sl 3000

Options
hotwheelman
hotwheelman Posts: 1,300
edited August 2002 in Troubleshooting
Just curious to know if they have a damping fluid. If so is it replacable. I opened one up to press the dome back into position where one of my kids had pushed in on it and found it to be dark, I assume they had been over driven at some point in their lifetime. Noticed at that point that they seemed to have fluid, let me know asap. The voice coils seem to be o.k. but there is no real way of telling how long they will last before I have to replace them.......I am not in the habit of overdriving my speakers so they may make for a while at least.

Thanks,
Mike
"Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
"Hey big man let me hold a dollar"
Post edited by hotwheelman on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    edited August 2002
    Options
    The tweeters have a Ultra Low Viscosity Magnetic Fluid in them to cool the voice coil and it is a dark color. I'm not clear from your post, did you lose the fluid? If a tweeter gets pushed in again try using a suction device instead of taking it apart.
    If you plan on replacing the SL3000's I'll buy your good used ones.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• hotwheelman
    edited August 2002
    Options
    F1,if I do replace them I will let you know. I had assumed that what I was seeing was fluid, was not aware that it had a dark color so I guess maybe they havn't been overdriven. Or if they have the voice coil seems to be o.k. just from looking at the winding. I had spyed the two that were up for grabs on ebay but that was still to rich for my wallet right now. I guess I will use them until I can afford to replace them.

Later,
    Mike :cool:
  • F1nut
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Mike,

SL3000's on eBay? What, where when???

Jesse

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited August 2002
    Options
    2 just ended a few days ago.....I think $82 and $78.....
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Oh.....they were new in box......
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • F1nut
    edited August 2002
    Options
    DAMN.....DAMN.....DAMN.....:supermad:

You guys are suppose to tell me about things like this before the auction ends.

President of Club Polk

• hotwheelman
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Sorry about that, I wish I had realized that there was a real need for the sl's. I just took it forgranted that most of us looked at that cat. on eaby or I would have posted a heads up about them. Again I will let you know if I replace mine and decide to sell the used ones. Hey nascarman, email me and let me know what you would take for one of those mw 6503's. Hotwheel@chartertn.net

Mike:cool:
  • F1nut
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Thanks Mike!

I should look for myself more often....doh

President of Club Polk