32" Flatscreens

Options
cookaa
cookaa Posts: 49
edited June 2002 in Electronics
I am in the market for a 32" TV. I would like to spend 1000 or less, and have been doing some research. What brands do yall recommend, I have looked at the Sony Wega and the Toshiba. I don't think I will go for HDTV at the current time, unless there is one that is priced close to a 1000. Any recomendations would be great.
Post edited by cookaa on

Comments

• begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I'd stay with the two brands you mentioned.
    Toshiba probably has a better bang for your buck but the Sony has the anamorphic squeeze. Tough choice but with either one you can't go wrong.
    Better yet, see if you can get a deal on a widescreen tube such as the Toshiba 34h81!
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited June 2002
    Options
    If you go with the Sony make sure you get a FV series and not the FS. Huge difference in picture quality. I think the FV runs about $1200/1300.00. If you want a awesome picture check out the Sony XBR series.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• etrigan
    etrigan Posts: 160
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I agree with beg and f1 on all points mentioned -
    you might want to check out the Toshiba cinema series hd model
    32hfx71 - I have the 36 and love it :D
    They are also being discontinue at the present,so u might get some good prices.
    Research as much as poss. and good luck,have fun :D :cool:

CHEERS! jefff
    Art as expression-Not as market campaigns-Will still capture our imaginations.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited June 2002
    Options
    TOSHIBA, Magnavox, Sony...ERRR NOT SONY! SONY SUCKS!, umm sharp... I would choose between toshiba and magnavox, and a toshiba 2.4 gigahurt phone is good too...toshiba is good...LOL!
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Milliseconds of genius.... What about JVC, I hear they make a good boom-box with built in subs?

;)

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • izafar
    izafar Posts: 814
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I would suggest Sony KV32FV300. It is the newset model and top of line on FV series. Can be had around 1190 at Circuit City.

I have KV32FV26 (prior year model) and am very happy with its anam0rphic squeeze and wireless headphone.
    -izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
  • SPEAKER7
    SPEAKER7 Posts: 355
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I purchased the Toshiba 36HFX71 about 3.5 months ago and I'm still having fun watching tv/DVD'S........I was going to get the Sony 36 WEGA XBR but instead bought the Toshiba.......it was about 1000.00 cheaper ......but the Sony did look a bit better but keeping the extra 1000.00 to buy DVD'S was worth the saving.

dc.:lol:
  • etrigan
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Hello :D

Don't know, I felt the opposite - yes it was cheaper, both have the squeeze (and sim. features) but in a side by side comparison - the Tosh. looked better 2 me.
    (now even more so w/the Avia disc as a guide) :cool:

I feel Sony is way overpriced - but have owned many, many of their products (still do) -
    just never a monitor.

CHEERS! jefff
  • begbie
    edited June 2002
    Options
    etrigan,

Only the high-definition Toshibas have the squeeze and not the analog. All Sony sets 27" and up have the squeeze.
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • cookaa
    cookaa Posts: 49
    edited June 2002
    Options
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited June 2002
    Options
    This is how it is,
    Sony makes the best tubes on the market (except Lowve and who can afford there sets).They always have,Mitsubishi tried to give them a run for there money but in the end couldn't hang with Sony Picture tubes.
    Other sets are good as well,Sony is the Leader and everything else follows.Ever notice all the silver and Wega looking Tv'''s on the market now??Trying to be like Sony.
    Don't take this post the wrong way,theres the I like this set better factor,and i can't afford Sony,but the Toshiba is nice for alot less money,Again....I will have to say this at the end of this post as a Hobbiest.......I have found Sony to lead the pack, they last a long time spend about no time in the repair shop,look fantastic,and you get all your money out of them,sure you pay more, but you get more.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • F1nut
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by mantis
    I have found Sony to lead the pack, they last a long time spend about no time in the repair shop,look fantastic,and you get all your money out of them,sure you pay more, but you get more.

Ya'll listen to da man.......more is better!!!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• begbie
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Mantis, I've worked in a/v sales for sometime and I've seen my share of Sony sets come back for repair. I've heard my share of Sony horror stories from customers and I'll get those who will never buy a Sony because they're overpriced.
    Not that they are any worse than Toshiba , Panasonic, etc. but they've been equally proportionate in repairs/dissatisfaction to other major brands.
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • etrigan
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Beg, the 36hfx71 is a hi def ready set, it just doesn't have the tuner built in-
    it has 3 settings for image shape (normal/letterbox/compression)
    compression being their word for "the squeeze"
    just like they call their component connections "colorstream hd"

CHEERS! jefff
  • begbie
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Etrigan, I never meant it had an HD tuner built-in but if you want to be technical then yes that's the correct terminolgy . I was assuming most people knew most sets do not have the HD tuner built-in and buying one with it would be premature.
    The "squeeze" in layman's terms simply means taking advantage of the added resolution an anamorphic dvd has. You place your dvd player in widescreen mode on your 4:3 set, the picture will be vertically stretched but then "squeezed" back into its proper
    proportion but with added resolution.
    Still i think Cookaa should wait and invest in a widescreen tube.
    The Toshiba 34" is really cleaning up in this market (and rightfully so) but wait for Sony,Panasonic,JVC to come out with one at lower price points and take a piece of Toshiba's pie (most new models start coming out for the 4th quarter of the year).
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • SBains
    SBains Posts: 1
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Hi,
    You should consider the Panasonic 32" Super Flat Screen CT-32SF37.

