MD POLKFEST 2005 - Information

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited September 2005
    Options
    it was interesting, he said the 5.25" would be the same price. I agree the manufacuring cost would be nearly the same, but Joe Audio wants to pay less if he is getting less. Had to say it like that, because I don't know a Joe Audio that WANTS to pay more if he is getting more, lol.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Yeah I think thats weird too. Its the same with the Momo components. The 5.25 components are $300 as are the 6.5 comps.

Now the 5.25 coaxials are cheaper than the 6.5 coaxials. Go figure. :confused:
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Sadly, I can't even say I'm home......I was back to work in Indy the night I got back, and now am in Bloomington. At least I'm going to be getting home tomorrow afternoon.....

I want to say that above all else, without Mark's efforts to plan and organize this beast of a fest, meeting the folks at Polk en masse like we did wouldn't have happened. Thank you VERY much Mark, and I'm hoping Terri had a very relaxing weekend.... ;-) I appreciate all the hospitality that was displayed by all involved.....the Polk tour was incredible and the biggest items that made my pants move were the in-walls and the SR6500 car speakers.....now that I'm keeping my car, I'm DEFINITELY putting a system in.

A very cool thing to watch Matt Polk sitting on Mark's couch intently looking at and listening to his speakers......that's probably THE standout memory for me.......just the cool factor of seeing 'the guy' that created those speakers, listening to and admiring them......it was badass.

To all those that felt the need to scream me out of sleep, eff you all......(I vaguely remember lifting my head up, but couldn't be bothered to jump off the couch).

It was good to meet all of you guys/gals, and hope to again in the future...

P.S. BILL, I have your Maroon 5 cd that was put in my magazine. I can't find your screen name, so PM me so I can get your address and return it to you....
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I to will not soon forget the look on Matt`s face as he admired his work..

This is truely a man that loves audio and what he does..

If I didn`t know any better, I could swear he got a little misty...

and yet another reason I will be a Polk Audio fan and supporter for Life..!!
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Brett,

You better come eat lunch with me Tuesday, if you're back in Indy, that is.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited September 2005
    Options
    ND13 wrote:
    Brett,

You better come eat lunch with me Tuesday, if you're back in Indy, that is.
    I'm not sure how tomorrow's looking as of now Noel.......What part of Indy are you in? What time are you planning on taking lunch? I'm going to be in Bloomington for most of the morning, and hopefully NONE of the afternoon.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited September 2005
    Options
    brettw22 wrote:
    A very cool thing to watch Matt Polk sitting on Mark's couch intently looking at and listening to his speakers......that's probably THE standout memory for me.......just the cool factor of seeing 'the guy' that created those speakers, listening to and admiring them......it was badass.

Thanks for sharing that thought with us.

I'm going to replace the old image in my head of the guy sitting in a chair being blown away by sound (Memorex or Kenwood ad) with the thought of Matt listening to his SDA 2's at Mark's with a perma-grin on his face.

The greatest part of Polkfest at Mark's for me was seeing Matt being able to experience it almost like we did without being crowded or stared at. Those that controlled their urges to hump his leg deserve an honorable mention. :D
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited September 2005
    Options
    brettw22 wrote:
    I'm not sure how tomorrow's looking as of now Noel.......What part of Indy are you in? What time are you planning on taking lunch? I'm going to be in Bloomington for most of the morning, and hopefully NONE of the afternoon.

I can take lunch anytime I please. I'm on the Southeast side, Shadeland Ave.
    I can also take the afternoon off, after 1pm if I like. Call me tommorrow.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Well, it's over, 100% success and noone is dead.

We had an amazing turn out this year and the crowd was as diverse as you could possibly get it. I didn't meet, talk or see a bad apple in the entire crowd....absolutely top notch attendence. I cannot even begin to relay the thoughts and memories of this event as they are simply too numerous.

I do know that when I was tapped on the shoulder while in the large conference room at Polk HQ....and asked if I was gonna host ALL these people at my house....when I turned and actually realized how many people were there, all I could think of was "Holy Shite". I knew that it was certainly on the road to being a historical event for our forum, and it damn sure was.

Thanks everyone for making MD Polkfest a success and perhaps we'll have another HQ tour in a few years.

Get ready for SC Polkfest '06!!!
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • hedyk
    hedyk Posts: 5
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Guys and gals,

I just wanted to say thank you all for coming in to Bmore for the Fest! It was really cool to meet and hang out with all of you! Mark, you are a prince for hosting the group! Getting together with you folks only serves to remind me why I got into this business in the first place. It's fun, it's passionate, and the people are great. (it also got my dad off my back to find something resembeling a job) Plus you get to hear really cool music on really cool equipment.
    If timing works out next year, I would love to tag with Al for the next one! I hope to see you all again.
    I'm sorry this is so late---my guilt was killing me!!!!

Hedy
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Cool!

It was a pleasure meeting you as well!

Looking at mid October of '06 for the next one. Mark your calendar, The Lovely Wendi is looking forward to it!

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Philpfeif
    Philpfeif Posts: 25
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Hi Everybody
    I would like to add my praise to the list for Mark's incredible job of organization. I left the Sunday after Polkfest for the BMW CCA Oktoberfest in Greensboro, NC and I can't help but compare the two events. I was supposed to stay at the BMW event for a week but I got bored by Wednesday night and split on Thursday morning. The Polkfest was so superior in every way. I enjoyed seeing Matt Polk again after more than twenty years. I first met him at the auto shop of a friend of mine when he took the used Ferrari he and his partner bought there for service. He demoed the original SDA SRT s for me at the Polk headquarters when it was in downtown Baltimore. They blew me away then but I had just purchased a pair of Magneplanar Tympani III D's and a Carver Sonic Holograph which accomplished basically the same thing if you could set them up 6 feet in front of the wall and had the patience of Job to get the speakers set up just right. Not to mention the dimensions (4ft wide x 6 ft high by 2 inches thick.) When I moved to Hanover 12 years ago I couldn't use the Maggies any more and bought a pair of Polk RT16s, a Polk CS250 center and the small wall mount speakers that Polk sold then. They are all still part of my HT setup but the RTi6s are now the surround speakers and the SRT 2.3s are the main channels. What a sound!
    This started out to be a pat on the back for Mark and all I have done is talk about me. I am looking forward to next year’s event but it will have to be phenomenal to beat the 2005 Polkfest.
This discussion has been closed.