Who owns B&W 303s?

johnnyamerika
johnnyamerika Posts: 382
edited August 2002 in 2 Channel Audio
I finally got a chance to listen to these guys, after all of the talk flying around how great they are. My friend bought a pair, based on my recommendation (a little evil, I know). So I got to set them up and demo them with him.

These little guys rock. I was simply blown away by the clarity, the depth, and the imaging. I could pick sounds out of the air as clearly as if they were a physical object. Instruments sound very tight and live, and I heard little snippets that I've never heard before. Not to mention they are some of the most attractive speakers I've ever seen, with a gorgeous maple finish and that dimpled golf-ball baffle. The bass was not so deep, but it was certainly tight and very accurate.

I compaired these to my Rt800i's, and I can't believe the difference. The 800s are very loose, and very lacsadasical in comparison. At half the cost, the B&Ws are a clear winner.

So who else owns a pair of these guys? Would anyone furnish a HT setup with them, or are they primarly strong as a 2 channel rig?
Post edited by johnnyamerika on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2002
    I've got a pair. Very similar sound to the 601s2, and for $150 less a pair.....

They are amazing little speakers, I've recommended them over and over. I have not found a better value in their price point, nothing even close.

In a speaker shootout I did with some friends, they were the lowest priced ($300/pair) of the bunch, and held their own against some much higher priced, and larger speakers (same driver config, 6.5 mid-bass & 1 inch dome). The larger speakers offered more low end of course, but for detail, and soundstage it was VERY close.

The other speakers were the Norh 4.0 Marble ($450/pair), A/V Reality 3d ($1500/pair), and Thiel CS.5 ($1500/pair purchased for $800 used).

Cheers,
    Russ

They pull double duty at my ranch, I use them for 1 zone in the whole-house rig w/ an ASW500 sub, and also as mains in the HT.....
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited August 2002
    That's awesome, It's very neat to hear that they held their own against those other speakers. I'd love to hear a comparison of the 303's to the Lsi9's.

I recommended these to my friend as a zone 2 Bedroom set, and I think he's extremely happy with the results. Why don't you run these guys as surrounds in your HT as well?
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    Rears in HT are at the VERY bottom of my list. I have some AR Edge rears that do more than enough for me.

Just not a high priority for me, thats all.... but when/if I might go for it. The LM1 is probably a better option for me (wall mount, smaller size), based on my room. BUT, we may cash out of this house, and build another one starting in December, so things could change...

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited August 2002
    B&W's.......there nice.......try rock music.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    Try rock music?
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited August 2002
    Try rock music?

Try rock music?

Try rock music?

Try rock music?

Try rock music?
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited August 2002
    Try rock music?

Try rock music?

Try rock music?

Try rock music?

Try rock music?
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    Ok, I put 201 Carver wpc rms to my 303's tonight, spinning Slayer - Reign in Blood off the ADC 16/2,,,,,,

I think I saw dead people......

What am I looking for?
  • mantis
    edited August 2002
    Waaa....hahah......lolololol..........that was effin great man!!!

I think you found what your lookin for my man.

Man you can't post like anymore I'm so dying over hear......haha.

SO you think they can play rock or DEATH METAL well?
    I was wondering...one of the things that steered me away from B&W is the fact I thought they lacked in that department.However they do sound really great playing everything else but.

effin Waaaaaaa man that post was your best one yeat.
    I effin love it.
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    Never had an issue with any 'style' or genre on B&W.....
  • mantis
    edited August 2002
    Thats cool.I have.
    Dan