sda placement

Options
sda2mike
sda2mike Posts: 3,131
edited August 2005 in Vintage Speakers
while my wifey has my listening room torn down for painting....she's gotta have her projects :p ..i was contemplating a better placement for the sda2's...after learning here that a straight forward position is best...it is...i've also heard that they should be against that wall...what if my speakers stand next to my wall unit, which is deeper, by about maybe 12 inches...if against the wall, will i lose something? or, should i just tell the wife to hurry the hell up, so's i can get my listen on!! :mad: ;)
Post edited by sda2mike on

Comments

• trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Against the wall, getting it on, 12 inches deeper, wifey, wet paint?
    You kinky man, but hey....... :D

Yes, tell her to get her paint on, but be charming about it, or you might end up holding a brush instead of the remote.

-Luc

sda2mike wrote:
    while my wifey has my listening room torn down for painting....she's gotta have her projects :p ..i was contemplating a better placement for the sda2's...after learning here that a straight forward position is best...it is...i've also heard that they should be against that wall...what if my speakers stand next to my wall unit, which is deeper, by about maybe 12 inches...if against the wall, will i lose something? or, should i just tell the wife to hurry the hell up, so's i can get my listen on!! :mad: ;)
  • sda2mike
    edited August 2005
    Options
    trubluluc wrote:
    Against the wall, getting it on, 12 inches deeper, wifey, wet paint?
    You kinky man, but hey....... :D

Yes, tell her to get her paint on, but be charming about it, or you might end up holding a brush instead of the remote.

-Luc

or somethin' else, even :eek: no, she's a good girl..she know's i love my sda's as much as her :D
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited August 2005
    Options
    They don't have to be against the wall at all and probably are better off not being that close to the wall. You could put them a foot or a foot and half out easily. In your situation you are better off being out at least 12" to 14".
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Mike you should play with placement.
    Closer to the back wall means more base, farther from the back wall can bring out more separation and detail. Be sure they are at least 3 feet from side walls, and at least 6 feet apart. The equalateral triangle to listening position is what polk reccomends. So if bringing them out farther into the room would create a better, triangular positioning, then go for it.
    By all means, you want the speakers back to be parallel to the back wall. (don't angle them in, as you would do with other speakers)

-Luc
  • sda2mike
    edited August 2005
    Options
    thanks for the replies! i'll let u know how the new paint sounds, too! :)
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Mike,

My owner's manual that came with the SDA-2s recommend at least six feet apart and three feet from the side walls. More would be better. Also, be sure the speakers are located at least three inches in front of your entertainment cabinent.

I got my SDA-2s about two months ago. I replaced the original tweeters with the silks. That was a good choice. I'm contemplating doing the caps and resistors. I haven't been able to talk to anyone who has done the SDA-2s. I understand all the SDA models are a little different.

Carl
    Carl

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited August 2005
    Options
    schwarcw wrote:
    Mike,

I haven't been able to talk to anyone who has done the SDA-2s. I understand all the SDA models are a little different.

Carl

Hi Carl,

My caps and resistors showed up today so I will upgrade my SRS 2's soon and post some pics. Here are a couple of threads I had bookmarked. They are SDA 2 and SDA 2B's, but close enough to get the idea. The SRS 2's will just add a couple of extra components to your parts order.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28959&highlight=sda+caps
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28024&highlight=sda+caps
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • sda2mike
    edited August 2005
    Options
    well, everything is freshly painted....the room looks great! i was able to kick the whole system, placement wise, about a foot to the left...before i had the side of a sofa blocking the lower end of the right speaker...nice difference...however, my placement probably still sucks for sda....my room is actually a lanai, with the sliding glass doors removed...the room dimensions are: 9 x 15 or so...the left spkr is abt 6 inches from the side wall..12'' further up that wall is a huge sliding glass door....the right side is abt 18" from the side wall..this wall is only abt 18"...it used to hold a slider...then the room opens to huge living room...while they sound great and i know the sda is working, it's not very noticable on all recordings...best one so far is mark knopfler..sailing to phila....and most pink floyd, some classical stuff, too...i guess i'm stuck with this position for awhile....until we upgrade the house...i want a man-cave ;)
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited August 2005
    Options
    The book calls for the speakers to be 5 in from the back walls, but then its only a guideline and dependent on your room. Sounds as though your sidewall placements are choking the SDA effect a bit. As BobMcG stated you may be better off with them pulled out a bit with your sidewall restrictions.

RT1