rear speakers for dvd audio/Sacd?

plem
plem Posts: 30
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
Any one know what rear speakers are best for dvd audio/Sacd?

dipole/bipole speakers? monoploes such as Rt35i's ,etc

Please, only input for those interested on the format!
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited September 2001
    I used a pair of Polk-Audio F/X500 and the PSW150 sub for the rear channels for DVD-A and it sound incredible. Put on the Foreigner, Fleetwood Mac or Deep Purple DVD-A disc and experience them for yourself, it will knock your sock off and blow you away…:)
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited September 2001
    Although I've only heard the two formats at a store, I would go with regular conventional monopole. I would think seriously about some of the older monitor series bookshelfs.

My thinking: At the time of DPL, I could see were dipole/bipole would be good. It was basically a mono source spread across the back of the room. But now, the music is being directed to any given speaker and should be dealt with accordingly. If dipole/bipole was good at point source reproduction more manufacturers would put it in their front speakers.

This is only my conjecture and could be wrong. It sometimes is.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2001
    If the speaker is to be used for listening to music, use a standard, direct radiating speaker. Hopefully, one that is matched to your mains, at least as far as x-over and tweeter go.....

Even though I haven't jumped on the dvd-a/sacd bandwagon, I'm sure that di/bipole speakers are not the best choice for music reproduction. Not to say they won't do it, but they seem to lean toward a more ambient effect for movies, not straight forward audio....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited September 2001
    Right now, I have the SDA3.1TL's as mains with the FX500's as surrounds.

I have a denon3801 receiver. It supports two sets of surround speakers (not including additional rear surrounds). Someday, when I get a big enough living room... I'll move my Monitor 10's to music surround duty while keeping the FX500's for movie surrounds. I use the RT25i's as rear surrounds.

Anyway, the FX500's do a decent enough job for DVD-Audio all by themselves. I highly recommend this format. Properly done, multi-channel imaging is important.