Can anyone help me with an amp ques?

GoMets17
GoMets17 Posts: 5
edited September 2002 in Basic Hookup/Wiring Questions
I just got an amp for my truck. I bought an am kit to hook it up, with all the power cables, ground, fuse ect. I just want to run it to my (factory) cd player. The amp has RCA jacks to recieve the signal. On the back of the cd player there are a few ports but not RCA. So my question is , what Kind of cable(s) do I need to connect the Cd player to the amplifier. THe end that goes into the amp is an RCA jack, the other is I have no idea
Post edited by GoMets17 on

Comments

• trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited August 2002
    Hi gomets17-

Welcome to the board!
    What type of connectors does the cd player have?
    It must have some sort of "signal out" connection.
    Is it possibly an optic connect.
    Not sure what an amp kit is.

-Luc
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2002
    I'm thinking this is a car audio question....

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited August 2002
    What kind of Amp?
    Is it a PreAmp/Amp combo?
    How are you connecting from the cd player to the amp?
    Kinda confused over here....
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited August 2002
    Ya, "head unit" is a giveaway... he needs help with a car stereo.
  • sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited August 2002
    Hi:

To the best of my knowledge, most factory units do not have pre-outs for amp connections. If not, there is an adapter you can buy to connect your speaker outputs of the factory and then the adapter has rca outs to connect to an amp.

Gary
  • GoMets17
    GoMets17 Posts: 5
    edited August 2002
    THanks now I have one more ques. I got the adapter but I need to know on the old factory speakers I have, which line is positive and which is negative. THey are crappy factory delco speakers. The terminals are marked A, B, rather than + or - . So does anyone know which is which or how I can tell.
  • sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited August 2002
    Hi:

The best way is to take an ohm meter and check each lead to the body ground. The one that reads no resistance is the - one.

Gary
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2002
    Perhaps the ole' battery trick? (if you are short on ohm meters)

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2002
    Hey.. honestly friend, I would suggest you simply bite teh bullet and get an aftermarket cd player (most of the polk guys would steer you towards alpine, as would I, but if you haven't got the bucks for an alpine, pioneer and kenwood make good units as well... they can be had as low as 120 bucks new retail with connectors for preamp rca outs.)... otherwise, you're stuck using the adaptor (line out converter) which is never as good as a preamp signal... the line out converter signal is probably 0.2 volts as opposed to teh 2 volt (minimum) pre out an aftermarket deck will give you. good luck friend.. feel free to email me for help :o)
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • RMORRI42
    RMORRI42 Posts: 1
    edited September 2002
    Depending on the make and model you can get a macthing transformer box from a up-scale car audio dealer that will plug into your cd player with ac out-put jacks.