Projector Isolation

rscamer
rscamer Posts: 70
edited August 2005 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Anyone have any Ideas on how I can isolate my projector from my bass vibrations? I have a z2 ceiling mounted I have the brackets screwed in to the beam with some dense foam between the bracket and the ceiling, but at higher volumes my projector shakes.(I am worried this may harm my projector) any Ideas would be appreciated.
Post edited by rscamer on

Comments

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2005
    Are you sure it's not your screen?

You could find automotive transmission mounts and use them to mount your projector. The particular ones I'm thinking of are a rubber block about 1" wide x 3" long x 1" thick with a stud sticking out of each side. That would isolate the projector from the mounting location. The weight of the projector should keep it from vibrating unless it is one of the very light weight units.

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited August 2005
    What type of screen and projector do you have?
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited August 2005
    It sounds that you don't have a strong enough projector mount or poor ceiling bracing. You should be looking for a tight fit onto a well braced ceiling stud to reduce vibrations, not trying to float the pj in midair. Give us a little more description of your bass system. I run 2 ported 12" subs tuned to 17 hz with over 300 watts and never have pj jitter except when someone walked above the pj in my basement install.

Try more bracing, I bet your projector is acting like it is on the end of a whip being popped and I would think that your ceiling is moving less than the pj.

Think of why some people use vibration reducing feet on turntables while others simply use wall mounted shelves. 2 different approaches.

Just my .02,

DG
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • rscamer
    edited August 2005
    I have a paradigm servo 15 in one corner and a velo 10 in another my ceiling is a custom arched (hard to discribe ) but I am not in an actual floor joist but a secondary beam running the length of my room. The mount is made of 4" pipe flang at each end with 6" of pipe threaded between the two.
    The projector is a boxlight 2hd (sanyo z2). I will have to pay attention to the whip idea to see if the projector moves seperate from the ceiling.(this is somthing I never thought about)I know my screen is not moving it is a daylight mounted directly to the wall (screen is actually on the drywall and the frame is built around it)
  • rscamer
    edited August 2005
    Thanks for the help I made all the braces tighter and removed my isolation material and it seems to have worked! :)
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited August 2005
    Glad you got some results, since front projection can be so rewarding to watch. I will probably have a FP or RP setup for years to come. My goal when building an HT in my next home will be to go "Rear" projection, to eliminate fan noise and walking through the projection field. The screen will be more cost, but the end effect is too cool. :D
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable