Warped Grill Frame SDA SRS2

Options
Roy Munson
Roy Munson Posts: 886
edited August 2005 in Vintage Speakers
Tonight I stumbled onto a pair of SDA SRS2 speakers that are said to be in great shape except for one grill frame is warped. I'm going to check them out in the morning and I was wondering if anyone has experienced this and is there a fix?

If they are in great shape except for the warped grill what should I offer for them?

If anyone has been able to repair a warped grill frame I would like to know how to fix it.

Thanks!
2 Channel:
Amp/Parasound Halo A23
Pre/Carver C-1
Tuner/Carver TX-11a
CDP/Jolida JD 100A
Turntable/AR XB-Shure V15 III
Post edited by Roy Munson on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    edited August 2005
    Options
    The grill frame is made from a crushed fiberboard like material which is not going to warp in a way that can be easily fixed. Most likely it got wet and when it dried, it twisted. Wetting it again and then clamping it in a flat position may fix and it may not. Roll of the dice. You could always have a new one made if all else fails.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Roy Munson
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Thanks F1, I've really wanted a pair of these or 1c's for a long time. If all goes as planed I will probably buy them unless there are other problems that he didn't tell me about. I'm just not sure what I should offer him due to the grill being warped. :confused:
    2 Channel:
    Amp/Parasound Halo A23
    Pre/Carver C-1
    Tuner/Carver TX-11a
    CDP/Jolida JD 100A
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    edited August 2005
    Options
    IMO, you gotta knock off at least a $100 from his asking price.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I agree with F1.

Maybe figure the worst; you have to have a new grille made. Maybe you won't be able to salvage the grille cloth and won't be able to find a matching fabric so you have to recloth both grilles so they match. So figure $100-$150 off what you would spend for a pair in nice shape that didn't need anything.

I have no idea what SRS 2's are worth other than what I have seen or heard them sell for since I joined CP. Of the last three auctions on Ebay for SRS 2's, two didn't meet reserve and one was removed by Ebay. The seller I contacted in Wisconsin had a $750 reserve but would take $650. I am waiting for a reply from a local fellow that was asking $600 to see if they are still available. The average I have seen/read/heard them sell for is $535.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Roy Munson
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Thanks guys, I'll keep that in mind!
    2 Channel:
    Amp/Parasound Halo A23
    Pre/Carver C-1
    Tuner/Carver TX-11a
    CDP/Jolida JD 100A
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Jesse hit the nail on the head.
    They have to be re-wetted and clamped or weighted.
    I've used dumbells strategically placed. It can be done.

-Luc
  • Roy Munson
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Well, I just got back from taking a look a the speakers and the good news is that the grill frame isn't warped! The side panel has come loose in the middle and bows out, it just needs to be completely removed and reglued. The bad news is the drivers are very dirty and a couple are filthy...I'm not sure if they would clean up! Overall the cabinets are dirty but I think they would clean up OK, but these look like they may have been sitting outside or in a garage and as some here would say they look like they were road hard and put up wet!

The speakers are at a local pawn shop about 6 miles from me, they were asking $600.00 for the speakers and since I don't own a truck they said they would deliver them to me for that price. I offered $450.00 delivered and they turned it down saying they would take $550.00 delivered but I said no.

As much as I would have liked to have had them I was afraid that they would require more work than they were worth to fix them up. They probably would clean up but I wasn't sure.

I'll just have to be content listening to my 2a second eds until I can find a pair of 1c's or SDA SRS 2's that are local to me.

If anyone is interested in the speakers they are located in Stanton Ca. 10330 Beach Blvd. I don't remember the name of the shop. Phone number 714 827-9796
    2 Channel:
    Amp/Parasound Halo A23
    Pre/Carver C-1
    Tuner/Carver TX-11a
    CDP/Jolida JD 100A
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Roy Munson wrote:
    The side panel has come loose in the middle and bows out, it just needs to be completely removed and reglued.

I would have walked away from $550 in that condition too.

Side panel removal on an SRS 2 can be a miserable job. The side panels are only 1/4" thick pressboard and can break or pull apart easily despite carefully attempting to remove them. I was able to salvage two side panels on my SRS 2's when I reclothed them, but had to make two panels for the ones that cracked/broke. See the thread here.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Roy-

I will have a pair of 1C's for sale by the end of the week.
    I'll list them in the flea market, with some pictures.
    Sound perfect, cosmetically I would rate them 7-ish.
    No cable.
    priced $450.00

-Luc

Roy Munson wrote:
    I'll just have to be content listening to my 2a second eds until I can find a pair of 1c's or SDA SRS 2's that are local to me.