Need ideas to store records

madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
edited September 2005 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I've accumulated a lot of records and need a way to store them. I know how as far as being upright and not leaning but I'm lost as what to put them in.

I'm thinking if I had boxes of 12.25" square inside dimensions with one side open I could keep sitting the boxes side by side and on top of each other as the collection grows.

Anyone know of anything like this which is available commercially? What would be really cool is plexiglass cubes. Could be different colors.

Any ideas or links?

madmax
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
Post edited by madmax on

Comments

• madmax
    edited August 2005
    Here is a link to exactly what I want but I can't pay $84 each. I need about 8 of them.

http://www.plexi-craft.com/cubes.htm

madmax

• tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited August 2005
    I saw this page while browsing through Audiogon. this guy has his stored in big rubbermaid containers. They aren't pretty but they're much cheaper than the plexi-glass...

1095698365.jpg
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited August 2005
    madmax wrote:
    Here is a link to exactly what I want but I can't pay $84 each. I need about 8 of them.

http://www.plexi-craft.com/cubes.htm

madmax
    You could go down to your local Home Depot and probably bu8ild those things for like 20 bucks each...
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,699
    edited August 2005
    Polkmaniac wrote:
    You could go down to your local Home Depot and probably bu8ild those things for like 20 bucks each...

Home Depot will cut the sizes you need too. They should have sheet plexiglas and a decent silicone adhesive should work to keep them together.

IKEA has some cube/modular storage units that are bit more attractive than plexiglas cubes. Target also has cube thingys from Sauder Furniture I believe. They are all fairly cheap.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited August 2005
    milk crates work, too, if you can find 'em
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited August 2005
    I use milk crates... but most DJ's do for their records. :D
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited August 2005
    You could scour the thrifts/used office furniture stores for some older heavy duty legal size filing cabinets, take the drawers out ( they won't close with records in them). The drawers make good heavy duty boxes.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited August 2005
    You could make them out of wood. 3/4" plywood ends and 1/2" x 4" for the sides and bottoms. They would look like the old wooden crates, somewhat. Get the slats from a pallet manufacturing company. It will be roughsawn and will add that rustic look.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,341
    edited August 2005
    I liked what Ken Swauger did with his place and his massive collection of LP's. There are some pictures in the thread linked below about half way through the first page. I also just keep mine in bookcases. The shelves on mine are at least a half inch thick and they haven't sagged at all over the years.

Thread link
  • madmax
    edited August 2005
    I like Kens idea but I want something more modular.

I like the rubbermaid but those rounded edges bother me. I like the fact that they seal but that isn't too important. Still, if you stack them on top of each other it would be a hassle to get to the ones you want.

• tryrrthg
    edited August 2005
    Here is some modular furniture from Sauder Woodworking.

http://www.ezcube.info/home/default.asp

I think you should buy from Sauder! I used to work there in the summers during college, my dad still works there! Help support my old man! :D
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited August 2005
    I threw this together out of a 4'x'8 sheet of 3/4 birch plus some extra from another project for the verticals (makes it super steady). Total cost was about $55, if you call the remnants $10.

And, yes that's an elvis photo disc and Shaft in Quadraphonic.

I still need to rip some 1x2 oak to face it with (or iron on some laminate), but lemme know if you want plans. Oh, and don't trust home depot to cut your wood, I've gotten stuff that was off by about 1/2 inch.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • madmax
    edited August 2005
    Target sells sauder but they don't have any of the cubes listed on their website.

I like unc's shelves. Especially the offset panels!

madmax

• unc2701
    edited August 2005
    Yeah, I'd like to say that the offset panels were an artistic choice, but it's really because you can't nail it from the top & bottom with them lined up :D

I banged that out in about 4 hours- most of that was sanding. You'll need a router to do the joints right. I was having the same issues as you- too much vinyl and I couldn't find any decent milk crates.
  • tryrrthg
    edited August 2005
    madmax wrote:
    Target sells sauder but they don't have any of the cubes listed on their website.

