full-range single drivers

Options
gidrah
gidrah Posts: 3,049
edited July 2002 in Speakers
Anybody familiar with these? Anybody ever hear any? Even if you haven't heard them, but are familiar with the concept, what are your thoughts?

I'm wanting to build some Voigt Pipes, or maybe folded horns using a pair of RatShack full-rangers. Minimal $ and time investment. If they turn-out well I may consider Fostex or Lowther down the road. I hear Eminence is (has?) coming out with a new 10" full-range.
Make it Funky! :)
Post edited by gidrah on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2002
    Options
    It's a fun hobby, FR's that is....

I've got a literal 'surplus' of JBL, RS, and some OEM jobs. Fostex actually seems afforable, for some models at least. I've pondered the Voight Pipe, even the little Hawaii plans, but once again, lack of woodworking skills has left me high-and-dry, for now.

I'm looking for the part number, PE might be sold out, but I've got some extra 5.25" FR's, 4 ohm, 80-19000Hz, 15wrms, 35wmax, I could send you a couple to 'play' with if you want.... They were closeout jobs at $.95 each, so I grabbed a dozen...

Get your read on about Zobel networks, and smoothing the impedance curve of a FR driver throughout its freq response....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • gidrah
    edited July 2002
    Options
    Yeah, my woodworking skills and tools suck. That's why I'm looking at this relativily easy step into DIY. I figure a circular saw, a sheet of plywood, a bunch of caulk, and some black paint. Let's just say there won't be any mahogany Hedlund rams horns around here anytime soon.

Yeah, some Fostex are pretty inexpensive/quality. I just know that you get what you pay for and if I eff it all up, I want to be able to blaim the drivers and not be out the extra cash.

If you woulda picked up a dozen&1/2 you could've built some DIY 901s! :lol:

I had a feeling you'd be the first; if not only, reply!

You've got mail!
  • gidrah
    edited July 2002
    Options
    I've been getting my learn on the Zobels. I think I can do that. If it doesn't work, I'll just disconnect and EQ the hell out of it.
  • gidrah
    edited July 2002
    Options
    Come on guys! I welcome all replies!