What sub are you using???

rodneyat
rodneyat Posts: 67
edited September 2002 in Speakers
It is time for my latest upgrade...I am looking at upgrading my old Yamaha sub and looking for opinions on what some of you are using. I am considering the Velodyne HGS series and Sunfire subs for the smallness (keeps the wife happy), I am also looking at the HSU TN-1220HO with 250 Watt Amp as well. Any other options out there? Obviously budget is an issue but I want a really good sub as well. I saw a Polk PSW650 in CC on Open Box for $320 a number of months ago...I should have picked it up at that price. Oh well..There is always one that gets away.
Polk RT 800i mains, CS 400i center, FX 500i surrounds, RT 35i rear centers, Definitive Supercube II, Yamaha RX-V3800, Samsung PN58C8000
Post edited by rodneyat on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited September 2002
    Don't overlook SVS if you are considering a cylinder sub like the HSU. They have powered and unpowered versions to choose from and all of the models generate remarkable SPL at very low distortion and have very deep extension. The summer sale prices are ending soon...............

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • snookking
    snookking Posts: 18
    edited September 2002
    I have a SVS 20-39Pci sub and I would sell my wife and kids to keep it, It is that good.
    Save your money and buy the best for your buck and SVS will have your jaw dropping when the lows go below and sub around.
    If your not snook fishing, then your not fishing at all.
  • Orange Peel
    Orange Peel Posts: 53
    edited September 2002
    I have a PSW650 for sale in the Flea market, just dropped the price too, check it out if you're still considering that sub.
    Scott Goldsmith

Home Theatre:
    Klipsch RF-3's (Front Mains)
    Klipsch RC-3 (Center)
    Klipsch RS-3's (Rear Surrounds)
    SVS 20-39 PC Plus Subwoofer
    Harman Kardon AVR-520
    Mitsubishi WS-65869 Widescreen TV
    Denon DVD 1600
    Sony DVD DVP-S530D
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited September 2002
    I'm running a PSW650 and I'm more impressed with it now than I've ever been. Took me about 2 years of playing around with placement but now I got it where it sounds best in my room. Incase you're considering getting the 650, get ready to break your back moving it around. It's a real **** trying to find the righ location for it because of the side fireing woofs. Now that I've got everything set up, they blend very well with my 800i's and give an effortless sound. HT just explodes with big bass. This is probably useless without hearin the sub, but here's what Widescreen Review said about it on their Subwoofer Buyer's Guide(Fall/Winter2000): "The PSW650 can equal or exceed the output levels of most subwoofers with 12 or 15-inch drivers..(It) is a great-looking, great performing powered subwofer that costs less than $800. It rivals the performance of the best home theater subs and is among the better vented subwoofers for music reproduction, too." That was taken from a special issue where they only reviewed subwoofers.

Maurice
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited September 2002
    I too am running a Yamaha sub. I wouldn't consider anything except DIY for future upgrades. I like the Yammie. Not very deep, but not boomy either. There are definately better out there, but I haven't heard any at less than 3X what I paid. The YST-160 compared to a a PSW650 is a matter of taste in my opinion.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited September 2002
    I'm running a pair of polk psw450's.
    Maybe not epic, but definitely adequate.
    I have one placed in the front corner
    and one in the rear corner.
    Volume set at 12:00, which sounds decent on music (not over powering), and still moves me during movies.

-Luc
  • jmasterj
    jmasterj Posts: 327
    edited September 2002
    I have a Yamaha YST-SW320 sub 250watts. have no complaints.

But if I were to change, I would save and get a Sunfire....
    JmasterJ Polk to the Death
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited September 2002
    I currenty own the psw450 and it has served my home theater well.It's going out of my theater to make room for a REL.

I've been looking at all of the models that we carry.all of the Q series ,Strata and the Storm.they are all sealed units but the Strom,which untill pointed out recently by another member I thought it was also sealed.It's been awhile since I installed a Strom as the Q series are real popular due to the extreme small size and awesome sound quality.The Q series is almost exactly like the Sunfire sub's.Very small and very powerfull.The one thing I like better about Rel is that they are a more musical sub then a slammin Home Theater sub.The Sunfires seem alittle more slam then music.Not much but in comparison to the Rel I feel that way.

I haven't found a sub under 2g's I like more.The Storm is the most powerfull sounding and deepest out of all the Rel's we carry, but I'm really starting to Love the Q series 150 and the 201.Damn they sound good with some time and care into setup.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited September 2002
    just for fun check out the new definitive's new supercube
    a single long throw 10" and 2 passive 10" subs and a 1500 watt amp in a sealed 14" cube hits pretty hard and low.
    just a thought
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • yoeddy
    yoeddy Posts: 140
    edited September 2002
    A Klipsch SW12 II Series. This was before Kilpsch went to 'Plastic' enclosures.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited September 2002
    Sunfire MkII....You won't need more than one!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • mjk91383
    mjk91383 Posts: 298
    edited September 2002
    i absolutely love my SVS 20-39PCi!

isn't someone on here getting a PC+ later this month? ..spec?
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited September 2002
    MILLER AND KREISEL!!!!!!!! AWESOME COMPANY, AWESOME build quality, and sound, very accurate, accuarte enough for music and offers that major punch for home theatre, and you will notice that they are made good once u pick them up weighing at 60-80 pounds, with the push pull design, and most of their subs hit below 20 hz...and they blend in well with polks, so i think...newayz M&k is awesome
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited September 2002
    how about the Polk PSW 1200??? if size does really matter to you...
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited September 2002
    Its not the size that counts? heh
    That's because you don't own the PSW1200.;)
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited September 2002
    i have a velo ct 120 and allmost done with my sono sub project once i get some time i will have a kick but sub 15 inch long throw sub able to do referance levels below 20 hz but my velo is no sloch eather.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited September 2002
    Originally posted by mjk91383
    i absolutely love my SVS 20-39PCi!

isn't someone on here getting a PC+ later this month? ..spec?

Yeah - 20-39 PC+ - if it ever ships from SVS. Actually, I'm expecting shipment today, based on my spot in the pre-order list.

If I'm lucky I'll have it for the weekend.........I'll post pics and a review. I have upgraded my homeowner's insurance and warned all neighbors within a 500 foot radius of my home.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited September 2002
    A 177L sonosub with a 15" Tempest driver.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited September 2002
    Ron

What did the final $$$ come to after all was said and done on your sonosub...
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited September 2002
    I rolled in at $396 after all was said and done.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited September 2002
    Good deal....I will get a check out to you soon for $400.00 and you can get started on mine.....:D
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!