LSI line Finally Demo'd

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,032
edited June 2002 in Speakers
I finally did a good demo of the LSI line.
I spend 3 hours there for a complete(maybe not)listen.They had all models in stock.The first speaker I listened to was the LSI7's.My first reaction was dissapointment.They sounded horrible.They where already playing in the room I went into.I found the problem of the horrible sound.They where Hooked up to Yamaha rxv3000.Not a good match at all.**** I will add.
I found a Pioneer Elite vsx 47tx which I'm real familiar with its sonic properities.So away I went.Using the Pioneer with the Elite dv47a dvd Player which I own and know exactly how it sounds.
I went right for the LSI 15's.sitting there in cherry,as the rest of them where,I noticed they are darker cherry then Id hoped for.Nice but slightly dark.The build quality isn't as good as I thought.Almost sloppy,the wood panels where slightly off center,you have to look for it but I'm as Anal as they come.The Black lacquer was real nice touch,I was suprised to find it on the back as well.The power port and carpet spikes where real close to the new rti series as they where there as well.The mid bass drivers seem to be right out of the rt line.They even had the slightly sloppy glue marks.No matter though, build quality is the last thing on my mind right now so I will get to the good stuff!!!
Sound.............Man I don't know how to post what I heard,I have real mixed feeling about the LSI line.Better then the first time I heard them but not exactly what I was hoping for.
The Pioneer Elite receiver powered them with ease,Dynamic range didn't suffer at all.
I started my listening with Train "Hopeless" from the "Drops of Jupiter" cd and SACD as I own both and brought both.I listened to the regular cd first.Detail was what lacking slightly as everything was there but the air I'm used to hearing On the Dynaudio 72 and 82's just wasn't there.But they Image extremly well and have a bigger soundstage then the rt line.Comparing this track on my rt1000i's,the LSI 15's clearly had a laidback fuller sound with much better controled bass.I played this song 3 times to listen for every detail.The LSI 15's didn't really let me down that much as they did have a much better sound then the rt line,but I'm starting to think the Dynaudio's would have there way with them.
I didn't want to jump to soon, so I desided to stay for awhile and listen to a number of different songs I know well.Next up was the SACD of the same song,The LSI's can play SACD much better then I was ready for,I seems like they where more designed for higher resolution music as they came to life and some air came back into the picture.Air I mean the seperate sounds having the ability to be extremly clear as if they where the only sound comming from the speaker,if you focus on them.I know the difference in the SACD vs the CD and now I was Impressed with the speakers.Very nice.
Next I went back to regular cd and listened to Lorenna Mckinnitt.The Mask and Mirror cd.The hole cd...something I rarely do in someone elses demo room.I sat there and found that the female voice came across soft yeat powerfull when called apon.Amazing,She is so good,her voice can make you feel deep inside her music like she was sitting there next to you stroking your hair and face singing to you personally.Anyone who has heard her sing can relate to what I just said.When she sings"the dark night of the soul"I loose my knees,and my heart starts beating harder,the LSI's delivered the Emotional responce I was after.I got to listen to the music and not sit there and study the speaker,thats what I love about speakers,everything thats makes me, is there.
I had to change the beat as I wanted to stay for the day.So in went stain'd"breaking the Cycle" cd and i played "Epiphany".I started to find faults in the speakers with this track.Again I know the track backwards and forwards.The Dynaudios recreate a live performance with Aaron Watters sitting on a stool playing his guitar singing.The LsI's lost some of that experience as they sounded like 2 speakers trying to go.The bass responce was very controlled but not near deep enough.They fell off in the low extention on that track,If you know the track, you know what I'm talking about.Nevertheless,they where clean and clear,And I was happy overall with there presentation of that song,pleasing if you will, but didn't hold a candle to the Dynaudio's.
Next up was Dave Matthews" EveryDay"cd.I don't know it backwards or forwards but i had to bring it because it's DAVE.There is 2 tracks on this cd I like alot 'When the World Ends', and If I had it All'.This isnj't the best sounding Dave cd, but I like the music nonetheless.I was hear nor there how It sounded on the LSI 15's.Good not bad buy no WOW factor what so ever.
To finish off my insane demo as the Owner of the store thought I had a problem,No one demo's like that, that he has met.So I went for another SACD I brought along with me...Jerry Goldsmith and I ran the Star Trek Theme sound In multichannel.The LSI's started to Impress me once again,they opened up with great force.The Dynamic range of that recording coupled with the vsx47tx was deadly.And the LSI system was up for the challenge.The LSI center was sharp and clear and mated perfect with the LSI 15's.The soundstage was big and open.I liked what I heard.
Right now as I sit hear in my room Posting this post I can't for sure that they made me wanting me to take them home right now.I thought about it when I was in the Store,I asked myself if I should just take the system home,Pick up a Rel Storm III,stop by the shop and deside on Rotel seperates,the rsx1065,avr307 or the Pioneer Elite vsx49tx.
But the Dynaudios stopped me dead in my tracks,**** they are to beat.
But I like the Idea of Dipolar rears over monopoles as Dynaudio don't currently offer.The Polks do.Thats the one thing I like better in the LSI system right now,I'm sure after a couple of hours I will think of many things, but for now this is what I have to offer.
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
Post edited by mantis on

