Improved SDA Interconnect Cables

Comments

• DiscoMike
    DiscoMike Posts: 114
    edited February 2006
    Hi DarqueKnight !!!

Do you have the revised manual for the SDA Interconnect Cables ? If so, do you have it in PDF format ?

I have an SDA-1C which I would love to improve the sound on, especially in the high frequency area. These speakers have the original sub, woofer, baffles and tweeters on them. Nothing has been replaced since purchasing them 16 years ago. These babys give great bass, but at the sacrafice of the highs, compared to the SDA 2 speakers. I will deffinetly be replacing the plastic binding posts with gold plated posts on these speakers. Thinking of using Cardas for the binding posts.

Do you know of any tweeter improvements that could be made to bring out the highs that are hindered in these speakers ? Do you know of any horn tweeters that could replace the tweeters without having to do any cutting to the cabinet ?

Thanks much !!!

Disco-Mike
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited February 2006
    DiscoMike wrote:
    Do you know of any tweeter improvements that could be made to bring out the highs that are hindered in these speakers ? Do you know of any horn tweeters that could replace the tweeters without having to do any cutting to the cabinet ?

Thanks much !!!

Disco-Mike

Horn tweeters? are you out of your mind?

If you look around here, Polk has a drop in replacemnt for your SL2000's, it is a silk doom and EVERYONE loves the improvement. Call customer service and ask for the RD0194-1 tweeter.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,500
    edited February 2006
    if he's looking for a horn mod, I dont think he's gonna get the sound out of those that he wants. Although, for everyone else, the silk tweet was an eye openner, so maybe.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited February 2006
    DiscoMike wrote:
    Hi DarqueKnight !!!

Do you have the revised manual for the SDA Interconnect Cables ? If so, do you have it in PDF format ?
    Mike,

Welcome to the forum.

I assume you mean the 2nd Edition SDA Compendium? I have not published it yet. I was planning on putting it out in December of 2005. However, I had to reprioritize my time due to some unplanned visits a couple of rude ladies (Katrina & Rita). The past few months have been taken up with

1. Storm damage cleanup.
    2. Property repairs.
    3. Arguing bank and forth with insurance claims adjusters.
    4. Search and rescue missions.
    5. Providing lodging and transportation for a variety of friends and relatives.
    6. Increased work loads at my jobs.

Items 1, 2, 4, and 5 have been completed. I expect items 3 and 6 will continue for another couple of months. This will give me just enough "down" time to get ready for the 2006 hurricane season, which officially begins June 1st. :eek:
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • DarqueKnight
    edited February 2006
    DiscoMike wrote:
    Hi DarqueKnight !!!

Do you know of any horn tweeters that could replace the tweeters without having to do any cutting to the cabinet ?

No, and this is not something I would recommend. If you like horn tweeters, you would get better sound quality using a speaker that was designed for them.

This question brings to mind the sound of fingernails scraping across a chalk board.
  • DiscoMike
    edited February 2006
    OK, I think I just upset the Polk community by mentioning those two magical words... "horn tweeters". Judging by the feedback, I hereby recall the request to place horn tweeters in my beloved SDA-1C speakers, and will opt for a silked dome tweeter (will need to purchase 4 since two are used for each speaker). Hopefully, the speaker gods will not punish me for the request and allow me into Polk heaven when that time comes.

Several years back, I heard some Klipsh speakers in a showroom producing highs that my SDA-1Cs could not achive. Of course, the sales person pointed out that the Klipshs were equipped with horn tweeters which is what gave the highs its unique sound. Judging by the Klipshs and listening to my friends SDA 2s which produced better highs, but not as much bottoms as my 1Cs, I went by the assumption that speakers that have better bass would come at the expense of reproducing highs. Since purchasing the 1Cs 16 years ago, speaker manufactures combatted this tendancy by producing bi-amp speakers, or at least, that is my assumption, hence my request for dropping a horn tweeter into the Polks.

In order to answer the burning question that is on everyones mind - Darque - yup, I am talking about the 2nd edition compendium. Sorry to hear about your setbacks. If "the ladies in your life" (Katrina and Rita) cant behave themselves, then I say to cancel valentines day on them. No chocolate, no roses... PERIOD !!! Better yet, have THEM take you out for dinner and a movie !!! Dont settle for McDonalds and a DVD rental as a substitute !!! Have them wine and dine you !!!

