stands

Options
brittan_farmer
brittan_farmer Posts: 12
edited July 2002 in 2 Channel Audio
How much do stands improve the sound of bookshelf speakers? What kinds of variations in sound are there between different brands and kinds of stands? Also, how do you know which height to get?

Answers to any of these questions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Post edited by brittan_farmer on

Comments

• burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited July 2002
    Options
    Don't claim to be an expert, but from what I've read and experienced... the first thing stands do is get the speaker up off the floor so it isn't putting half the output right into the carpet. I believe that muddies the bass and generally just depresses the sound quality. Second, and this relates to 'what height?' also, stands get the tweeters to ear level. This has always been the rule of thumb I've read. I have my Monitor 7Cs on stand that are about 10 or 12" high - puts the tweeters near ear level when sitting down. For the shorter 5jr+, I used stands that were more like 20 or 24". (I don't remember for sure, they've been on the wall upstairs for 5 years, and are now on the walls downstairs, and the stands are packed away).
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited July 2002
    Options
    plus with stands you can get the speakers away from the wall, out in the open where they can sing
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited July 2002
    Options
    For what height to get?
    Here's a starter measure the hright of your ear when sitting down in your listening area and this about the height of the tweeter give or take a couple of inches higher.
    Theres alot to be said about stands.The solid the better.

Russman's really into shelf speakers...he could give you some tips as well.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.