Comments

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited June 2002
    Well said and I enjoyed reading it.
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • OrangeToupee
    OrangeToupee Posts: 488
    edited June 2002
    Nice job, Mantis, and it sounds like the 82's would be the speakers you'd choose, were it your intention to put together a 2-channel system.
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    Thanks guys,
    No I'm building a New Theater.7.1 I will need out of my next speaker package.
    Now that I listened to my system at home,I find the LSI line slightly less Impressive.Not in a bad way but I think I expected alot out of them.
    They are a great system,2 channel is quite good overall.I'm gonna get my demo on for the Dynaudio's Monday if I get some time in the store.I will run the tracks and see how the LSI's measure up after I heard tem go.
    The Audience 82's are a hard speaker to follow for mains.They prove that everytime I hear something else.
    I'm starting to believe they are the speaker for me,But the LSI line needs more time to deside.
    I'd like some comments on other LSI owners and who listened to them, if they experienced what I did.And if they compared them to anything else.I compared them to the RTi100's as they where there.The rti100's didn't have a chance,they sounded so much better then when I heard them in CC,they sounded like crap there.The rti100's are a nice upgrade to the rt1000i's,they look cool.
    Dan
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited June 2002
    I really dislike the rt100's. Give me the rti70's and a psw350 any day.
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited June 2002
    I really think the speaker that shines in the LSi line is the 9. I think the 9s mated with a very nice musical subwoofer would aim to please. True, it's not a "2 channel" system in the traditional sense, but still I think it would sound very nice.

Yes, I have the 9s, and am in love with them. I mated them with a Arcam AVR-200 5.1 amp, and I can tell you the warmth of the Arcam mated with the clarity and "laid backness" of the LSi series makes for a very soothing and immersive experience. I was listening to Norah Jones last night and just kept hitting rewind and rewind on a couple songs, I felt like she was right in front of me.

I've listened to some ATC powered speakers, PSB, even Dynaudio and I just enjoy the LSis better because of the soundstage and clarity. I also think that Polk did most of it's testing of the LSi line on the higher quality material like DVD-A and SACD, and they tweaked them for those formats.

But alas! That's the beauty of audio, what might sound like **** for one person is a dream come true for another!

- Steven
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • tony27
    tony27 Posts: 49
    edited June 2002
    smaller drivers now? used to be 6 1/2 inch now smaller. is the lsi 9 worth it? how can you get a full sound with such small drivers?
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited June 2002
    tony,

bigger isn't always better.....I've got some old pioneers in the garage with some huge drivers, that quite frankly don't hold a candle to my old Polk R2's.

