LSIs arrived this morning

Options
cookaa
cookaa Posts: 49
edited June 2002 in Speakers
My LSi15s and 9s arrived this morning, I have been waiting for over a month, can't wait till I get off work at 7 so I can set them up. Already have the LSiC, and the 15s are replacing a pair of 25 year old Heil or Hiel speakers that were my dads back in the day. My first major speaker purchase, I should just leave work early.
Post edited by cookaa on

Comments

• OrangeToupee
    OrangeToupee Posts: 488
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Damn, I would be soooo pumped up were I you; not because I think you're that great, but because you're going home to those sweeties ;>}

I'm sure you're great, too.
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Yeah, take off early. You're not doing anything anyway, right?:D

Congratulations on the purchase!
    Jason
  • LiquidSound
    LiquidSound Posts: 1,261
    edited June 2002
    Options
    That's a justified reason to leave work if I ever heard one!! Just think, they're sitting in your house right now..begging for life. :D
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's
    Sub - Spiked Velodyne Cht-8 On Spiked Landscaping Stones

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Cool! Give us the low-down once they are up and running.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2002
    Options
    How much for the Heil's? What model are they?

Curious Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • cookaa
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I don't know much about the Heils. They have a 10 inch woofer, a horn tweeter like Klipsch uses today, wood cabinet, heavy as all hell. My dad bought them back in the 70s and has had them since. They do a pretty good job, but it was time for me to get my own and upgrade.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2002
    Options
    So you sellin em or what?

Cheers,
    Jonesin' to get my spend on Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I didn't catch what color you picked......what are you going to run them with??
    Congrads man , they are very good speakers.Way worth the cost and the wait.
    I bet your listening to them as I post.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • cookaa
    edited June 2002
    Options
    3 hours till I'm done at work - (I work on a compressed shift 12 hour days - OT everyday, but only 3 or 4 days a week. So I still haven't heard them yet, thinking about them sitting at my house all boxed up though. I went with black, just so I am not limited with furniture colors and stuff later on, black goes with anything. For now the old HK 300 will have to do, but if they don't sound good enough maybe I will impulse by a 5x200 seperate amp, who knows, I am prone to impulse buy online at work when I have nothing to do.
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Cookaa,
    Let us know how it sounds with your hk 300 as I have the same receiver. I agree with your choice of color but what did you think of the cherry? I've seen the color range from light cherry to a deep almost orange appearance.
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • GZ
    GZ Posts: 343
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I applaud your commitment to your job & employer. Hell, if it were me I'd take a sick day. I couldn't get anything productive done if I had those waiting at home for me. ENJOY!!!
  • jad5
    jad5 Posts: 9
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Let us know if you get the new version of the lsi9's.
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited June 2002
    Options
    New version? Explain that one please
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • jad5
    jad5 Posts: 9
    edited June 2002
    Options
    The new version is suppose to do away with the top beveled edges and the midrange drivers will be aligned closer to the tweeter. This change was reluctantly confirmed by the people at polk. I believe this is not purely for cosmetic reasons. I have also heard that the ebony color might be made slightly darker.
  • Steve@3dai
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Interesting, very interesting.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • cookaa
    edited June 2002
    Options
    LSis Finally arrived.
    Well....
    I finally got home after waiting 7 hours at work to get the news LSis out of the box and hooked up. After opening the boxes, the first thing I noticed was the ebony color, does not look like the ebony on the web page. It is not black with greyish streeks as one is led to believe, it is black with brown wood grain streeks, not what I expected, but oh well. They are heavy as all hell, it was fun trucking them down to my basement. I finally got them all hooked up to my old HK 300, the center and 15s are bi wired with Monster 12 guage M series Biwire, the 9s used as rears are wired with IXOS 13 guage, no bi wire, I used my old Heils as temporary stands for the 9s. I popped in the Eagles Hell Freezes over DTS dvd and sat back and enjoyed. Much to my surprise, the HK 300 didn't do that bad of a job. It was definately pushed when I turned it up, but I never got to full volume, only about 80% and that was almost to loud. As this is my first real audio purchase, I will not be able to give an in depth review commenting on warmth, depth, all that crap. But I will tell you this, I like them a lot, worth every penny, the color was kind of but ugly, but the sound makes up for. I listened to the whole dvd and just enjoyed it. I would definately recomend a powered sub to compliment the 15s and provide the deep base, I had one and turned the crossover down real low to provide the real deep base. One thing I noticed, similar to the current Trouble shooting post about the LSiC, is that my **** old 27 inch panasonic tv did the same color thing, with the bi wired LSiC, under the Lower frequency driver, the tvs pictured bounced, and changed picture, which kind of pissed me off. But for now I am just enjoying the sound, after a 6 week wait between the purchase time and the receiving time, but for the prices I got, well worth the wait.

Next purchase: Power Amp, 200 X 5, when: probably an impulse buy that I can't predict at the moment.
  • Steve@3dai
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Jad, not only is it flat on the top, but on the bottom also. I have the Sanus Natural Foundations stands and the current LSi9s set a little unsteady on the pegs. (see attached pic)

Maybe I can convince Ken to let me switch out cabinents ;)
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited June 2002
    Options
    As far as the LSiC problems go, when you bi-wire em don't you have to open the box/remove the speakers? I'm thinking that when you do the bi-wiring, you are knocking something loose inside that is causing shielding problems.

Just a hunch....
  • Steve@3dai
    edited June 2002
    Options
    No, there is nothing to open up to Bi-Wire the LSiC. It's just like the LSi7/9, with two sets of binding posts.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited June 2002
    Options
    That's too bad about the beveled edges cause I think I'd like them better. Anyway, will Polk be posting "real" lsi photos ?
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I like them 2 it gives them some class or personality.....Man don't change them.
    Dan
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Maybe the change is it to "fix" the sloppy built quality.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    Options
    You know when compared to other in there price class except B&W cndnt series,they don't have that bad of built quality as I posted before.I think I expected more then they where,you know when your all juiced up on something they can be led to be better then they are.
    I would like to see the change.........I'm not exactly sure what that means .......change it straight...HOW!!!!
    Dan
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited June 2002
    Options
    How much for the Heils?
    Make it Funky! :)
  • cookaa
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Heils are not for sale. There my dads, he still wants them. Sorry