Phono pre-amps

madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
edited February 2006 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
Hey guys, I finally got my Manley Steelhead phono preamp! It is everything I thought it would be so the other two I tried are up for sale. Both are pretty much new. Maybe 3 hours on the Jolida and about 20 hours on the Acoustech. Neither are even broken in. They go on Agon next week if no one wants them.

Jolida JD9. $400 shipped. Normally $500 plus shipping.

Acoustech. $1000 shipped. Normally $1500 plus shipping.

You can read about the Jolida on their site or the Acoustech at www.acousticsounds.com site. The Jolida is a little less refined than the Acoustech but has a selectable very high output level, full bodied sound and tube output. The Acoustech is about as good as you can do unless you are willing to get into the $3K+ range. BTW, it IS the premium edition. A Stereophile favorite.

madmax

Both units are pretty much new as I described.
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
Post edited by madmax on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2006
    Both do MM or MC?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • madmax
    edited February 2006
    Yes. both handle MM or MC cartridges and of course they provide different settings to match the individual cart. The Jolida has two outputs, pre-tube output and tube stage output. With the phono pre-amps I have found you get what you pay for. I could have been perfectly happy with the Jolida, until I heard the Acoustech. I could have been happy with the Acoustech, until I heard the Steelhead. At this point I refuse to listen to the Boulder ($60K) no matter what!
    madmax

• BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited February 2006
    If the Acoustech isn't gone before my PS Audio GCPH arrives, I'd love to have a mini shoot-out side by side. Very close on features/specs. The GCPH has balanced outs.
  • madmax
    edited February 2006
    No problem.
    madmax

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2006
    Is the Acoutech model number "PH-1"?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • madmax
    edited February 2006
    Tour2ma wrote:
    Is the Acoutech model number "PH-1"?

No, it is the PH-1P. The one with the gold pc boards.
    madmax

• Tour2ma
    edited February 2006
    Ah.... the "Pimped out" model...

Gracias...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited February 2006
    Well, let me officially express my interest and see where or how I can squeeze any more dollars out for the Acoutech.

RT1
  • madmax
    edited February 2006
    Well, let me officially express my interest and see where or how I can squeeze any more dollars out for the Acoutech.

RT1

I have an easy payment plan... :)
    madmax

• reeltrouble1
    edited February 2006
    10-4 on that. Wrap that cadillac and call me Big Poppa Pimp Daddy!!!!

PM to you Chuck.

RT1
  • madmax
    edited February 2006
    OK Big Poppa Pimp Daddy, the Caddy's being wrapped as we speak. Acoustech sold to Pimp Daddy!
    PM sent.

Still got the Jolida for sale if anyone is interested.
    It's not a slacker, believe me.

madmax

• reeltrouble1
    edited February 2006
    Well thanks to MM the Acoustech is on its way and I am excited about getting it into the rack, Why, well here is an excerpt from a review.

People get ready:
    Both the Linn Linto phono preamplifier and the AcousTech Electronics PH-1 phono preamplifier personify what the High End is all about. Both offer superior engineering in the service of music reproduction, and both provide sound quality that would have been inconceivable at any price a scant five years ago.

No one could call them cheap, but you can spend a lot more than either one costs and not achieve better sound quality. Of course, there are more expensive units out there that do offer better sound, but you'd have to spend considerably more to obtain a musically significant improvement.

I like 'em both, and recommend both without reservation. Technology serving art is what the High End is all about. If you're looking to improve the sound of your record-playing system, you should listen to these two units first. It could be a while before you'll need to look any further.

Thanks again and someone should really jump on the Jolida.

RT1
  • madmax
    edited February 2006
    This is an article on the original PH1. (not the PH1P, notice it doesn't have the gold board, it has the green soldermask)

http://www.audiophilia.com/hardware/acoustech.htm

I was looking for the original stereophile article but didn't find it. BTW, it is a stereophile class A rated piece of equipment although I know some people believe that doesn't mean anything...

madmax

Edit: Here is a nice write up on the Jolida...
    http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/messages/500151.html

• madmax
    edited February 2006
    Bumped in case PRC wanted to take a look...
    madmax

• Tour2ma
    edited February 2006
    Shameless... :p
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli