Sda 2 problems

keith allen
keith allen Posts: 734
edited August 2005 in Vintage Speakers
Got my sda 2's tonight...dont sound very good,3 drivers 2 tweets.The inside driver and tweet doesnt seem to be workin,doesnt sound any different if the interconnect is hooked up or not...I know there is a common explanation for this....input man....input!
Post edited by keith allen on

Comments

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited August 2005
    Clean off the IC terminals and see if it's just a bad connection. They don't make a lot of sound, btw, not like the outers
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • keith allen
    edited August 2005
    Didnt help...proxy switch...I think thats what ya call it?Or could it be the sda fuse?
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited August 2005
    Pull the radiator and make sure the crossover is intact and all the wires are connected.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited August 2005
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• keith allen
    edited August 2005
    Maybe its just the inside tweets,seems to be a bit of a buzz on the inside drivers,not as strong as the outside's for sure.I did pull out one of the xovers...didnt see any fuses...what gives...thanx NUT and company...I know its late!
  • keith allen
    edited August 2005
    F1nut wrote:
    Could it be a bad interconnect?They sound no different with the interconnect plugged in or unplugged.Dont think Im getting the sda effect.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited August 2005
    I forgot, you're the putz that posted this stinking pile.........

"I think not,I listen to good audio as long as youve eaten your moldy cheese,drinked your cheap merlot,and put your(you know it all,your better than I) **** nose in the air.Im sure youve own better gear than I ever will,does that make you an expert...NO...HELL NO,what you like is not what everybody else likes,and I never ever said this was great gear,I said it made a huge difference when a good amp was added,oops its not a good amp,you said so...right.I hate hear bashing like this because this is the best my neighbor will ever have,and he's as proud of it as you are with gear,just because you have tons more money in your gear,doesnt mean the rest of us has junk!I'll say it,you are a piece of #$%^ sir,so put that in your mahaganey pipe smoke it...Im sure you have one!"

BTW, it's mahogany.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• keith allen
    edited August 2005
    ok shoot...thats puuuTTZZZ I think,get over it,help me out here,that started out no more than tongue and cheek and got carried away.Theres a war going on ya know,so drop the grudge,dont sweat the small stuff,and before ya point out all my bad spelling,remember,I raised in a barn,not on a farm...
  • keith allen
    edited August 2005
    Got em workin....
  • ND13
    edited August 2005
    What got them to work?
  • keith allen
    edited August 2005
    It wasnt in the speakes at all,used the wire off my existing 2 channel rig,which was old and brittle,when I started moving the cable around,it shorted out,only the sda side was working...new cable,and wahla....everything works.Sounds good too,but not what I was expecting,I honestly dont hear a big difference with or without the IC.But they do sound good,no sub needed thats for sure,and they are 20 years old also,I was expecting them to just blow me away,like when I first heard my maggies.Of course I need to listen to them more,maybe they'll grow on me.
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited August 2005
    Sound quality:
    Old SDAs for sure, made in '84-'85. Could be time for some updates...

Not much difference with SDA hooked up or not:
    Doesn't sound right to me. Should be quite a bit of difference. Sure they're working properly? Are they postioned correctly? SDAs shouldn't be toed in, where non-SDAs should be. So, with the SDA soundstage being created without toe-in the soundstage should suffer miserably when unhooked where as standard speakers rely on toe-in to create a good soundstage.
  • keith allen
    edited August 2005
    Then something isnt right,I have them squared to a wall,I talked to polk,they told me how to test the sda effect,and they checked out,but Ive been listening to them all morning and there isnt any difference with the IC connected,so something is not working...ideas?
  • BobMcG
    edited August 2005
    I don't have a pair of the first generation SDAs to compare against the second generation's SDA abilititys so I can't go that route and I'm going to take it for granted that the SDA IC is ok(?) and ask:

How much breathing room do the speakers have from their outer sides to the nearest side walls? They really need AT LEAST three feet bare minimum. Double that is much better for SDAs to really show what kind of soundstage they are capable of presenting.

And just as a general reminder:

The amount of clear breathing room speakers have out from their inside edges is important too as of course all speakers radiate 360* not just out the front. It's the reason the sound changes according to how close a speaker is placed toward the front wall. The closer to the wall the more the radiating sound is compressed affecting the bass response. It's much the same with inner and outer sides spacing. The more room there is the less compressed and congested the soundstage will be.

What kind of music are you listening to. I mean some music is more SDA active (for lack of a better description at the moment) and some less to be sure but I just find it hard to believe there is "SDA dead" music out there.
  • keith allen
    edited August 2005
    Thanx bob,placement may be my problem,ill get a pic up tomorrow,if ya dont mind tell what ya think,i talk to polk,they told me how to check the ic/sda effect,it checked put...working.I bet place ment is my problem,sounds like they need a dedicated area...not what i have.
  • BobMcG
    edited August 2005
    I'll be out of touch for a few days but I'm sure there are others out there that will give you some more input on this. I'll check in later in the week.
  • keith allen
    edited August 2005
    Bad placement Im sure
  • keith allen
    edited August 2005
    Problems no more,been playing with them most of the afternoon (placement)they are really coming alive.Ive also noticed that thy're not made for all music either,a few of my cd's sound dull,but most of them are really working!
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited August 2005
    Nice!

I acquired a pair of SDA-2s about two months ago. Love 'em!! Is that a bong on your dresser?
    Carl

• keith allen
    edited August 2005
    schwarcw wrote:
    Nice!

I acquired a pair of SDA-2s about two months ago. Love 'em!! Is that a bong on your dresser?
    OOOPS :rolleyes:
  • ND13
    edited August 2005
    :eek:
    schwarcw wrote:
    Nice!
    Is that a bong on your dresser?

:eek: ;) :cool: :p:D :eek: ;):p :cool: :D :eek: ;):p:D :cool: :D :cool: :p