Totem speakers revisited!!

13»

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited September 2002
    F1nut,
    I was wondering how and where you made up that name???

What exactly does it mean or are you emplying something?
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • liv4fam
    liv4fam Posts: 311
    edited September 2002
    hey guys, it's all in good fun. Don't take anything personal it's fun between russ, troy,myself, and mantis. Read tommorrow during the day when Mantis and I are at work and you'll see how it really goes as far as bashing each other is concerned. They do it when we can't reply. Sorry F1nut, your screen name is just too much fun. I won't do it anymore. Read some of my other posts because believe or not I do post respectfully most of the time. Let the search for the perfect sound continue. Talk to you later
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited September 2002
    Formula 1....the elite of car racing, nut as in enthusiastic. You haven't lived unless you've been track side and heard 20 some cars at 18,000 rpm.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited September 2002
    Cool...later

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited September 2002
    Yeah...............
    Maybe 43 at 9,300 rpm inches apart.......:D
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • F1nut
    edited September 2002
    I was waiting for that :D
    Hell, you know I love all racing, just love F1 a little more :p

President of Club Polk

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited September 2002
    Here are some pics when racing was fun

TRANS AM

06atar69.jpg
    MARK DONOHUE

01atar69.jpg
    DAN GURNEY

CAN AM

04dcar69.jpg
    BRUCE McLAREN

66acar66.jpg
    JIM HALL

80's IMSA GTP

HENDRICKSGTPCORVETTE2.jpg
    DOC BUNDY

86e-15.jpg
    AL HOLBERT/DEREK BELL

I really liked these road racing series.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited September 2002
    Has this thread drifted off topic or what?!?!?

Totems, B&Ws, Yammies, Boxcutters, demos, Staind. CoCoa Puffs, Pros, nuts, racing, F1, NASCAR, etc...etc...etc...
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited September 2002
    Russman, the B&W did sound good but they just couldn't get my head banging. They had great gear hooked up to them. Sony ES DVD(source), Lexicon(pre) and an Adcom amp. It was at my friend's house and I had all the time I needed with my material. Sorry, I'm not too farmiliar with the bands you mentioned. The only American band I listen to is Kamelot(amazing power metal). OK, I tested them with Cradle of Filth(Cruelty and the Beast) and Akercocke(The Goat of Mendes). The drummer performs blast-beats that go over 200BPM and the power of the double-bass wasn't there. The crazy riffings sounded to laid back, though the orchestration sonded better and the female soprano back ups sounded very good(warm and smooth). If I was listening to jazz, classical or soft rock, they would definately be my speakers of choice. Well, maybe the PSB floorstanders for jazz. I'm not bashing B&W, they're just not the speakers for me.

Maurice
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited September 2002
    Liv4Fam - Shoo! Go away! Annoy a different forum. At least Mantis has come to realize that we're not chumps. And that we respect his opinion as any other. If you are comfortable in your level of knowledge and experience, voice it as such. If you can't play nice then don't play. Russ is the unofficial caller on BS and attitude. This alone is worth more than your attitude. The fact that he also brings a wealth of experience, knowledge and insightfullness beats your professional whatever.

Mantis - Ssshhh! He's on his own.

When and if you get around to actually doing a demo on those DQ-10s tear into them as you will. BDT and I know they sound better than ANY in-wall that he or I have ever heard.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2002
    Well said Mark, well said.......

Liv4fam:

Nascarman, go buy it brand new in the box then. It sounds like a piece of terd anyways. And it's features suck too. When the Avr-507 comes out I'm gonna use the RXV-1 as my boat anchor.

so why did you buy it in the first place?

As for the rest of it......well, I just don't know what to make of it. It's possible that liv4fam is just clowning around but just wasn't blessed with being funny. Sometimes he seems like a decent dude but most of the time comes off as an immature, insecure, bordering on bi-polar, jackass. He bashes Polk continually but was in the market for RT2000's at one point; rips other folks gear doesn't seem to have any himself that would warrant such an attitude. One post Integra rocks and then the next is crap....yada yada yada...

