On your F/X question. I used to own the 300's but moved to the 500's for two reasons. The 300's have the silk dome tweeter, where as the 500's have the trilaminate tweeter and the 500's have the 6 1/2 mid-woofer versus the 5 1/4 on the 300's.

The main difference that I noticed between the two is the amount of bass. The 500's just seem to have a larger range of sound than the 300's. Don't get me wrong though, the 300's in my opinion sounded good, however, I am pushing alot of juice to my speakers, so I was looking for something with a more fuller range of tone. Unfortunately, the F/X 1000's were beyond my budget, or in other words, my wife's tolerance levels.

Hope this helps.

Tom Fernandez
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited September 2001
    seryam- I know exactly what what your talking about. "Just plug the rca's into the sub's LFE in" Hello most sub's have a left and right in. If a sub has two drivers like my psw1200 does or it may have what is called a dual voice coil, I would like to think that the left and right is for that. With my rt1000's - I have four sub's and they are all using y's in series. Sounds killer! Most of Monster Cable's better sub rca lines supply the y adapter. Must be a reason for that - the y cost $20 alone. Line conditioners are a must I use the MC 2500. My two cents - just a hobbie. See how this forum went way off. Check out my thread on opions (more forums). But that Carver story was really cool. LATER ;)
  • swanky
    swanky Posts: 1
    edited October 2001
    scottvamp - dude, i'm pretty sure you are wasting your $$ on y-adapters for your subs and you're just adding more ways that noise can get into your system. i believe the left and right inputs are for the left and right channel outputs of your pre-amp (if you have one). however, if you do decide to use a single rca cord from your sub-out on your amp, plugging the other end into the left or right input on your sub doesn't made a difference. feeding into a y-adapter first does nothing. i could be wrong, but that's how i understand it.
    rock on.