Tweaks & Mods That Don't Work

2»

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited December 2005
    Grills on or off - maybe my LSi grills use good fabric and frames?
    extra effort went into the design and materials used in the LSi grills to make them as acousticly transparent as possible...and it shows.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited December 2005
    michael_w wrote:
    For a while when I would be listening to my system I could make my music skip by sliding out of my recliner. Somehow the static created by me sliding only affected the sound when I was using the coax hookup - it didn't do it when I was using the analog outputs of my dvd player.

I used to experience the same thing at the store I used to work at. All of the receivers in our audio rooms used digital coax. In the winter when things were dry, and static electicity was a problem, I would always touch either a component or the metal strip that runs up the corner of a drywall joint before touching the selector panel. Regardless of which one I touched, the sound would always cut out for a second.

Sometimes it's amazing what stray voltage can do.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited December 2005
    It's weird / facinating that it'll affect it from across the room too...
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited December 2005
    A little late....I don't read this thread as often. Stupidest thing I bought as a tweak was a Monster Product called the Discus. It was a very heavy coated metal disc the same size as a cd and was made to place on top of the cd in the tray. The extra weight was supposed to help with vibration and transport issues. What a load of crap.....I bought it at a discount at the CES (Consumer Electronics Show) when only industry people could attend (late 80's). That is when my general distaste for Monster started. But to be honest if it was another manufacturer I would have been just as displeased.

Live and learn

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited December 2005
    Coins on top of speakers. I tried all kinds of different ways and I didn't hear a damn thing.
    Video cables, Once I owned a cable for Componet that could pass the entire signal and at the corect Ohms, adding higher quality cables didn't help anything.
    Digital cables both optical and Coax. I tried different levels, different brands and I never heard a bit of differnce. the only difference I heard was when I tried a cheap optical cable that came with my HD Dss Mitsubishi receiver. It was the only digital cable that sounded different. It sucked.
    Grills on Grills off. Really not much difference at all. I tried to hear a differnce but man It sounds as good on as off. I think it's the fact you can see the drivers and you now feel all warm and fuzzy.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited December 2005
    I bought the Discus as well. All it did was ruin the CD pickup mechanism of my HK HD500. Not a financially fun repair.

I bought Monster IC's for about $5 a pair at the same time. I've been quite happy with that investment.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited December 2005
    The Lsi's do have a "smart" designed grille; it's open, no plastic dividers cutting across the tweeters. I wish more speaker builders did this, at least in front of the tweeter.

I like my Energy's with the grilles off when critically listening. There is a difference with mine, hearable on a number of discs. If you were here, I could demonstrate it on track 3 of the latest Trapt CD. It's subtle, but noticeable.

A good way to check is to place yourself ear-level about 1 ft in front of the speaker. Have your significant other hold the grill over, then remove it a number of times while your eyes are closed---see if you can guess when the grille is gone or in front of the speaker...neat test, and it works.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited December 2005
    heiney9 wrote:
    I bought it at a discount at the CES (Consumer Electronics Show) when only industry people could attend (late 80's).

CES is still an industry only event, no general public.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited December 2005
    mantis wrote:
    Video cables, Once I owned a cable for Componet that could pass the entire signal and at the corect Ohms, adding higher quality cables didn't help anything.

Yep, me too. Went to a supposedly higher quality Monster silver component cable. Didn't make a bit of difference. No more cable upgrades for me.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited December 2005
    Bi-Wire...TTHHPPPPTTT!
    Wire that cost more than a buck per foot.....TTHHPPPPTTT!
    Fuel Injected, 10 Speed, Chrome-Moly, Ratcheting connectors....TTHHPPPPTTT!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited December 2005
    dorokusai wrote:
    CES is still an industry only event, no general public.

Really....I thought several years ago they opened atleast the main floor to the general public for a fee. I've been out of audio sales for along time.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited December 2005
    Heiney - I can only go with information from the CES website....that may well have occurred previously.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.