New Tweeter Day

SCompRacer
SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
edited August 2005 in Vintage Speakers
Got these RD0194 replacements for the SL2000's in my SRS 2's today. Ordered Monday from Helen, here Friday. I like the service.

Is it true that after installing replacement tweeters, burn in must be uninterrupted and continuous with a variety of music? So maybe I shouldn't go in to work tonight? :D

I thought I was starting to like the brightness of the silver domes, but I was wrong. Caps and resistors next.
Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
Post edited by SCompRacer on

Comments

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2005
    The RDO's do take a little time to break in. Yes, you should stay home to vary the type of music. (I did when I got mine. :))
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited August 2005
    ;):D Make yourself a mix CD and put cd player on repeat and go to work so you can keep the cash flow going so that you can continue with the upgraditus
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited August 2005
    ND13 wrote:
    ;):D Make yourself a mix CD and put cd player on repeat and go to work so you can keep the cash flow going so that you can continue with the upgraditus

Best idea of all! :D
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited August 2005
    Hi Cathy. How ya been lately?
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • SCompRacer
    edited August 2005
    ND13 wrote:

Hey, there ain't no instant gratification in that!! ;)

What I need to do is have the MIL walk the dog so's I can give em some serious juju from the TFM-35's in bridged mono. Kinda like seating rings in a fresh motor, occasional blasts of acceleration before coasting.:D
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited August 2005
    ND13 wrote:
    Hi Cathy. How ya been lately?

Hi Noel! Been fine, getting excited about about the PolkFest! I get to see my brother & talk audio all at the same time. It doesn't get much better than that!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited August 2005
    ....This is the perfect excuse to buy yourself a 300-400 CD changer and just let it ride.
    I love mine.

-Luc

ND13 wrote:
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited August 2005
    SCompRacer wrote:
    Hey, there ain't no instant gratification in that!! ;)

What I need to do is have the MIL walk the dog so's I can give em some serious juju from the TFM-35's in bridged mono. Kinda like seating rings in a fresh motor, occasional blasts of acceleration before coasting.:D

Can you explain in detail how you are running your tfm-35 in mono? Do you have the modified IC? I have a couple tfm-45's that I would like to try running mono with my sda's

Thanks
  • SCompRacer
    edited August 2005
    Can you explain in detail how you are running your tfm-35 in mono? Do you have the modified IC? I have a couple tfm-45's that I would like to try running mono with my sda's

Thanks

The TFM-35/35X has a stereo/mono switch on the back panel. (If a slide switch lock is present, loosen the lock screws to slide the switch to the desired position). I haven't seen the back of a TFM-45 though I'd like to get my hands on one. The 45 and 55 have the true transfer function while I was told the TFM-35/35X, 45X and 55X do not.

In mono, connect the R & L pre amp outputs to the left channel input of each amp. Connect the R & L speaker wires to the red positive terminals on each amp; speaker positive to the left positive and speaker negative to the right positive.

If it applies to your SDA speakers, swap out the standard SDA interconnect for the non-common ground amplifier interface and rock on. :cool:

EDIT: Add scanned bridged mono page from TFM-35X manual.
  • candyliquor35m
    edited August 2005
    Do you have the non-common ground IC?
  • SCompRacer
    edited August 2005
    Do you have the non-common ground IC?

Yes I do. The guy I bought the SDA's from had everything but the boxes but was missing one foot. I got a replacement from Polk.

EDIT: If you need to make one, follow the link to the instructions from this page. This is off of forum member polksda's site. http://www.polksda.com/links.shtml Look under Publications, A1 interconnect.
  • candyliquor35m
    edited August 2005
    Thanks but my SDA's are too early for the A1IC according to the chart so I am still bi-amping my tfm 45 and 42 which are sonically the same amp except the 45 has a meter and the 42 has a led I guess you would call it. I thought maybe you were connecting the negative speakers post that I've heard about but both Polk and Carver say would not accomplish a common ground.
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited August 2005
    .....if so, we'd like to see a picture of those little black beauties. :)

Mine should be here by Wed. or so.

-Luc
  • SCompRacer
    edited August 2005
    Out with the old....and in with the new. Did it that Friday and burned a vaca day listening to tunes. I been working too hard.

I picked up a used Bello audio rack off of craigslist for a reasonable price so now my stuff is off the floor. Much easier to play CD's now....