need help for FX500i

Options
pktran
pktran Posts: 3
edited July 2002 in Speakers
I just bought FX-500i added to my system ( Sony 1075 receiver, CS245i, RT800i, no sub yet). I got just a litte sound coming out from a FX-500i no matter what I select dipole/bipole. I put FX-550i in the middle of the room and hanging on both sites. Is there any problems with my FX-500i or receiver. Thanks for your advice.
Post edited by pktran on

Comments

• nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited July 2002
    Options
    I would say they are fine. If your Sony has 5 channel stereo.....try this and see if you get more sound out of them.
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • pktran
    pktran Posts: 3
    edited July 2002
    Options
    yes, my Sony has 6 channels stereo
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited July 2002
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of the F/X 500i.
    I traded mine back in at circuit city befor the year was done.
    Two tweeter and one midrange.
    Also, they deleted the real woodgraine finish and opted
    for the ugly CS400i matching vinyl. Ick.

Too much coinage ($500) for an RT35i with an extra tweet - imho.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited July 2002
    Options
    Hello,
    Thanks for posting on the Forum. Whenever I receive a question about reduced surround channel output, I always ask if the person has performed the setup test offered by the receiver. In other words, the receiver will have the ability to balance the outputs of all of the audio channels. This is usually covered in the receiver's owner's manual under "setup instructions". For the most part there will be a hissing sound that will start in the left channel, go to the center, then to the right channel and finally to the two surround channels. The goal is to have this hissing sound seem to be the same strength as it cycles from channel to channel. This is done at the main listening position and many enthusiasts will use the inexpensive Radio Shack sound pressure level meter (approximately $40.00) to more accurately set these levels. Once this is done, avoid the temptation to increase or decrease any of the channels, trust that over the long haul the adjustments will sound best with the majority of program sources. The FX500i should be set to the "di-polar" position if the speakers are on the two side walls, in-line with the audience location. If the speakers are in front of or behind or on the rear wall then the "bi-polar" position is best. This should be done before setting the system balance.
    Once you've done all of that, understand there will be a varying amount of surround channel information, sometimes there will lots of it and others much less. Also, it is very program dependant, digital sources tend to have more discrete surround information than analogue, but not necessarily always. There is a program on PBS that I receive from my cable company where everything comes from the two surround channels. It sounds really terrible, all of this "echo-y" sound, but there must be some kind of sound processing going on at the television station that is being decoded, by my processor, and sending everything to the surround channels. So, my point is that lots of things can effect the degree of surround information, but with a good source it can add to the movie's enjoyment. But, it will very rarely be as loud as the front three channels, it is supposed to support the front channels, and they will be the more prominent sound source.
    Regards, Ken Swauger