do these speakers make a good HT/music system?

Options
elee@ulgm.org
elee@ulgm.org Posts: 5
edited July 2002 in Speakers
I just picked up my first AV system today a bit on impulse. My budget was about $1,000 and I ended up spending about $950. I'm looking for some advice on whether the components that I purchased will sound good together, were good for the money, and were right for my needs. I plan to use if for both home theater and music (rock, female vocalists, some dance music).

Harmon Kardon AVR 125
Polk Audio RT600i for fronts
Polk Audio CSi30 center channel speaker
Polk Audio R20 speakers for rears

The HK receiver was $399. I also contemplated the Onkyo TXSR500 at $299. The RT600s were marked down to $179 each because they were floor models (full warranty still) and the CSi30 was $199. The R20s were thrown in for free through a Polk promo.

Thanks for any advice,
Ed Lee
Post edited by elee@ulgm.org on

Comments

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited July 2002
    Options
    I'd say you got a pretty good start. :)
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited July 2002
    Options
    Oh, don't forget a sub. :)
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited July 2002
    Options
    For the coins you put down you have a nice and what should be nice sounding setup. I agree with phuz.....get a sub to finish it off....
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2002
    Options
    'Sounds' like a winner....actually, a pretty damn nice 'first system'.....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited July 2002
    Options
    Congrads dude, and yes pick up a sub.
    Id use the rig for awhile and down the road you'll get upgrade fever anyway .So enjoy it while you can.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • elee@ulgm.org
    edited July 2002
    Options
    Someone told me today that my speakers don't match, particularly the RT600i and CSi30.

Thanks for any clarification,
    Ed Lee
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited July 2002
    Options
    the center speaker and you RT600i's have slightly different tweeters as do the R20's. I wouldn't get all wrapped around the axle. Enjoy.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • elee@ulgm.org
    edited July 2002
    Options
    Thanks. In the FAQ about matching center speakers, it does not list the CSi30 as compatible with the RT600i. However, on the CSi30 page, it states that it has "The same components as the rest of the Polk Audio RTi Series; they're timbre-matched for a more realistic, more seamless surround environment."

I'm pretty sure I they had the CS245i where I bought my RT600i, is it worth the trouble of exchanging the CSi30?

I think that I am going to exchange the R20 speakers. When I unpacked them, I realized how big they were going to look in the tight space on walls between my couch. I was thinking about even going with an in-wall for the surround. Any opinions on this?

Thanks,
    Ed Lee
  • Wesmo
    Wesmo Posts: 74
    edited July 2002
    Options
    I would consider trading the cs30 for the cs245i because it will match a lot better i'd assume. Yes, the page says that the 30 is matched to the RTi series, but the 600i's aren't RTi, they're simply in the RT series. I have the 600i's and used to have the 245i, and can contest that they made a pretty good match (I recently upgraded to the 400i = better and bigger sound). So if you can, trade the 30 for the 245i. As far as the surrounds go, if space is really a concern, then by all means go with an in-wall. You're most likely going to get better sound from a bookshelf though. I go with sound over looks though (I have 35i's mounted on the walls of my 10x12 bedroom). Good luck.
    wes
  • sgtnate79
    sgtnate79 Posts: 12
    edited July 2002
    Options
    Hey,

I was looking to get those R20s fpr my HT/Music system. I already have the R50s and love them.

I was curious how you like those R20s? I was looking at the polk website and the only review for the R20s isnt very good. In fact he actually says he was disappointed with Polk for putting out such a speaker.

I was just wondering what you think.

Nate

:D
    Onkyo TX DS-595
    Front: R50's
    Center:N/A (CSI 20 Soon)
    Surround:N/A (R20's Soon)
    Sub:N/A (Not Sure)
    X-Box
    Panasonic 20" (Sony 32" HDTV Soon!)
    Sanyo DVD
  • elee@ulgm.org
    edited July 2002
    Options
    I actually returned the R20 speakers without ever listening to them. It was suggested that they were not a good match for the other parts of my setup. Plus, they were too large for the space where I planned to hang them. I exchanged them for RT25i speakers as my surrounds.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help,
    Ed Lee
  • Wesmo
    edited July 2002
    Options
    I think you made a good decision on the R20/RT25i trade. I think you'll be very pleased with the 25's since they work great as surrounds.
    wes
  • elee@ulgm.org
    edited July 2002
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback wes
  • Wesmo
    edited July 2002
    Options