I'd say go check them out, all the print that I've seen on the LSi's has been glowing. Given the inefficiency and 4ohm rating, I'd also suggest listening to them with a good power amp, rather than a receiver.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    Steve@3di,
    I felt that the LSI sounded LAID BACK compared to the rti line.They are nice sounding speakers,one of Polk's best to date as far as I remember.
    I have been thinking of them all weekend long.
    I have home a pair of Dynaudio Contour 1.3mkII's and they are just a fuller sounding and wider filling the room speaker.They have a sence of air that can't be matched by any other speaker Ive demo'd.
    The down side to having them home is they showed me how bad my gear sounds.They show off ALL it's flaws.
    I demo'd the Contour 1.3mkII vs my Rt1000i's just for the sheer hell of it.
    And to keep things completey fair I lowered the sub level on the rt1000i's and tried to match the Dynaudios bass out as they are bookshelf speakers.And I used the Denon avr3801 for 2 reasons,so I didn't have to re wire the mains and I traded my B&K st140 for another Middle Alantis Rack thats smaller then the one I own I need it for multiroom audio in my new house.
    I wired the Dynaudio's up to the Multiroom out.They showed my that the Denon does't really care for 4 ohm loads.At higher volumes at -15db, it started to struggle to power the Dynaudio's where it powered the Polk's easy.
    It was no contest as I didn't expect it to be, the Dynaudio's just showed my all the flaws in the sound of my rt1000i's.I thought the Polk's Imaged really well and had a big sound stage.The Dynaudio's prooved wrong by filling from wall to wall and had no holes in the sound.Everything was clear in airy.I could focus on any one Instrument and never be overlaid by another.So good.
    Well The test didn't last more then an hour as I was fed up with my Polk's.I listened to the Dynaudio 1.3 mkII 's for the rest of the night.
    I got to leave for work in an hour so the Dynaudio's will go back to the store with me,They are used and black ash.I just borrowed them for the weekend.
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    TroyD,
    Yes the LSI line like power, receiver like lower end to even mid to high end struggle with them.
    The only receiver that sounded good so far as I heard was the Pioneer Elite vsx47tx.It has enough power and clean power to make them sing.
    I would love to hear the LSI line on Rotel.I think without testing it,They would make a deadly match.Rotel might wake up every last detail they are screaming to reproduce.When I ran SACD and DVD AUDIO, they woke up nicely.
    If you haven't demo'd them,I would make it a point, they are good,but as any really good speaker is,very picky what you run them with.
    Dan
  • Steve@3dai
    edited June 2002
    I don't think it's necessarily liking "power", but liking a high current 4ohm stable amp. My Arcam is only producing about 90w per channel in stereo, and 70w (8ohms) when driving 5 speakers. But, at the same time, when the music hits with a bassdrum or something, the amp doesn't crap out and leave the speaker hanging for power. I think that's crucial.

I know people that are driving sensative Martin Logans with this amp.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • TroyD
    edited June 2002
    Certainly I wouldn't question others opinions about what they hear or what they like but I do have to question this Dane/RT1000i comparison......

If you say that an 86db/4 ohm speaker driven by a reciever that is admittedly underpowered for the task sounds superior to a 90db (or so)/8 ohm speaker driven by the same receiver.......I gotta think something just isn't right there. When a receiver strains under those loads usually there are some pretty obvious sonic effects. If the Contours STILL sounded better than the RT1000's, that is pretty bad news for the Polks.

Essentially what this tells me is that those RT1000's must really blow donkey.

BDT
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2002
    Troy, they do blow donkey, per Mantis at least....remember the quote:

' they just lack good detail,depth,clean and cear midrange,crystal high's and solid lows'

Hey Troy, hidden secret, RatShack and Pioneer used to be in bed together.....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Steve@3dai
    edited June 2002
    I've never really like the sound of Pioneer amps, I've listened to their low-end, midrange, and their Elite series and they never "got my goose" per se.