I like unc's shelves. Especially the offset panels!

madmax
    They do sell them at the store. I've seen them before.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited August 2005
    http://www.the2buds.com/suboxr33.htm
    http://www.bagsunlimited.com/cart/browse.asp?subcat=14

http://www.sleevetown.com/record-storage.shtml

But you really should built them out of wood, DIY you have nothing better to do, right?
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • madmax
    edited August 2005
    I found the cubes at Target. Unless I make something I think they will do they job nicely. Tryrrthg, tell your dad he may have a job for a while longer. :)

If only they came in oak color I would already have them. I may go with black.

• egp823
    egp823 Posts: 74
    edited August 2005
    I am using this "Stacking Cube Mesh" i bought at the local Ace hardware here in the Philippines. This might also be available in the States. These sell in stacks of 2's and 3's and you can add more as your collection grows . These are interconnectible. Size is 14.5x14.5x14.5 inches. Am having problem uploading pics. If you wnat send me your email add and ill send it to you. Hope this helps
  • egp823
    egp823 Posts: 74
    edited August 2005
    Ok so pics were uploaded. Here's another pic.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,342
    edited August 2005
    If you were to ever make something out of Plexiglas, use a cement that is formulated for acrylic. This will create a chemical bond between the joints making it very strong. I've used ISP Weld On #16 cement.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • tryrrthg
    edited August 2005
    madmax wrote:
    I found the cubes at Target. Unless I make something I think they will do they job nicely. Tryrrthg, tell your dad he may have a job for a while longer. :)
    Excellent!

I can't even tell you how many times I cursed the Sauder name during the summer when I worked there in college. It was the most boring job, EVER! After college I'm just glad it existed, as it's the only furniture I could afford. My dad's discount didn't hurt either. :D
  • madmax
    edited August 2005
    I found a really big assed oak cabinent with doors at Lowes which I am considering. I think I would still have to construct shelves on the inside of it though. If I got something that big (48x72x16) I would probably make shelves for LP's, CD's, DVD's, Laserdiscs and vhs tapes. Everything neat and organized in one place. It is kinda cheaply built but looks great on the outside.
    madmax

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited August 2005
    Emlyn wrote:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Oh my word I've never seen that much media before in my life!!!!!
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • madmax
    edited September 2005
    OK!
    I finally pulled the trigger on a couple of Sauder storage cabinets for LP storage. Finally found the ones I wanted in oak color.

http://www.boscovs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductForm?defaultClickHist=Y&productId=712626&storeId=10001&langId=-1

I like this particular one because of the center support which means you don't have a long shelf to bow in the center. Also, it allows 5 rows of storage, has doors and was only $75 each! I certainly can't build anything similar for the same price.

Thanks for all the help!
    madmax

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited September 2005
    I just drive around to the back of the nearest grocery store and obtain plastic milk crates,, with the managers approval of course :D
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • madmax
    edited September 2005
    I just drive around to the back of the nearest grocery store and obtain plastic milk crates,, with the managers approval of course :D

I was a little concerned about dust so the doors are a very nice addition.

• madmax
    edited September 2005
    madmax wrote:
    OK!
    I finally pulled the trigger on a couple of Sauder storage cabinets for LP storage. Finally found the ones I wanted in oak color.

http://www.boscovs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductForm?defaultClickHist=Y&productId=712626&storeId=10001&langId=-1
    madmax

WooHoo!!!

Just went on sale for $59.99 each and found locally. Luckily they allowed me to cancel the internet order. For $125.98 I bought two so I now have storage for 1800 LP's! Of course due to weight reasons I'll only use a some of the lower shelves for LP's and will use the upper ones for VHS tapes, CD's and DVD's. This should be plenty of room for all my media!

• unc2701
    edited September 2005
    Nice! Just keep an eye on the shelves & make sure they aren't bending...
  • madmax
    edited September 2005
    I'll do that. Each shelf is only 13" wide so there is a good chance they will not sag. My main concern is the total weight on the 3 main verticals. Shouldn't be a problem since I'll spread out the heavy stuff towards the bottom.

madmax