10 B - Blown tweeter?

ddelcore
ddelcore Posts: 11
edited August 2005 in Vintage Speakers
After many years in storage I retrieved my 10B's and set them up. One of the tweeters appears to be blown. I believe it is a sl1000. It has the metal plate, the clear dome, and the wires at a 45 degree angle. It is hard to tell but it looks like there is a small hole in the center of the tweeter dome.

How can I be sure the tweeter is the problem?

From reading the posts it looks like the tweeter is no longer made. What are the options for replacements?

~ddelcore
Post edited by ddelcore on

Comments

• jtgranby
    jtgranby Posts: 887
    edited May 2005
    Switch the other tweeter and see if it works. If thats your problem look on ebay. Some people have replaced with the new replacement tweeter but it's not a drop in and you will need to be handy with a router. Search some more on this forum plenty of theads about this problem.
    Good Luck
    JT
  • ddelcore
    edited May 2005
    I switched the tweeter and it is now obvious that it is bad. Is ebay the only source for a correct replacement?
  • jtgranby
    jtgranby Posts: 887
    edited May 2005
    Post a WTB thread in the flea market. Maybe someone has on laying around. Good Luck
    JT
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited June 2005
    Definitely go on eBay and pick up the SL-2000 tweeters. The difference is wonderful. The crossovers have no issues with the newer tweeter.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited June 2005
    Sorry, the SL2000's are far from wonderful. Nasty 5dB spike around 12-13kHz.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• markmarc
    edited June 2005
    Never heard the spike with my equipment.
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
  • fredv
    fredv Posts: 923
    edited June 2005
    I had a Monitor 10A which has the peerless tweeter. One went south 2 months ago. I bought a pair of SL2000 from ebay for $40. After 2 days, I put the 10A aside. Thanks to a fellow Polk Expert here kindly sold me a peerless tweeter to bring the 10A back to life. I am not sure your sl1000 is the metalic type (Polk made) or the black peerless sl1000. If it is the later, then just be patient, they do show up in ebay. It is worth the wait. If you do have the Polk made sl1000, then I don't have any opinion as I never listen to it ;)

-fredv-
  • F1nut
    edited June 2005
    Originally posted by markmarc
    Never heard the spike with my equipment.

Well, what can I say? It's a well documented fact that it has a nasty spike, which can make ears bleed. Maybe you like it harsh sounding, maybe your gear isn't up to par, maybe your hearing isn't good at the top end, maybe.........who knows. I'll tell you this, since Polk came out with the new silk dome replacement, they can't keep the damn things in stock. So, what's that tell you, eh?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited June 2005
    Originally posted by ddelcore
    After many years in storage I retrieved my 10B's and set them up. One of the tweeters appears to be blown. I believe it is a sl1000. It has the metal plate, the clear dome, and the wires at a 45 degree angle. It is hard to tell but it looks like there is a small hole in the center of the tweeter dome.

How can I be sure the tweeter is the problem?

From reading the posts it looks like the tweeter is no longer made. What are the options for replacements?

~ddelcore

post a picture of your blown tweeter. so we can see it.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • markmarc
    edited June 2005
    Are you always this humble "nut"??? I should have said the SL-1000 (clear dome, if memory serves some 15 years since I owned my 10B's). A very smooth tweeter. Since then, a few individuals such as yourself have been able to experiment with newer items. I went on my experience.
    2 Ch. System
  • F1nut
    edited June 2005
    Hmmmm........since I'm feeling humble today, thanks for correcting yourself.

President of Club Polk

• ddelcore
    edited June 2005
    Anyway,

I would still like to replace my blown tweeter. It is an SL1000.

~Don
  • ddelcore
    edited August 2005
    Still looking for a sl-1000. Any ideas out there?
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited August 2005
    you still haven't found one? I wonder if there is a replacement tweeter for that? if you can't find one of those SL1000's
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • ddelcore
    edited August 2005
    I have been looking on ebay from time to time. I have my 7's to listen to in the mean time. The 10's do sound much better though.
  • fredv
    fredv Posts: 923
    edited August 2005
    I am not sure how much sonic difference between the 10A's peerless tweeter and the Polk SL-1000, but it is the same size. If it is low enough, maybe you can try bidding it:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1-Peerless-Polk-Cloth-Dome-Tweeter_W0QQitemZ5799009130QQcategoryZ71572QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The peerless is more superior than the Polk SL-1000 in most's opinion. Maybe you can try getting 2 of these, something worth to consider.

-fredv-
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited August 2005
    markmarc wrote:
    Are you always this humble "nut"???

The condition is persistent.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac