I'm gonna try one of these...

steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,521
edited August 2005 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
Post edited by steveinaz on

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,341
    edited August 2005
    Interesting. I understand from the article that it works partly by adding dither to the retrieved signal, but that no current production transport does the same thing. I remember that Rotel used to make an excellent CD player with a limited production Philips transport that had user selectable dither settings of some sort. Maybe the guy is on to something.
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited August 2005
    It may have some merit by stabilizing the cd and reducing vibration, Also adds weight to the rotating mass possibly slowing the rotaton ever so slightly which may enhance certain artifacts. Who knows, let your ears decide. If it doesn't work it would make a great baloney separator.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited August 2005
    I've already got one (kind of) it came with my transport.

SST-TopOpen2.jpg
    SST-TopOpen.jpg

I'm not sure how well it works, but I know that my McCormack transport sounds A LOT better than using my NAD CD player as a transport.
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited August 2005
    The company's website offers two versions of this ($199 and $95) but they use the exact same description on both. WTF's the difference???
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • steveinaz
    edited August 2005
    Toxis wrote:
    The company's website offers two versions of this ($199 and $95) but they use the exact same description on both. WTF's the difference???

Read the review above, it explains the differences.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • ode
    ode Posts: 58
    edited August 2005
    Read the comments section after the review, they savaged him and said the mat was nothing but snake oil. I'd like to try it with a 30 day free in-home trial

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2928
  • ode
    ode Posts: 58
    edited August 2005
    This was buried near the end of the comments section:

It should not be more than about $1.50 to return it for a refund, if you cannot hear any difference. It is very light, and in a very thin plastic sleeve. Marigo contacted me to say that they will offer a 30 day free audition period to anyone who buys the mat. Free shipping too, both ways. Marigo is asking that anyone getting the mat to please post their findings and opinions here in this thread. Should be very interesting. I heard that Audioclowns has posted some very derogatory notes about Jason's review. That figures. The guys at the bottom always try to knock off the guys at the top.

I would bring that up if you decide to order, let us know how it worrks out.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,028
    edited August 2005
    After spending the better part of the last month or so researching/learning how cd players work. I can honestly say I have no reason to believe something like this would have any impact at all. It's impossible to alter the extraction process by using a thin material over the top of the disc. I simply don't see how this would have any affect in any way shape or form, IMO. But Steve....I say go for it if it makes sense to you, and let us know how it turns out ;)

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2005
    I've got one, maybe I should put it in the demo program. For the life of me, I can't tell a difference, with or without, in my cdps/transports.

Matter of fact, I'll email Mark, and get him to start a thread on it. I'll go ahead and add it to the demo program.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited August 2005

I'm reluctant to comment similarly because I hate to risk even the possibility of the aftertaste of crow. I'd like to at least try it, but I'm not about to spend $200. Just got engaged, and I'm not sure I can even afford internet service. Let me type quickly.

The whole issue of static and stray light doesn't seem possible or relevant to a stream of 1 and 0s, but I have to admit that the next time I have my laser equipped pistols out of the gunsafe, I am gonna check on how opaque or light absorptive a DVD really is. Not that a DVD's laser is really comparable is size, focus or power to a tactical laser.

Who wants to hold the DVD for me while I check it?

That guy's funny!

RuSsMaN - Great idea!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • steveinaz
    edited August 2005
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    I've got one, maybe I should put it in the demo program. For the life of me, I can't tell a difference, with or without, in my cdps/transports.

Matter of fact, I'll email Mark, and get him to start a thread on it. I'll go ahead and add it to the demo program.

Cheers,
    Russ

Cool!
  • audiobliss
    edited August 2005
    tryrrthg - So that's what a McCormack CDP looks like. Awesome! Never seen one before.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • tryrrthg
    edited August 2005
    audiobliss wrote:
    tryrrthg - So that's what a McCormack CDP looks like. Awesome! Never seen one before.
    Thanks, I love it. Technically it's not actually a CD player though, it's just a transport, and it's an older model. They don't make a dedicated transport anymore. www.mccormackaudio.com for the new stuff. The current McCormack audio is now owned by Conrad Johnson, just an FYI...
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • audiobliss
    edited August 2005
    Hmm. What makes it a transport instead of a CDP? Does it not have a DAC? Or something else? What's the difference?
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • tryrrthg
    edited August 2005
    audiobliss wrote:
    Hmm. What makes it a transport instead of a CDP? Does it not have a DAC? Or something else? What's the difference?
    Correct, no DAC, it's only purpose is to read the disc and send the digital signal to the outboard DAC.

More info: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_2_4/v2n4i.html
  • audiobliss
    edited August 2005
    Interesting. Thanks!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]