...Onkyo or Denon?

Options
mjk91383
mjk91383 Posts: 298
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
I'm in the market for a new receiver, and I'm looking for something with DTS-ES and Pro-Logic 2. I've kind of narrowed my search down to the Denon AVR-2802 and the new Onkyo TX-DS797.

These two recievers have almost the exact same features, but the 797 is THX-Select certified, and there's another $200 on the price tag.

Could someone please tell me what I should do? I've heard some positive comments about THX, but the majority of the feedback I get is negative.

Is this THX certification worth the extra money? Should I go with the Denon over the Onkyo?... Onkyo over Denon? I'm upgrading from an H/K AVR-210, and I want to make sure that I'm not spending more money than I have to.

Any feedback I can get about THX, whether it be negative or positive, I'd really appreciate. Thanks! :)
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited September 2001
    Options
    HI:

Check out Pioneer Elite. You won't be disappointed.

Gary:p
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited September 2001
    Options
    ....let him hear! Let your ears decide. To me, THX doesn't mean whole lot. To someone else that might not be the case.

Aaron
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Like Aaron said "Let YOUR ears decide".
    One thing about Denon is they are the oldest Japenese electronics manufacture, if it counts for anything. I changed my Yamaha A1 for a Denon 3802 and am very happy with it but it's my ears deciding this. As for THX, I'm not for or against it. It's the new kid on the block per say and gets its good and bad. Dolby started out in the 60's with the noise reduction bit believe me they get their money too.
    If a product is not THX by no means does it mean it's BAD or if it is THX it may be not be to some peoples likings. As for THX-EX(DD-EX) I like DTS-ES better. My main reason for getting the Denon besides the sound quality of the pre and prossesor, I use seperate amps. Sorry for the length.

Chris
    Chris :)
  • EPrado
    EPrado Posts: 10
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Hi,

I will sudgest for you to check to see what others have to say at audioreview.com I ended up getting a Yamaha RXV-3000 which does everything that you can imagine. However, I was sold on the Onkio 797.

If you can't go for the Yamaha for $1050.00 e price. MSRP $2k, street price 1,500. With Onkio you save at least like $200 over Yamaha and I think is a great product. Denon, I don't know about it.

Again, go for the reviews. My opinion between Onkio na Denon. I go for Onkio 797.

:cool:
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Audio Review has a love it or hate it type of review. For the most part you get people who have had problems and complain or ones who think there can be NO better then what they have. Not a reputable site for honest reviews, to say the least.
    Different receivers are going to sound different to different peoples ears. Unless you go real high end or low end there is no great sound difference IMHO. Just slight sound differences and different bells and whistles. It is YOUR ears which HAVE to MAKE the decission. I could say something about every receiver mentioned here which has something I didn't like or sounded better with this speaker, including Denon. My Polks are in my bedroom system, which holds its own very well. My main system is seperates and much more enjoyable as well as adjustable. IMO a review should not tell you buy this, rather let you know what is good, bad, and why. I bought the Denon for the pre-outs and the DTS-ES features IMO DTS is the better format, it does DD-EX very well also. On the down side it could use a few more sound feilds.
    Chris
    Chris :)
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited September 2001
    Options
    I really like the Onkyo's, my ds787 rocks. I must say the new Denon line looks very impressive though. I agree that THX doesn't mean very much except that the cert. eqip. that they put there name is built to very high standards and spec.'s. But the actual THX DSP's sound like crap , always pump out at a much lower volume and sound less crisp. Take atvantage of all the channels though, my 6.1 seems so complete. Good luck and have fun. LATER:)
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2001
    Options
    I still use my 3 year old 454 Onk, had rt800/cs300/rt25 or ls/fx combo for over 3 years....not a problem in the world.....

Basically, no shrillness, no harshness...I think the Polk/Onk matchup is a good one, at least for the RT line....

Cheers,
    Russ

and along with what Scott said, I say THX SchmeHX
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.