PSW250 Auto On/Off?

Options
nvisser
nvisser Posts: 2
edited September 2001 in Technical/Setup
I recently upgraded my system (stereo) to RT35i, RT25i, & PSW250 hooked up to a Harman Kardon 3370 Receiver. Wow, wow, wow!!

Anyway, the PSW250 has an auto on/off feature. The green LED on the back stays on all the time and the amp feels slightly warm (even when the system is off). Is that normal? Is it really turning off?

The HK 3370 has two power switches: Main on/off and standby on/off (allows on/off via remote). I have just been using the standby switch.

If this is a symptom of "standby mode," then would it be a bad thing to plug the PSW250 in to a switched outlet on the receiver?

Thanks in advance.
Post edited by nvisser on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Hello,
    Thanks for contributing to the Forum. It is probably best to not plug the sub-woofer's AC power cord into the receiver's AC outlets. It might draw too much current through the receiver's on/off switch and could damage it. The sub-woofer should be plugged into your wall AC outlet (or a suitable AC line filter/surge protector). Make sure the auto on/off selector is set to the "auto" position (the middle of the three position toggle switch). The LED should be red during standby operation (about 15 minutes after no signal is given to the unit) and then turn green whenever a signal is present.
    I hope this is helpful information.
    Best regards, Ken Swauger
  • nvisser
    nvisser Posts: 2
    edited September 2001
    Options
    The LED on my PSW250 stays green all the time.

The switch is three-position,huh? I will double-check that. Might be set to the top ("On"?). In my biz we have an acronym for this case: RTFM (Read The ...).

Otherwise, I suspect it is because the receiver is in "standby mode." I will also try the main power on/off.

I bet one of those will make the LED on the PSW250 go red automatically.

It seemed to me that powering the sub through the receiver was a BAD idea. You confirmed that. I have not done (and will not do) that.

Anyway, thanks!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited September 2001
    Options
    You're welcome, glad to be of help. Yes, the upper position of the toggle switch would be "on" the LED would remain red and not cycle.
    Take care, Ken