musical subwoofers

Options
brittan_farmer
brittan_farmer Posts: 12
edited August 2002 in 2 Channel Audio
Which subwoofers perform well with music? The use would be aiding a pair of bookshelf speakers. There are a lot of subwoofers out there, but many are made for home theater and are not always well-suited to music. Also, are there any cues about the best use for subwoofer from looking at its specs? I am not going to be purchasing one anytime soon, but I am curious as to which brands and lines are good for this use. Thanks.
Post edited by brittan_farmer on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited August 2002
    Options
    OK,
    right up my alley....ReL subs are one of the most musicial sub's on the market today.They wire up with a high level and low level at the same time inputs.It uses a balanced speaker type cable sharing a common ground.real musical.
    Nother brand for musical sub would be Dynaudio's quick tight clean sounding subs.The 20a and the 30a...Both are real nice.
    Last but not least would be the asw line from B&W....they have been making real nice subs over the years and todays subs are no different but inproved.
    Polk sub's well they are what they are.....ok woofer boxes at a good price.Music I don't ever use my psw450 .It's to forced sounding.For the money it's a nice low extention woofer.For just music I would look esle where.

Sub's from Bob Carver like the true sub and the super Jr..they are preety quick and musical.I listened to there line a couple of times and have been very impressed.If I hadn't found my love in sub's(REL)I would seriously consider a Sunfire.
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,764
    edited August 2002
    Options
    SVS (www.svsubwoofers.com) makes a good, musical sub also.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited August 2002
    Options
    The Adire Rava is a very good musical sub that has gotten some very good reviews . See it HERE. I have the Dayton Titanic from www.partsexpress.com which I think does a very good job with music. Both are sealed sub designs which may not have as much rumble factor for movies as a ported design (they are still pretty good for movies though). I was going to buy the Rava but they were out of stock when I was ready to buy so I went with the Dayton Titanic instead. I am very pleased. The HSU subs are also considered very good. I think Juice21 who used to post a lot here bought 2 and reported they performed well with music.

Where did Juice go anyways? He hasn't been around for a few months. Has anyone heard form him? He had like 2000 posts. Maybe he got post overload.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Juice21 went post-al lol
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited August 2002
    Options
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MMMMMMMMMM&&&&&&&&&&&KKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MILLER AND KREISEL!!!! THEY RULE! PUSH PULL!!!! heck yeah!
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Second the B&W's, and the SVS also. HSU does a great job musically, my personal fav, is the Jm Lab Chorus sub. You have to hear it to believe it.....

For the pesos, its the only sub (sealed) I would seriously consider in a 2ch rig...... 11 inch sealed Focal woofer, can be had for around $600-$650.....

http://www.focal-jmlab.fr/gb/home/chorus/sw700.htm

sw700.jpg

Get your read on, you won't be disappointed with this little-known gem.....

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    edited August 2002
    Options
    I LOVE THE CHERRY WOOD
    thats a good looking sub
    Dan
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Get your read on, you won't be disappointed with this little-known gem.....
    30Hz. at -6db??? I'm disappointed. Sounds like this should be called a musical woofer, albeit a sexy one

Aaron
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Lets discuss acoustic suspension (sealed) designs my dear Aaron. Sealed designs have a very gradual roll after 3db down, ported designs typically drop like Niagra Falls once you hit 3db down. There is much more useable response after the listed 3 or 6db downpoint.

You should also take into consideration, that Jm, kinda like B&W, does not 'pad' their stats. The give true, anehoic readings, which should only improve once they hit your living room.

Accurate, deep, musical bass. I promise ya....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Aaron
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Sealed designs have a very gradual roll after 3db down, ported designs typically drop like Niagra Falls once you hit 3db down. There is much more useable response after the listed 3 or 6db downpoint.
    If it's -6dB down at 30Hz., what difference does the slope of the rolloff make? You're not gonna hear it anyway.

Aaron
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Ok, don't buy it, don't demo it. The stats mean everything.

Ever seen/heard AR9's? Sealed, with 2 12's in each cab. Specs put it at 28Hz 3db down (once gain, chamber rated). I guarantee that thing is going subsonic...but hey, if the specs are what you are going by, aint' no point in discussing it further.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Oh, and Dan, they call that finish 'Calvados', and it is even sexier in person, has a great red-orange hue...

Cheers,
    Russ
  • mantis
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Aaron,
    what I think Russ is trying to tell you is that Spec's are one thing but hearing it go is another.

I have preaced this XXXX times over.EFF THE SPEC'S AS A FINAL DECISION.

Spec's are great to know and you can base some planning around them.They can guide you into mating the correct Ohm load with a amp that can handle it.Throw distance ,The distance form the Screen to the Projector is a needed spec.Light output,Etc is all needed.

Audio I have found to be more subjective and sweatened...as Russ posted, alot of companies TWEAK the spec to make comsumers believe there more then what it is.....
    Example.............The Denon avr5800....rated at 170 watts per channel.You would think with all channels driven you would have 170 watts avalible to you, but you don't.....actually it is 85 watts all channels driven......now that is a scary number.

I say before you or anyone for that matter as I'm not singling you out my Brother,You need to go experience the gear,play with it,see how it sounds then how it can work it's way into your personal system.

There's alot that can be said about this.
    Dan
    Dan
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited August 2002
    Options
    I put my sonosub to some 2-channel last night for the first time. I was very impressed at how well this thing did. Very tight, clean deep bass, not boomy at all. Enya never sounded so good.

The Velodyne CT-120 I use to have was way to boomy so I never used to for 2-channel.

Peace Out~:D

If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Aaron
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Ok, don't buy it, don't demo it. The stats mean everything.
    I'm looking for a little more explanation for this apparent phenomenon than just telling me to demo it. I don't think 30Hz. at -6dB is a very subjective specification.

Aaron
  • mantis
    edited August 2002
    Options
    You read the spec's.Now make a decesion
    Dan
  • Aaron
    edited August 2002
    Options
    You read the spec's.Now make a decesion
    Well that clears it right up. Sheesh.

Aaron