Would you have any price estimates on what the speaker upgrades would cost ? I'm willing to purchase new tweeters, binding posts, and an SDA cable, which my speaker configuration is of the pin-blade type. Do you recommend new crossovers as well ? I would like to get better high frequencies from the speakers. Ive been pretty happy with the vocals and bass end. Spacialness and stereo seperation has always been good with these babies, but if more could be gotten from a bit of upgrading, then I would be for it.

Lets hope at the end, that the upgrade costs doesnt come to the cost of the speakers themselves. If thats the case, perhaps we should come out with our own speaker manufacture line.

Thanks much !!!

Disco Mike
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited February 2006
    DarqueKnight,

Sorry to hear about your situation. Providing a helping hand is something people will never forget. God's speed and grace be with you!

Carl

I would like a copy of that compendium someday
    Carl

• DarqueKnight
    edited February 2006
    SDA 1C's sell in the range of $600 to $700. I spent $563 for my SDA 1C modifications which included:

1. A custom SDA interconnect cable ($86).
    2. Capacitors and resitors for the crossovers, and binding posts ($274).
    3. Silk dome tweeters, RD-0194, ($192).
    4. Grille cloth ($11).

Do a search on "SDA modification". You'll find lots of good info.
  • DarqueKnight
    edited February 2006
    schwarcw wrote:
    Sorry to hear about your situation.

Thanks, but no need to be sorry. I'm doing fine. My experience in all this has (thankfully) been limited to mere inconvenience.
  • DiscoMike
    edited February 2006
    My SDA-1Cs cost me $1500 including tax when I purchased them in 1990.
    :eek: :eek: :eek:
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2006
    I have ONE 15+ ft run of Audioquest Midnight speaker cable (4 x 14awg in a Hyperlitz braid, dark blue outter jacket). Chuck, I have your run already set aside. HIGH end cable, retailed for 10 or 12 bucks a foot in it's day.

Caveat, you are going to use it for an SDA cable, based on Raife's thread, and will post details and (hopefully) pictures of the finished product. First come, first served BUT only if you intend to support this thread with the results.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • twochannel
    twochannel Posts: 171
    edited February 2006
    Excellent write up on your upgraded interconnect cable. I may try this on my SDA-SRS's.
  • schwarcw
    edited February 2006
    Is the original SDA cable solid or stranded wire? Seems like 16 guage stranded to me. Anyone repair an end connection and know for sure?

Carl
    Carl

• nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited January 2008
    jcmccorm wrote: »
    ...the Monster Z2 Reference speaker wires are pricey...

DarqueNight, I'm wondering if you like the Monster Z2 Reference as a generic speaker cable, or was your use of it restricted to the custom interconnect? I just did a bit of searching, and it seems the Z2 Reference prices out at about $5/foot, except for here:

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=MCZ2RFT

This almost seems like a "too good to be true" price, but at $1.29/foot, I'd use it for the main speaker cables too!!!
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • schwarcw
    edited January 2008
    nspindel wrote: »
    DarqueNight, I'm wondering if you like the Monster Z2 Reference as a generic speaker cable, or was your use of it restricted to the custom interconnect? I just did a bit of searching, and it seems the Z2 Reference prices out at about $5/foot, except for here:

This almost seems like a "too good to be true" price, but at $1.29/foot, I'd use it for the main speaker cables too!!!

Go for it and use it for the SDA interconnect. For speaker cables I suggest that you consider Signal Cable. There is a lot of testimony here about the results using their Silver Resolution cables. Look Here
    Carl

• DarqueKnight
    edited January 2008
    DarqueNight, I'm wondering if you like the Monster Z2 Reference as a generic speaker cable, or was your use of it restricted to the custom interconnect?

I use Z2 Reference in my office rig at work and in my home theater system. I use Z3 Reference in my master bedroom system. I also used Z3 in my two channel rig for a long time until the upgrade bug started biting.:) I bought my Z2 off of eBay from a guy who was selling lengths off a spool. That is a good price for the Z2 in your link, assuming they are legit.

