Problems after modding/fiddling with t-amp

michael_w
michael_w Posts: 2,813
edited September 2005 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
OK I just finished what I was hoping to be a really simple experiment with my sonic impact t-amp. I replaced the little red led with a white one that has full length leads so I could mount it on the box so that it shines through the front. I finally get the old led out and the new one in, shines very brightly and looks great. Now for the problem... after doing this I only have sound from the right channel. I've switched left and right and the problem follows the speaker. I've tried different sources -- not the source. The only thing I can think of is that when I was trying to take the old led out I go the circuit board too hot and fried something... I don't know enough about this stuff yet so if you have an idea of what I did and how to fix it (other than the obvious - buy a new one) please lemme know. BTW unfortunatly installing the original stock led is not any option anymore... it was mildly mauled in the removal process.

Thanks,
Michael
Post edited by michael_w on

Comments

• faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited September 2005
    we seem to be the only 2 on here that fool with this amp, so i'll give it a shot.. first off, I removed my led by just cutting it off the board flush.. that amp board is very delicate so i installed a led on the power output of a switch i installed on my modded amp box being i removed the stock volume/power... I actually screwed up a channel also on mine trying to re-install a volume control so i tossed it to the side in my anger, the other night i decided to fool with it and it started working again... I know this doesnt help ya but look real close and make sure you didn't solder a trace together... the volume control is real close to where the stock led is.. remove the stock led or the new one you installed and suck away all the solder off the board.. have you removed anything stock off the board? input jack? 12v power input? just make sure no solder has wondered off to another circuit or trace... and overheating could have killed the chip...
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • michael_w
    edited September 2005
    Thanks for the suggestions. I really hope I didn't fry the chip. I'll try re-soldering the led back in. The only mods I've done to this little amp other than the led is put it in a new box and replace the binding posts to some much beefier dayton ones. I don't know if it makes any difference but what channel went out for you? It was the left for me.
  • faster100
    edited September 2005
    I think mine was the right..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • michael_w
    edited September 2005
    OK I was hoping for something exactly like this. Turns out it was something extremely simple. When I pulled the board out of the box to put in the led or when I was putting it back I had not noticed that in that process one of the really thin wires that hook up the left channel to the binding posts had broken free. It works freakin dandy now, plus the white led looks cool and now I can tell if it is on or not now. (no more going to bed and leaving it on by accident)

Thanks for the advice. Time for some tunes.
  • faster100
    edited September 2005
    Cool, i got a blue led and its cool.... my external power supply with matching case has a yellow led i think... look cool at night. this amp kicks **** with small speakers.. mine is hooked to rt25i's
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • michael_w
    edited September 2005
    I'm wondering if this whole led thing was a bad idea... it's really freaking bright :p Now that I'm back at school and taking tech I might have to build myself a new box for the amp since this box isn't looking to great. This thin mahogany splinters super easily whenever you cut or drill it. I'm thinking I might put in that led or maybe a couple of them shooting through holes in the bottom so that when the amp is running you get a white aura coming from the bottom.
  • faster100
    edited September 2005
    use resisters to lower the brightness, like 330 ohm, 470 ohm is what i used.. it depends what voltage your led is though
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • michael_w
    edited September 2005
    I'll think about doing that but I think I might just do the downfiring leds in a new box. This current one looks a little half assed and I'm not sure I like the look of the big white led in the front as much as I was hoping. It would probably look better if the cheap scrap mahogany didn't splinter and chip off so much.
  • michael_w
    edited September 2005
    Just picked up a box of resistors. It's a "value package" of 150 resistors varying from 1 ohm up to 3.3m ohms for five bucks. They are 1/4 watt, 5% tolerance carbon resistors. Will these do fine? If so I might have to start playing around with the led to find a good brightness until I make a new box. I'm never going to use close to all 150 but it was cheaper than buying just exactly what I needed in the long run.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,937
    edited September 2005
    Put maskin tape on both sides of the box while drilling...

Drill to the point where you don't fully break through one side - then start to drill through the other...

When you cut, just tape it...

Shouldnt splinter at all, if any - just a little.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • michael_w
    edited September 2005
    That might help a bit and I will do that next time but this wood is so soft and brittle it even splinters on the front of the holes. The next box will be nicer and I'll put a little more effort into it :)