Question for those of you who have rebuilt your crossovers

halo
halo Posts: 5,616
edited October 2005 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
:

When you rebuilt your crossovers you replaced the capacitors, poly switches, and resistors but what about that tiny stock wire that runs from the x-over to the drivers? Did you replace it with something thicker?
It seems logical doesn't it? I mean if you run thick heavy gauge wire to the speakers from the amp isn't it getting reduced or diminished by the thin wire in the chassis?
Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
Post edited by halo on

Comments

• WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,708
    edited October 2005
    I mean if you run thick heavy gauge wire to the speakers from the amp isn't it getting reduced or diminished by the thin wire in the chassis?

Not really. The size of the wire needed is determined by the length. The runs inside the speaker are short enough that they will not add any real resistance. And after the crossover, each driver has it's own separate 16 gauge (at least in my SDA1C's) lead.

You may also notice that the leads on the caps and resistors are much smaller than the internal wiring, or your speaker cables.
  • PolknPepsi
    PolknPepsi Posts: 781
    edited October 2005
    I had my crossovers rebuilt in two sets of speakers by the same guy and I almost insisted on having him use very heavy wire. After talking to him for a while I gave in and he used run of the mill stuff.....he said he didn't like hanging big wire off the crossovers. I'm still very happy with the difference the upgrade made on both sets of speakers..(HUGE).
    Denon #2900, Denon stereo receiver, Conrad Johnson Sonographe 120 amp, Blue Jeans cables, and Klipsch RF-7's
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited October 2005
    Okay, I'll bite,,I have a pair of 1c's, the polys' need to be replaced(I have them) can someone recommend a person/reputable business that would upgrade/rebuild the x-overs,as I would not even attempt to do it and will certainly be glad to pay for it,, as I do not want to screw them up. :eek:
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • george daniel
    edited October 2005
    Thanks, good question, I definately need the poly's replaced,and I thought since I was in the neighborhood,should I have the x-overs rebuilt? No I do not have the caps,etc,The poly's I feel that I can replace,as I just pulled one x-over out,other than that everything seems to work fine, but I thought that I had read somewhere that the caps should be replaced every ten years or so. So, at this point I will defer to those who have more experience in this area than myself :) Any advice and/or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.from those that have"been there, done that" :)
  • george daniel
    edited October 2005
    Got the x-overs out,, replacing polys MYSELF,, will order parts for x-overs, I'll re-post after I've finished with the rebuilds,, initially does not look that difficult.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited October 2005
    Good luck!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • george daniel
    edited October 2005
    Polys, done, now to order other goodies, kinda fun, might as well do something productive,since I'm ampless @ present :)
  • george daniel
    edited October 2005
    Will do,, working on that now :)
  • W WALDECKER
    W WALDECKER Posts: 900
    edited October 2005
    Polys, done, now to order other goodies, kinda fun, might as well do something productive,since I'm ampless @ present :)
    poor guy!
    Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
  • george daniel
    edited October 2005
    If you only knew :(
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited October 2005
    If you can swap out a poly switch than you shouldn't have any trouble swapping out the caps either. It isn't a difficult job and can be fun.

I'd be more inclined to consider an internal wire upgrade in the form of using a higher quality wire such as 99.9999% pure copper in place of the scrap copper probably used in the stock wiring, rather than going to a larger wire.