FS: Conrad Johnson Sonographe 120

Options
RuSsMaN
RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
edited February 2006 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
***PJDAMI*** has first right of refusal, as promised HERE. (see for pictures as well, be sure to scroll to see all - it's already boxed and ready to depart)

$325 shipped. Orig Box / Manual. Bought from original owner (good friend of mine), updated at the CJ factory in 2002. 120/ch continuous -0 +.5 db from 20 to 20K cycles. The only sand amp I've seen with computer-grade Mallory caps on the power supply, and Sprauge Orange Drops on the boards (stock).

Drove the **** out of my SRS 2's, Spendor 1/2's, NHT 2.5's and numerous other fine loudspeakers. There isn't a cleaner example on the planet. Solid 9/10. Wood sides, facia, everything is impeccable. This amp WILL suprise you.

Cheers,
Russ
Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
Post edited by RuSsMaN on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Could be the first/last/ONLY amp you ever need.

A VERY nice mate for my PV-7 (hint, hint)

I can't remember, does this have the BOO-YAAA caps?

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Yes, big blue badass caps.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Heck yeah I'll take that amp. A little shootout with the Audire Crescendo will occur.
  • fredv
    fredv Posts: 923
    edited February 2006
    Options
    A dump question, does "sand amp" refer to a class of amplifiers?

-fredv-
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited February 2006
    Options
    SS amp.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • maxima
    maxima Posts: 143
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Hi Russ,

I'm interested if Paul bows out. Thanks,

Eric
  • RuSsMaN
    edited February 2006
    Options
    He won't, thanks for the interest.
  • maxima
    maxima Posts: 143
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Thanks anyway. It looks like a great amp for the money, I'm sure Paul will be happy with it. I look forward to reading his take compared to the Audire Crescendo.

Russ, where the hell do you find this stuff? There must be an audio goldmine in Texas!
  • fredv
    fredv Posts: 923
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Russ also releases his audio reserve. There will always be some fit your needs and wallet. Just be patient and dibs asap :D

-fredv-
  • pjdami
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Hey Russ. Got the CJ today in perfect shape from Fed Ex. Great packaging by CJ with the stock box.

Hooked her up and all is well. Doesn't best my Rogue tube amp but I wasn't expecting it to. Sounds pretty damn good though for a SS amp. I might be crazy, but just going off of memory I think the Crescendo has more punch to it (I'll have to do a more formal comparison this weekend).

The weight of this amp surprised me. A weekend project will be to upgrade the stock cord by installing a male IEC socket in the back of the amp with a better power cord.

Once again, thanks for the great deal. :)

P.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited February 2006
    Options
    My pleasure, as always Paul. Yeah, I forgot that I never upgraded the power cord, until I went to pack it.

I think it's more subtle than the Audire, I hate to use a grossly overused expression - but it really is tube-like in some aspects. Definately the warm side of nuetral. Should sound pretty good on Spendors!

Cheers,
    Russ
  • pjdami
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Boooo Yaaaa....

:d