Maybe I just like the UK sound better? I think so.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited June 2002
    Can't say I'm surprised with the outcome of this demo.

Aaron
  • TroyD
    edited June 2002
    I'll agree that the dane is probably a better speaker but those results with that amplification?? I dunno.......I gotta think there was some negative impact.

BDT
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    I can comment on that.
    Yes It did, the Denon struggled at higher volumes.It was ok at best under lower volumes.
    Yes the Dynaudio's still sounded and out classed my Polk's in the worse amp setup they should ever see.They don't belong on a receiver period.They need good clean powerfull amps with tons of head room.Picky little things they are.

Russman,
    you have an uncanny way of remembering everything I say.Are you stalking me???Are wanting a Kiss from me as well???Or was it you who posted that as well????
    So I'll end on this note....they(rt1000p's) blow donkey,you got your read on correctly.
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    TroyD,
    Probably is an understatement.Destory is better terminology.
    When are you going to do some hardcore testing??Id like to hear your comments on some testing you did.
    Russman what about you,
    DO YOU GUYS GOT YOUR DEMO ON OR WHAT????
    Come on guys!!!!
    Heres the Hidden secret of the day......................
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited June 2002
    Demo?? Check the 2ch forum, Russ and I both have done a couple of demos in the past couple weeks.

Personally, I'd never pay that for a pair of bookshelves. Here in Charleston, the demo opportunities are pretty slim. Having said that, I personally won't go out of my way to demo gear that I couldn't realistically own.

Another good point was made about the danes, at that price, I don't think that anyone would expect the Polks to seriously compete....

BDT
  • RuSsMaN
    edited June 2002
    Well, consistency man, thats the operative word here.

You post how transparent and awesome the 1000's are, especially when bi-wired (on multiple occasions, using a variety of 'positive' adjectives), and you also post that they blow donkey (see rant above)....

Which is it man? You either have the 1000's in your 'sole', or you don't.....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    Well Russman if your consistant as you say you are, you can see the begining of the end.
    If you follow what I post then you can clearly answer that question for yourself.
    The past is then,the future is tomarrow.
    I can put it this way for now.......I'm searching for my" sole"mate.
    Do you have one??I don't.
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    TroyD,
    No good hi fi stores in your area ???that stinks.
    You wouldn't pay that for a pair of bookshelf's???
    I wonder........How much are you willing to pay for perfection,or the closest thing to it?
    Are you completely happy with your current speakers???
    How much is 2 much to pay for speakers....floor or what have you?
    My line falls around 3 to 4 grand for mains.If I can find a pair around 2500.00 or alittle less,my wallet will smile,so will mrs.Mantis.Thats about what I'm willing to pay for a pair.
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    edited June 2002
    Originally posted by mantis
    The past is then,the future is tomarrow.

Im not sure I follow ya here Dan. Are you saying the RT1000's were great in the past, but suck now? In your mind at least? I haven't met many people in the hobby that change their mind this drastically over a certain speaker. Whether it be $200 a pair, or $20,000 a pair, if it sounds good (to you)then, it should sound good now too.

I guess maybe you haven't quite had enough exposure, or 'time' to find the sound you really like, or are looking for. The way I see it, you loved your Polk rig until you heard Vienna. Your posts 6 ago or some such, raved about Vienna, and how they were simply the best thing next to sliced bread. Well, now you've heard the Danes, and so much for Vienna, or Polk for that matter.

Not saying you just like the newest demo best, but you discount prior statements you have made. I don't care if I demo, say the Grand Enigma System, and it blows my skirt up, it's not going to make me think any less of my Kef's...... My review of them would still be the same......

Cheers,
    Russ

Oh, and I'm not much for Sole, I'm a big-**** Swordfish steak kinda guy......
  • Steve@3dai
    edited June 2002
    Originally posted by mantis
    How much are you willing to pay for perfection,or the closest thing to it?