I own this set with 800 lines of resolution, temp settings, component video inputs, s-video and multi remote that lights up, great set. Equal to Wega and much lower priced.

Other Features:
    * Type: Stereo color TV with Panasonic's SuperFlat system picture tube
    * Aspect ratio: Standard 4:3
    * Picture tube: Flat, fine pitch with shadow mask
    * 3-line digital comb filter
    * Dual-tuner picture-in-picture
    * High-quality resolution and color accuracy with edge correction
    * Built-in speakers: 2, front (10 watts x 2)
    * Speaker type: Twin dome
    * Simulated surround processing: Spatializer
    * Sound controls: Bass, treble, and balance controls
    * Auto sound control: Yes, with artificial intelligence
    * Component-video inputs: Yes (Y/Pr/Pb)
    * Audio-video inputs: 4 (1 in front, 3 in rear)
    * S-Video inputs: Yes
    * Audio processor simulates 3-D surround sound
    * Illuminated universal remote control with joystick

Try http://www.mysimon.com to compare pricing.

Bought mine from http://www.amazon.com when they offered free white glove shipping plus no sales tax!

You will enjoy it, like I am doing ....

Regards,
    SBains

:cool:
  • plem
    plem Posts: 30
    edited June 2002
    Options
    um.... sbains, that model (ct-32sf37)is called the "gaoo" and is not considered a true flat screen anymore. Heck, it's probably not in production for their 2002 line. Panasonics best tubes are now called "tau" which are not bad but I find their temperature settings lean toward green too much. Horrible "wrist watch" menu on the gaoos and no preference settings.
  • rlightfoot
    rlightfoot Posts: 87
    edited June 2002
    Options
    My question is: is there any reason to wait 6 mos or a yr, when either: 1)some current "must-have" technology that is over-priced now, drops in price or 2) aome "on the horizon" technology kicks in, in the marketplace?
    "I want to change my username to Gordo, but Club Polk won't let me"
  • cruiser3
    cruiser3 Posts: 47
    edited June 2002
    Options
    rlightfoot.....Good point. If you always waited for the latest you would never buy anything....*L*
    Onkyo 696 receiver, Panasonic DVD RV31U,Polk RM6600 w/ 350 sub (rti28's 2nd zone), JVC Dual tape deck, MMF-2.1 Turntable, JVC 5010 CD R. ((its simple, its cheap, it works))
  • plem
    plem Posts: 30
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Like Dvi or firewire? Plasma or Lcd? Lcos or Dlp? High definition dvd ? Dvd-audio or SACD ? Rti or Lsi speakers? etc. etc...You can't stay on top of it all !?

If you've done the research and it meets your price than go for it and don't look back. : )
  • CapnWacky
    CapnWacky Posts: 2
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Panasonic Tao -- better contrast that the Wega's without the wega orange tint. I've only compared their HDTVs, though. Not sure about the others.
  • ChrisDurano
    ChrisDurano Posts: 372
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I have the "FS" model 32" and I think its great. Sony rep told me there is no picture quality difference between "FS" and "FV." You do get a 2 tuner picture in picture with the "FV" models however. But that doesn't improve picture quality, just makes it more susceptible to going out on you.
    Home Speakers polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired), CSi30, FX3000i, PSW250

Car speakers polkaudio EX 369, DB 650
  • F1nut
    edited June 2002
    Options
    um...ChrisDurano, that Sony rep doesn't know his products very well. The FV has a 3D digital comb filter vs. the FS's 3 line comb filter. The FV also has Velocity Modulation Scan with off/low/high settings, it has Color Temperature Control and the Enhanced 16:9 format that the FS does not. Huge difference. The statement that having PIP makes it more likely to "going out" is ludicrous!

President of Club Polk

• begbie
    edited June 2002
    Options
    After selling the Sony Wegas for some time I would say that the FV line-up is only MARGINALLY better in picture quality over the FS.
    You'll only see improvements in small areas of a scene at a certain time and that's if you're comparing them side by side. It's definitely not night and day.
    FS models also have the color tempeature control and enhanced 16:9 compression. Velocity scan settings don't greatly improve the picture. In fact it sometimes degrades it if you don't choose the right setting.
    The Fv series is still a great set only if you can get a good price.
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • ChrisDurano
    ChrisDurano Posts: 372
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Hey F1nut...I have all those features w/ mine (velocity scan, color temp, and 16:9 enhanced), and remember this guy is looking for a 32". Which Sony has 3D digital comb filters in 32"?
    Home Speakers polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired), CSi30, FX3000i, PSW250

Car speakers polkaudio EX 369, DB 650
  • begbie
    edited June 2002
    Options
    That's the thing about "free advice"- sometimes it's accurate and sometimes it's not.

You get what you pay for.:cool:
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • F1nut
    edited June 2002
    Options
    um...ChrisDurano & begbie, you are right. I was looking at some Sony info that is apparently out of date, sorry about that. I looked up Sony's website, www.sony.com/wega and it seems all 32's have 3D digital comb filters now. They also have all the other stuff too. The difference between the FV & FS seems to be very little.

All the best,
    F1nut

President of Club Polk