I concur that the Signal speaker cables offer better resolution over Z2.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited January 2008

It's a good price, bought it from them before @.99/foot
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • nspindel
    edited January 2008
    schwarcw wrote: »
    Go for it and use it for the SDA interconnect. For speaker cables I suggest that you consider Signal Cable. There is a lot of testimony here about the results using their Silver Resolution cables. Look Here

Hmmm, these are about 20X as expensive as the Monster Z2 price through that site. Given that my application actually requires quite short cables, I don't think I can afford not to try the Z2 for my main speaker cable ;) Considering a pair of 6 foot cables will cost $15 (unterminated), it's a pretty low risk experiment...
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • nspindel
    edited January 2008
    DarqueNight, picky but important question - do you recall which size Monster spade you used on top of the base piece to pair with the Cardas CCGR-S binding post? The choices are MAS-H (0.250"), LAS-H (0.330"), and XLAS-H (0.339"). Just wondering which ones to purchase...
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited January 2008

Buy from them w/o out hesitation. I bought some IXOS cable from them and it shipped very quickly without issue. Good company in my limited experience.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • nspindel
    edited January 2008
    Ship 'em to work, that's what I'm doing with the new Sonicaps for my 2B's;)
  • nspindel
    edited January 2008
    Lasareath wrote: »
    I just measured my spades and the inside opening is 0.3125", I don't know which model they are though. But it looks like the posts on my 1.2tl's are 1/4"

Sal

Wondering if you're using those same Cardas binding posts? Ideally I'd want the smallest spade that's wide enough to fit that post....
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited January 2008
    If you get them with bananas you won't have to worry about what size to get.

Nspindel, 6 foot is too short, get 10 foot at a minimum. A word of caution, fitting the Cardas posts requires great care. You can't just drill out a round hole, they have to have a shoulder.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nspindel
    edited January 2008
    Even if the speakers are relatively close together with the amp in the middle? I had always thought shorter is better, but keep the cables the same length. Curious why the standard length for those Signal Cable Silver Resolutions in the link above would be 6 feet?
  • nspindel
    edited January 2008
    F1nut wrote: »
    A word of caution, fitting the Cardas posts requires great care. You can't just drill out a round hole, they have to have a shoulder.

Ah, thanks for the heads up! Do you recall a thread that has any details?
  • DarqueKnight
    edited January 2008
    DarqueNight, picky but important question - do you recall which size Monster spade you used on top of the base piece to pair with the Cardas CCGR-S binding post? The choices are MAS-H (0.250"), LAS-H (0.330"), and XLAS-H (0.339"). Just wondering which ones to purchase...

The medium angled spades (MAS-H - 0.25") are a perfect fit for the Cardas posts. Monster's screw-on banana pins make a nice tight connection in the Cardas posts, but I preferred the spades because there is less strain on the cable/connector joint since the cable is not hanging down at a 90 degree angle. Plus, you can control the tightness of the connection with spades.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited January 2008
    Ah, thanks for the heads up! Do you recall a thread that has any details?

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12054&highlight=cardas+post+upgrade
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • nspindel
    edited January 2008
    As for F1's warning on fitting those Cardas posts, is it only an issue for the new post for the custom SDA interconnect, or is the replacement of the stock posts equally tricky?
  • nspindel
    edited January 2008
  • nspindel
    edited January 2008
    I'm still a bit confused about the whole 1 or 2 conductor question on the pin-blade interconnects. I pulled my crossovers out of my 2B's yesterday for the TL upgrade I'm going to start doing, and was checking out the connections for the SDA cable. There's definitely two wires connected to the pin-blade post. One is obviously carrying the dimensional signal, the other is shorted to the ground terminal of the main speaker posts. So wouldn't there need to be a second conductor in the sda interconnect which connects the two grounds together, thus creating the common ground of the speakers? A single conductor cable would carry the dimensional signal, but where does the common ground get connected?

I suppose you could always save yourself the cost of a binding post and just run speaker wire between the grounds of the main speaker posts, but the single-conductor description of the stock pin-blade sda interconnect is not making sense to me given what I see inside the cabinet.