What really galls me is though is the lack of respect shown to others such as when he started in on George or F1. In George's case, he has been involved with hifi on a personal and professional basis longer than most of us (liv4fam included) have been alive. Whatever liv4fam, to quote a wise man: 'eff ya....I got nothing for ya.' The difference between Russ, myself and Dan is even though we don't usually agree, I respect his opinon and would hope he respects ours. You show zero respect for anyone and that just isn't cool or welcome.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited September 2002
    TroyD,
    He was just having fun...it's been a long road for sound for him.The Inwalls I feel are nice for theater but aren't the greatest thing for 2 channel music.

I can respect what you guys say when your not clowning around.Agreed we don't see eye to eye on alot of things,but respect is there.

Well Liv4fam is typing away at his computer as I write this so lets see what he has to say.

ATCVenon getting in his cheap shots a on me.I need to get a box cutter so I can feel apart of the post....anyone got a nice used one?
    I need to get my cheap on!!!
    I want to side step the attack and attack the cutter from a different angle.....
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • liv4fam
    edited September 2002
    Hey troy, you want me to respect your opinion? I will if you stop saying that your gear is the be all end all of Hi-Fi. Ever since I have been reading in here all you say is that Adcom is the best and your DQ-10's cannot be touched by any speaker except the Carver Amazings. I respect that you are into your equipment and I am happy that you found an audio system that you really enjoy because that's hard to do but I side with mantis on the fact that you beat up the LSI15's every chance you get. I am sorry but IMO there is no older speakers that ever beat out the sound quality of new speakers because companies constantly take old concepts and just improve on them. That is my biggest beef with you is that you are telling everyone in here that your stuff is the best. That is your opinion not fact. I have tried multiple times to post civil in here but you or russman always have to start something, I don't get mad like Mantis I actually thinks it's funny to see everyone get fired up.
  • liv4fam
    edited September 2002
    Gidrah, you'll see me post civil when all this madness stops. It usually only takes a day or two until everyone kisses and makes up or Micah comes in here and Smacks us all around and closes or post.
  • TroyD
    edited September 2002
    Another logic-free post brough to you by liv4fam.

Let's see, I NEVER said that I have the best gear. Never once. Post, in context, where I did. Do I think that the DQ's will hold there own against they new generation? Sure do.

Where did I EVER bash the LSi15? I think if you look, I posted about my demo at Polk that I was completely impressed. Do I think that they are better than my DQ's? No I don't, but that doesn't mean that I don't like them. I own and like a pretty wide variety of speaker brands and happen to like them all for what they are so you can't pigeonhole me in that fashion. As far as Adcom goes, I only own an Adcom Passive preamp. My amps are Carver. Is there better gear available? No doubt, but at what price and what cost/benefit ratio? I haven't ever claimed otherwise. Same thing with the Amazings, many of those dismissing Carver gear, have never actually owned it. I'm sorry but I don't care how many 30 min demos you have had, it doesn't hold as much water when giving your opinion as the opinion of someone who has actually owned it.

My point about the Amazings, no disrespect to anyone is that the folks who were dismissing them have very little experience with them and that the folks who praised them had both credibility and experience. Much like you are practically dismissing the DQ-10 without ever hearing it.

As far as this madness, frankly, you bring it upon yourself. I challenge you to go back and read your posts. You started out blasting folks and then wonder why oh why we think you are a complete moron. If you can't see that, well, frankly, there isn't much that we can do for you.

BDT
  • liv4fam
    edited September 2002
    Dude I will admit that the first time I came in here I was a little raw but that was because you guys were giving it to my partner. That's it no more. As far as being a moron, aren't you the one who said let's keep the name calling to a minimum? Check it out, let's get something straight I don't hold no bad blood towards you whatsoever, I tell you what if you are ever in the area I would like to meet up with you to talk about audio and do some demo'ing. I hope with as much as you like your DQ-10's that they blow my socks off. If they are killer I will tell you then put my foot in my mouth but until then I can't choke down that they are reference. My opinion is valid because I have owned a lot of equipment in my time and I know what gear sounds like. Mantis can vouch for me with how critical of a listener I am for two-channel listening because I have been searching for my system for 14 years, and I haven't found it yet that I can afford. I will give you my opinions and my help on the things since you think I am a complete moron. Boy Troy that really hurt dude. I didn't no you wanted to make me feel bad. No I know how mantis feels because I can't hang with you because you REALLY hurt peoples feelings. That's low man
  • TroyD
    edited September 2002
    One last thing to chew on.....I don't necessarily believe that the DQ's are bested by the Carver Amazing. I don't really think it boils down to that one speaker is better than another....

