I need help choosing a sub

north51
north51 Posts: 66
edited June 2002 in Speakers
Hello,

I have a question about choosing a sub for my home theatre.

I am new to home theatre and my setup so far is:

Harman Kardan 510 receiver (85 watts/channel)
Polk 800i fronts
Polk CS 245i centre
Polk f/x 300 surrounds

I am trying to decide what size subwoofer to buy. My room is 17'x22', and haven't set the system up yet so I am open to suggestions about the setup as well.
Post edited by north51 on

Comments

• GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited June 2002
    Polk has a pretty nifty sub size calculator on this site, if you just feed it your room size and your main speakers. Of course, it'll only reccommend polk subs, so you may not want to view that as the final word.
  • north51
    edited June 2002
    Thanks guitarhead.

I checked out the sub calculator and it says I need a 450.

I read somewhere in the forum about subs that are on concrete not working well. My basement doesn't have a sub-floor and the carpet is sitting on concrete. Short of putting in a sub-floor, are there any other suggestions out there?
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited June 2002
    you need a 450 it sounds.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited June 2002
    For the price of a PSW450, you'd be better off with an HSU VTF-2 or an SVS 25-31PCi. Both will dig much deeper and play somewhat louder than the Polk.

Although in defense of Polk, I never had any issues with the way Polk subs sound - I think they sound quite good, IMHO - they just don't dig deep enough - the 450 is rated to only 35Hz - OK, but not great. You will miss some of the really deep sub-30Hz stuff on some important and popular DVDs like U571, PM, Blade, Fight Club, etc.

Subs on concrete work fine, they just don't have the benefit of the open space (i.e., basement) beneath a regular wooden floor to amplify and transmit vibrations. So you end up needing more sub than you think if you are slab on grade. Concrete is acoustically dead, though, and will not have problems with resonances that a wooden floor over an open space MIGHT have.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2002
    Well said Doc....
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dlew308
    dlew308 Posts: 530
    edited June 2002
    sonotube.
    I guess I should post my psw450 for sale :)
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited June 2002
    North51 do you work at futureshop? Just wondering cause the merchandising team by your name works there. If you do I'd check out the Velodyne subs and see if you can get them at cost!
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • north51
    edited June 2002
    Dr. Spec

Thanks for the information. I'll definitely check out some more subs before I choose one.

Begbie

I do work for North 51st in Future Shop stores. The Velodyne 15" has gone clearance, and is about $500 at cost, instead of the regular $1199 retail. 15" may be more than I need, but it is a good price.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2002
    Which Velo for $500? Man, that could be a no-brainer. Too much? NEVER.....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • begbie
    edited June 2002
    I use to work there and very happy with the velodyne cht 12" as well as a couple of other friends (bass-heads) own it and work there.
    A buddy of mine is using both x-overs and can really make the sub thump even at the smallest volume levels. Something I'm still working on to acieve the same effect ?!
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • north51
    edited June 2002
    Russ,

The sub is the Velodyne CHT-15.
  • begbie
    edited June 2002
    Employee "cost" is what we're refering to. Though some of these perks I wonder are not worth it with the amount of ignorant customers we go through each day.
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • north51
    edited June 2002
    Begbie,

The CHT-15 is actually clearance for $599 retail if anyone is looking for a great deal!
  • begbie
    edited June 2002
    Sweet. You should consider it then. Talk to the manager or go through another salesman to ask and see if you can get it lower!
    We didn't have those models for very long. Becareful though cause last years ct-15 series, we had the problem with the voice coils loosening. If you get a deal, make sure you have some warranty "packaged" with it.
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111