Home speakers will never re-create a live set or even a studio set, so perfection isn't possible.

How much would I pay? Not enough for some people. Everyone has their own pocketbook, and how much they can spend out of it. But I also know people that can afford MUCH better equipment, but are happy with their current setup and don't change anything.

And I doubt a bookshelf is "the closest thing to it" there tiger.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    I would have to answer that as a mature thing I guess.
    In the past I loved my Polk's,I was happy to own them as they where the best thing I had ever owned.Right up untill Tweeter got in Vienna,then I starting to listen very closely,Finding them to tickle my fansy.I still to this day like them alot.
    Then Dynaudio came into my life with suprising grace,loving and holding.Bring my taste to a new level.The LSI lines came out and I couldn't get my demo on anywhere to save my life.I made it a point to get my demo on with them as I want new speakers.
    The entire vision quest i'm on is to find the right speaker for my new theater room I'm building in my new home.
    As you know I worked for tweeter and now Soundex.I got my demo on everyday I work.When your around different kinds of speakers everyday,then ones better then what you own,you want better,I switch out gear quit often,new latest and greatest used to float my boat.Now I'm just looking for the right sound for me.One day I will find it,I'm closer now then ever.The journey is almost over.For me.........I live for the journey.
    Dan
  • OrangeToupee
    OrangeToupee Posts: 488
    edited June 2002
    "Then Dynaudio came into my life with suprising grace,loving and holding." ~~ Funny stuff!

Hey, I'm with you, Mantis, I want those effin' 82 very badly now. I been contacting folks, it won't be terribly long now before I have them. I'm still trying to figure out which way to go on amps. One day I want to go with NAD's C370 and bridge it with the C270 for 300X2; I think that would be a decent combo. Then the next day I'm only interested in hybrid amps, Jolida's and such. Then I see those used Bryston 4b's out there ..... cripes, but I'm getting close, too.
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    Steve@3dai,
    Have you ever sat down and experienced Dynaudio?
    Maybe the bookshelfs are or aren't perfection to some or others.The way you get moved is what perfection means to me.When a system can loose you into the music....thats perfection to me.
    If you want to know what I think is perfection is everyway,Go listen to Dynaudio Confidence C4's mated with Krell 300 monoblock, krell transport and preamp.Transparent Reference wire and Interconnects,Balanced out to Monoblocks listening to Lorenna McKinnitt singing.......to me thats perfection.A dream, but perfect perfection in everyway.Only thing thats could take that out would be Lorenna singing to me personally in my livingroom.
    I'm willing to spend a **** amount for Theater perfection,Because I know after I finish my room ,I'll be finished for a long time.It's been a dream of mine for years,now realality is getting closer.

OrangeToupe,
    I feel real stong about them,I'm a passinate person when it comes to gear and the whole hobbie in general.
    Sounds like your juiced up like me.
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited June 2002
    I'm with Steve, perfection can't be had and certainly not for 2500 bucks.

For me, it's hard to say how much I'd pay for a pair of speakers, 2500 isn't out of the realm of possibility but I wouldn't pay it for a pair of bookshelves. I've said it before, I've yet to run in to anything that would make me part with a large chunk of cash in lieu of the DQ-10's and that includes anything by ML that I've heard or the Maggie 3.6's. Every speaker has tradeoffs and so far the DQ-10's are the most in line with my tastes.

Same thing with amps, sure, you could do better than Carver but not for the price.......

In the end, I agree with Russ in that I've never heard anything that made me go back and think less of the gear I own. Again, it's not about money per se, it's about enjoyment and I can tell you that regardless of what I own, I enjoy it for what it is. I don't listen to it wishing it was something else.

BDT
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    Basically thats what I'm after,
    Finding the right combo for my system.Finding speakers is hard,for me I have found several that I like alot.
    My Polk's have served me well over the years and when they go I hope they go to a happy home and get shown love like I gave them.
    Dan