As far as my opinions, I frankly could care less what you think of my opinions and clearly I am not deluded into thinking that you would ever respect them and I STILL manage to sleep at night.

BDT
  • TroyD
    edited September 2002
    ATC,

I wasn't hacking on your speaks little brother. I was merely pointing out that for all his Polk-bashing, liv4fam posted that he was seriously looking for a pair of them so Polk can't be THAT bad.

I think you have a DAMN nice rig, one that I would have liked to have had at your age.

Plus, I like my Carver and AMC gear. Those are giant killers there.

BDT
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2002
    But he KNOWS gear man, he's owned a lot, and is a very critical listener on 2ch rigs.....

Yet throughout all this knowing and owning, settled down on a HT rig with inwalls on a yammie rec. (which is great gear, just not what I would consider something to get 'critical' with)

I wonder if some guys ever just sit down and enjoy the gear/music. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a dude sitting there, forehead wrinkled, one eyebrow raised, as if they are concentrating SOOO hard to strain to hear a subtle change...

Tired head is setting in for me on this one.... It's like the special olympics merry go round, round and round we go, mouth agape, eyes crossed, drool a flyin'....

Cheers,
    Russ

ATC, we wouldn't have advised you to go in the direction you did, if we didn't think it was great gear. I'm just thankful you didn't spend more, for less in the receiver arena.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • liv4fam
    edited September 2002
    How good they are is yet to be determined, my man. We are the reviewers and what we think goes I don't care if you review a cheeseburger you fat **** it hasn't been reviewed until we tasted it.
  • TroyD
    edited September 2002
    I take it all back.....your last (see above) post sums it up quite nicely.

You, sir, are an **** and as far as I am concerned reap what you sow.

BDT
  • gidrah
    edited September 2002
    "First we plant the seed. Then nature grows the seed. Then we reap the seed" Nigel from the Young Ones.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited September 2002
    The Young Ones, wow what a flash back, I bought the whole series on VHS tape, great stuff.

Don't hassel me man
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited September 2002
    Originally posted by TroyD

You, sir, are an **** and as far as I am concerned reap what you sow.

BDT

I have to agree completely. All audio/hi-fi/etc. aside, liv4fam you are act like a 28 year old child.

There is a line between 'good fun' and being a(n) (dumb)****. You sir, have crossed it... several times.
  • TroyD
    edited September 2002
    Mark,

Are you in the Chicago area? For some reason, I was thinking you were. If so, check this out, I was surfing around and found this place on the net. DQ-10's for 300 and some used Maggies.

http://www.audioconsultants.com/used.html

BDT
  • TroyD
    edited September 2002
    Yes, I own the cd8b (not the 6 like you, you lucky ****!).

I have demoed, briefly, the 1100 preamp and matching amp and was really impressed, although, admittedly it was a brief demo.

As Russ said, we wouldn't have steered you to that gear had we not thought it was worth your while. When I am in the Va Beach area I excpect a demo!

BDT
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited September 2002
    Granted, respect and decorum should rule forums such as this. We're all talking about something we love and hold dear.

That said, don't forget that the only way a slam can be taken as a slam is if the receiver allows it. We can't control what anyone else says, but we're in complete control of how much credence we give it. Anyone of you can tell me all day long that my 5jr+ aren't good surround speakers, but if I think they are, and I think they sound great, why should I let some braggart tool tell me different? He can blubber in the wind all he wants but it doesn't mean he is correct.

Ignore the obvious bait posts and the narcissitic rantings - it is the replies that give them any power.
  • gidrah
    edited September 2002
    Nope! Detroit area man.
  • TroyD
    edited September 2002
    Crap, sorry about that.

BDT
  • gidrah
    edited September 2002
    Don't be sorry. Just hurry up and find some around Detroit and I'll let ya' slide.