Which surround speakers to match

Options
EJ
EJ Posts: 42
edited July 2002 in Troubleshooting
I presently have the RT2000p's for mains CS400 center and have been using RT10's for surround along with a single CS35i for the rear chanel. I am constructing a 15X11' (inside meas.) home theater. The designer has suggested that I go with dipoles.

This is a professionaly designed room with sound treatment etc. I would appreciate any and all opinions on which Polks would be the best match for my mains and center.

The designer had also suggested that keeping the speakers off the floor and in the walls due to the room size. It now appears that I will have to go with in-wall speakers due to room size so would really appreaciate any info I can get on these.

Thanks in advance
Regards

Emmett
Post edited by EJ on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I would think the FX/500i would be a good choice to match up with the rest of your speakers. I have a smaller room and found the the FX/300i works well for me. I like the fact that you can switch them between dipole and bipole. I run mine is bipole and the diffused surround sound is very open. Mine are about three feet above my listening sweet spot. I have mine mounted at the rear of the room.. on the side walls. with the wedge design of the speaker.. some of the sound is aimed out into the center of the room. while the rest of it is reflected off the rear wall. sounds really good to me. Other people who come over say the really like the open airy surround effect that these bipole speakers put out. Before adding these as my rears.. i had book shelf forward firing speaker... and didn't like the direct sound coming from them. I lost to much of the surround sound that way. i'm happy with my FX/300i's
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I would call Polk and If the In wall is your way to go, they can set you up with what you need to match.
    Inwalls are very nice for surround back,Sides might fall off abit,Id look into piviting tweeters,I don't know if Polks Inwalls have piviting tweeters.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited July 2002
    Options
    Hello Emmett,
    Thanks for participating in the Forum discussion. I would highly suggest considering the FXi 50 surround channel speakers, especially if they could be placed on the two side walls, in-line with the majority of the audience, about 6' off of the floor. In this position you would choose the "di-polar" setting of the selector. This type of speaker produces a very diffuse, non-directional sound pattern that can add dramatically to home theater enjoyment. I hope this is helpful information.
    Regards, Ken Swauger
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited July 2002
    Options
    if you could find some 500 fx i would go woth these befor the fx 50 i have the fx 500i as all of my surounds all 4 they are great
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited July 2002
    Options
    I too would go with an F/X of some sort over in-walls. Listen to what you can and decide within your budget. If you have to have in-wall, I'd suggest to make sure it is directional.

If you listen to much SACD or DVDA, I'd consider some *35* or *55*s.
    Make it Funky! :)