Magepan 1.6 vs Thiel 1.6's vs Vanderstein 2c's

Options
mantis
mantis Posts: 17,056
edited September 2002 in Speakers
We went to the audio lab today to listen to these speakers.
All where ran off of Classe pre/amp/cd player.
The Maggies 1.6 where up first.
They sounded more refined then the 1.5's...the built quality was also Improved alitlle,the grill was nicer.The wire posts where exactly the same.Even the Outside Sign quality legs remained.I noticed on thing while adjusting the volume that the highs changed alot if you where standing up or sitting down.Again these speakers whern't that clear.The music sounded all mushed together and it was hard to pick out instruments.The bass on these where slightly more controlled but still needed a quick little sub to finish off the bottom end.Overall I wouldn't pay 1600.00 for them NO!!!

Next up was the Vandersteins 2c's.....these speakers impresed me.WOW was the first thing that came out of my mouth.Classe and them went together very well.The bass was powerfull and everso slighty muddy at times..It could have been placement.Compared to the maggies..they beat them in all the way around.....no compare.Clean and real nice to listen to,I could buy these speakers....I like em alot.

Last but not least was the Theil 1.6's........man they changed the look alittle bit with adding a magnetic grill.......how cool.And they where in cherry instead of the usual oak or black.Man for little speakers they can pack a punch......WOW was out and I was amazed.....These speakers would give my Lsi 15's a run for the money and then some.......they reacted differently but all was solid.The only thing they lacked was lows..in compare to the Vandersteins.But they can hold there own without the want or need for a add on sub.Clear and deep into the soundstage they took you.Filling the room with beautiful sound anddid it with grace.......I would own these fine speakers as well without hesitation.

Overall the Theil 1.6's where my speaker of choice,followed by the Vandersteins close second only lacked in the finest detail.I guess it would be a toss up in which speaker would be better suited for the job.......more bass or more detail.........I pick more detail........but thats just me.The maggies let me down again......I have decided that they are in no way shape or form comparable to Martin Logan.......I said it before and I will say it again......wrong lifetime,world,and such.

I'm having a ball demoing just 2 channel stuff....I love the fact that I can come home after all those fine demos and still completely love the Lsi 15's.........I would keep them over all of the speakers in todays demo's and most of the past ones.

Lastly when I arrived at the store in King Of Prussia Pa,I listened to the Vienna Mozarts and Beetovens.......I think they sound terrible in compare with the Theil and Vanders,I think it might be the B&K,wire and the room they where in.But thats our best stuff and I'm not down with them.I'm so happy I didn't buy them last year when I was all into them.

;)
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
Post edited by mantis on

Comments

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Great post.

I'll ask again. What music did you listen to on the Maggies? At least let me know if it was R&R, jazz, classical, folk, bluegrass, funk, polka or whatever. I plan on doing some more demoes of various speakers, including the 3 you listed. I didn't notice the muddiness in the Maggies, but if I can recreate it, I'll be able to wipe these of the possible purchases list. I'd rather find it in the demo room than the living room.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not doubting you in anyway and I respect your opinion. I'm just trying to save myself some hassle and time.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • mantis
    edited September 2002
    Options
    girah,
    please take this advice.That is how I feel about them.My review is a personal one and has nothing to do with how others feel about them.

I listened to Dave Mathews and felt the music got all mushed up.Remember I have demo'd more speakers then any normal person does.......I got a way I would like a certain speaker to present themselves.I have read that the Maggies can hang or takle otu Martin Logans.....I found that to be a false statement for myself.

You might like them very much and I wish you luck with your music.
    I can help you refine your listening and what to listen for,but I can't tell you .."you won't like em or skip over them".

This is what makes demoing so fun.Gettign out there and listening with your music.There is NO RIGHT OR WRONG music to demo with.

You tell me your opnions on what is muddy and what is clear.
    I hope this is helpfull dude.
    Dan
  • gidrah
    edited September 2002
    Options
    That's cool. I just wanted to know what music is all. I'm not going to skip over anything. I just didn't want to take 800 cds down to the store.
  • mantis
    edited September 2002
    Options
    tell you what
    I burn and make demo disks.Find songs I can tell if I'm gonna like a speaker or not.I have a cd carring case and I stack it up with music of different.
    Dan
  • gidrah
    edited September 2002
    Options
    I use a computer cd burner and have found it to mkae exact copies of cd I burn, no

That explains things a little. Thank you for your reply!