Room Setup: Part II

Aaron
Aaron Posts: 1,853
edited August 2002 in 2 Channel Audio
I've been kicking around different room configurations for the basement for the past few weeks. I had a builder friend come over on Tuesday and got his input. I think he will help with the construction of the room which should begin in October. Here is the latest design idea. I'm curious what kind of acoustic problems I may or may not have with the L-shaped room. Anybody know? The "square" part of the L measures 12' wide and 11' long. My hope is that my seating area will be far enough forward (toward the speakers) that it won't be affected by the dog leg part of the L.

Aaron
Post edited by Aaron on

Comments

• Aaron
    edited August 2002
    *bump*

Scott, Max, Mantis, Russ, etc? (in descending alphabetical order)

Anyone, Bueller?

Aaron
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited August 2002
    Alright
    here's what I see.Reflection points close in that narrow room your going to use.You gonna need to space the speaker 8 feet apart max.Then with some tweaking on toe in,you could clean up the echo effect your going to have.
    As the room looks,I see some treatment going on the side walls at the first reflection point.Nice thick rug and padding I hope is going in.Bass will be alittle weaker then what the speakers you use can provide.
    2 feet off the side walls and 3 feet off the back wall maxed out.
    Thats about all you get with the short 11 foot wall on the right.
    Good luck with that set up, with alittle time I think you can get it to sound pretty good.
    You know I could always stop in after it's all said and done and maybe together we could get it to go.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Aaron
    edited August 2002
    Do you see any other way to better set up the room (dimension-wise)? Refer to my first post for more info (click here). It seems like any way you slice it I'll end up with a 12' wall somewhere. Do you see the 11' side wall by the stereo being a problem (i.e. too short)? I was thinking of placing the speakers 6-7' apart and 2-3' off the side walls. Then I'd pull them 2-3' off the front wall. I figured my seating position would be 6-7' away from the speakers. So, that should put my seating position at most 10' from the front wall (12' wall). So, that means that my seating position will probably sit about 1-2' in front of the dog leg of the L. Hopefully this won't be a problem.

Aaron
  • mantis
    edited August 2002
    Aaron,
    6 to 7 feet apart is ok,I perfer them to be alittle wider for a more open sound.I would go 8 feet in that room.that puts the 2 feet off the side walls,then 3 feet off the back walls.Thats not a bad set up.Treatment will need to be placed at 1st reflection point as I posted before.

The room layout,most of your designs can be worked with nomatter which way you go.2 channel stereo can be fixed quite easy in a difficult room.Your room is not that difficult,just narrow and shallow.

I'll tell you what...I will give you a couple of room sizes that would work really well for 2 channel(as long as you don't go Martin Logan,then your gonna need a large deep room).

13x20
    12x18
    14x22
    16x21
    15x21
    If you take what you have learned about room acoustics,you can see where your problems will lay before you build.Depth ,the more you have the better.Same goes for how wide the room ends up being...more is bettter here as well.

You gotta work with what you got Bro,Don't sweat it to much,As long as you don't make it a desaster,you'll be fine.It will go.
    Equal trianle works ok for some speakers, but not for all,sometimes you need to adjust your seating by 1 to 3 feet difference.

:)
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited August 2002
    After thinking about it Aaron,
    you should really seek the advice of the Twisted Twins.....They know there ****......I'm just a lonely Pro Installer, they are the Harry Homeowners with all the right tools and experience.I mean hanging big speakers off the ceiling and seeing dead people are just out of my league.....Sorry for my misleading post....I leave it up to the Twisted Twins .
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2002
    Wow, lots of pretty numbers for room dimensions. Whats the forumla used to find those? Is that a function on my HP calculator?

Does room height play into it at all? Or is this a 2-dimensional world we are living in? I think his room is about 7ft tall, which for all intents and purposes, he's ****.

Aaron, eff the room, use the layout you have (gear on the short wall), equi-distant between speakers, and your man chair. 6th grade geometry, remember? Get yourself good shelf-mounters, high mass stands, amp em up, and be done with it.

If need be, hang a blanket/rug/drapery on the wall behind your gear, if reflections start to creep up....

Cheers,
    Dee Snyder
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited August 2002
    1150/2L for reflection if I recall... But I am pretty Lit right now.

115~ speed of sound
    L is the Dim you want to estimate the reflection.
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2002
    OK,

So I assume that I am one of the Twisted Twins?? Where the hell did that come from? I NEVER even POSTED on this topic other than that with a subfloor and a drop ceiling that the room is going to be rather claustrophobic.

I am curious as to what Length/Width ratio is optimum though.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited August 2002
    Your room size X room height, plus the cost of start up bussiness costs + remodeling costs then - you have no job - you live at home = headphone city :lol:
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • mantis
    edited August 2002
    Russ,
    good one.Nice quality post.You need to go to acoustics class.But I know you could teach it.
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2002
    The room is 7ft tall, that pretty much ends acoustics class, don't ya think?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    edited August 2002
    Yeah and ends me posting anymore.
    Dan
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2002
    ??????

I was honestly trying to learn something here! I was finding this informative as this is a subject that I know little about.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited August 2002
    Originally posted by hoosier21
    Your room size X room height, plus the cost of start up bussiness costs + remodeling costs then - you have no job - you live at home = headphone city :lol:

Hoosier21,

Shouldn't "you live at home" be a "+" instead of a "-". I assume that with "no job" he is paying "no rent", which is implied income.

I can't count the times I have lost points on an engineering exam because of a "sign error". :(
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited August 2002
    I guess I was thinking it was a negative because mom and dad don't want to hear the noise
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2002
    Living at home is a good time and reason to get your car audio on. Get the car all hopped up and then when you move out you get your house hopped up. Just another way to look at it.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Aaron
    edited August 2002
    I guess I was thinking it was a negative because mom and dad don't want to hear the noise
    They're used to the noise, actually. My dad plays his system at least as loud as I ever would (for a sustained period of time), and his system is in the living room.

Aaron